Friday, July 7, 2017

The Lily Barn 2017 Season


Close up of a pair of Water Goblin lilies 


The Lily Barn 2017 Season 


Dana Koogler

Friday June 30, 2017

Pictures are here starting with frame 179 


   I left the house on an overcast morning with my first goal being to GPS and photograph the 
heirloom gladiolas in Cades Cove. I was prepared to spend all day if necessary, but I did not believe
it was going to take that long.   I figured half day.  My plan was then to continue on to The Lily Barn
as I do nearly every Summer.   I could combine the two trips and make a full day of it.   
I stopped by Dollar General and bought rain gear and dry clothes.  I wiped off some of the mud. I put
on dry clothes and rain poncho. I toted my umbrella and waded out in the rain strolling around 
through the lilies.  The place was very pretty as usual.  

     The little stream flowing along the edge of the property near the road was full of minnows.
I saw dragonflies and damsel flies zipping around lighting on flowers and grass.  The lilies were not as plentiful as they have been other years.  I was very glad I took some of the photos I did in the past, because now it is no longer possible to shoot those scenes.   I love how they have old signs with lichen growing on them. They are hard to read though.  Some don't have names by them.   I also like how this place has several types of lilies that have old names. Joann Barbre.    They also have quite a few heirloom species of flowers.   
Creek at LB edited
   Stream at The Lily Barn on the grounds.  
   
  I started with the lily fields first and then worked my way toward the rest of the grounds and the barn.  I looked at every single type and photographed nearly all of them.  It is a riot of color and a feast for the eyes.   I was dry in my rain gear and was protecting my camera with the umbrella.  

 IMG_3487
Ribbons of colorful lilies overspread the fields
IMG_3458
Loved the lilies with rain drops.  

IMG_3484
Lots of traditonal Hemerocallis fulva  their old name is Ditch lilies since they are frequently seen growing in roadside ditches.  They spread and naturalize.
Line of Corryton Pink
 Corryton Pink is one of my favorites. Corryton is a town in north Knox County.   It is a town where the also famous Oakes Daylily Farm is located.   The difference is that you are only permitted to 
visit the Oakes Lily farm four weekends per year. They will allow garden club groups to schedule tours and appointments.  They are bigger outfit for sure. I'd like to go there next year. The Lily Barn doesn't mind you coming and visiting and walking any time as long as their is not an event going on.
I seldom see more than one other person here when I visit.  Great for tranquility and solitude.

     
IMG_3613
          Above are pictured Blackberry Lilies.  They are a type of iris. They grow from bulbs. 
They are an old cultivar.  I consider these an heirloom species.  They also bloom at home sites in Cades Cove.   

 The Lily Barn has other things going for it besides beautiful cultivated types of flowers.
It is located in the Great Smoky Mountains and though it lies outside the boundaries of the National Park.. it has some of the same stuff there.  I was surprised to find Mountain camellias blooming by the stream in one spot.  It made the second new location for them this year.  

IMG_3564

Stewartia ovata.. mountain camellia.   It requires rich,moist, loamy soil and shade to flourish.
It was growing by the stream.  The creek today was flowing beautifully making its music thanks to 
all the recent rain.  I saw several spots along it today that I felt compelled to just stand and gaze. I took lots of photos of various spots along it today.
IMG_3562
Another lovely spot along the creek today.  Near where I found the camellias.  I loved all the vibrant greens and the shimmer of the water.   Sycamore trees hang their limbs down over this spot. I thought to myself that all I needed to make my life complete was a pair of patent leather church shoes to wade the creek in as I did when I was a little girl and my life would be complete.  :-D



   One of the neat things I saw today was a lady who was walking her dogs. She was training a pair of border collies on their commands.  They greeted me and I got to watch a little bit.  Beautiful dogs and very smart and friendly.   She was a nice person and interesting.  One of the things that came up in our conversation about the flowers and plants was the topic of Cades Cove. She had heard that the park service is cutting down some type of plant or wildflower species that the monarch butterflies need as a food source and egg laying source.  I told her I didn't know anything about that.  I do know that they have stopped grazing cattle, replanted native grasses, doing controlled burns, and stopped mowing as much. They have decided to permit native cane species thrive also.  I kinda got the feeling she either got some bad information or didn't know what she was talking about.  Everything that I've seen and read points in the exact opposite direction.

     Primrose path at the Lily Barn

One of my favorite scenes from my walk here today.  The barn itself and the path leading up to it.
So many beautiful colors.  Rusty roof is one of my favorite colors. No kidding!

Here is another vignette I loved. The lichen crusted park bench in  quiet spot with the lone blackberry lily reaching toward it.  It is charming.

    IMG_3520

The lilies pictured above are called Spanish Harlem .  I love the name.

IMG_3602
This is another heirloom variety of flower.  Italian Lords and Ladies. Arum italicum. It grows in many colors. White. Purple. Bright Yellow. Pale green.  They are pretty the entire time they are up for the year. The foliage is beautiful and interesting. The bloom is beautiful and long lasting. The berry pod is also bright red and attractive. It is easy to see why these have been around so long.


IMG_3616
Here is another example of an heirloom flower. Lucifer Crocosmia is another old cultivar grown from bulbs. They originated in Africa like many types of gladiolas.  You see them here contrasting their bold red blooms against Blue Clips.  The blue clips bloom in Virginia in the mountains naturally.

Above is pictured Siloam Springs lily. It was first introduced in 1963 by Pauline Henry. She was an award winning gardener and originator of the Siloam lily.  They usually have a ruffled edge.

IMG_3604

One last shot of a beautiful blending of colors and textures from along the paths.

  I highly recommend a stroll through the grounds of The Lily Barn.  They sell lilies on their website or you can buy them there.  They also sell perennials and native wildflowers.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝