Friday, July 20, 2018

Grist Mill Frustrations!


Pretty roses blooming at an old home site


Grist Mill Frustration! 

Kenny, Dana & Gabriel Koogler 

Saturday June 16, 2018

Pictures are here: Grist Mill Gallery


    I'd been having to get out and do shorter hikes and drives thanks to being in the mamahood
again.  Kenny's back surgery and recovery and time and energy limits have really changed things up.
I started seeing some very pretty and intriguing photos of old grist mills on a Facebook group I belong to.   It really inspired me. A couple things occurred to me about the grist mill topic:
1. how historic most of them are 2. how many I had already visited over the years in two or three states.  3.  How many of them were by pretty water features.  I decided right then I needed to
start going to see  more of them. I set out to learn which ones were in my area. I also decided from
now on when I plan a trip to a given area I would check for grist mills nearby.  Why not go see them as well? 

     I  was wishing for a database of mills like there is a Tennessee Landforms database for various other features I like to visit.   I happened upon just such a website in my surfing the internet.  Actually I found two sites.  Society for the Preservation of Old Mills




I also found this one and it is even better.  Mill Pictures
I was thrilled to find that there are quite a number in my own county and in the nearby counties.
I found out I could head up toward Dandridge and see  six listed within Jefferson County, Tennessee.
I talked to Kenny and we set out to make that a Saturday trip. I figured close as they all were
it would be a short drive. We'd have a couple hour adventure and go by Cowboy's on the Water
at Douglas Lake to try that restaurant for lunch.     It was in the immediate area and I figured
we'd make the Valentine Mill the last one to see prior to going for lunch.

     We were in for a series of disappointments and frustrations.  I figured many of these mills were
private property, but checked them out on Google maps. All of them were near the road.  I reasoned that at the very least we could find them and take a photo of the outside without any problems.
I was really pleased to learn that the Valentine Mill was a working grist mill and general store.
I was counting on that being the best one of the day. 

      I would like to know why anyone would purchase a highly visible, historic grist mill or any other structure, and then post signs saying NO PHOTOS!  Its utter B.S.  It can't be enforced. No one can stop another person from taking a photo from a public road.   I encountered not only private property, no trespassing signs, but that very thing.   One mill in Dandridge had NO PHOTOS signs up.
The owners must be very grouchy and not terribly smart.    It turned out to be not a very warm, welcoming type atmosphere.  I figured what the heck... we'd go on to Cowboys and eat lunch.
No luck on that one either.  Cowboys on the Water is only open for dinner from four p.m. onward.
So we live and learn. 

       The most frustrating thing of all was totally unexpected.  The Valentine Mill & Store which were supposed to be open.. a working grist mill and store are CLOSED for good apparently.   Store is completely empty.  Doors locked at the mill.    It is not going to sour me on the liking of mills and wanting to visit them.  I will just hope for better experiences at the ones to come.

   
Above and below.. what views I could get of the Dumplin Mill at New Market 

 Hunnicut Mill-- the one with the NO PHOTOS signs. Brain donors! 
 K.C. French Mill
  Valentine Mill & Country store.  Now no longer operating. 

      So that was one trip.  It all bombed out.  We went to Cracker Barrel on the way home and we all had a good lunch and went home to take naps. 

   A few weeks later on June 22, 2018... we went to the Oakes Daylily Festival. I have to write up the
TR on that one.   I looked at there was a mill near it.  Out at Blaine TN there is Richland Creek Mill.
It has been restored and has a fascinating history.  We went by there only to be met by the same no trespassing signs posted heavily at the mill and the surrounding area.   I came home and started asking round as to the likelihood of the owners permitting me to come visit and photograph just the outside of the mill???  I found out from this friend that she was allowed to do so very reluctantly by the owner with the caveat that she not publish it's location.  I knew right then I'd best give up on it for now.   Going and asking is not going to be received well or result in permission granted.  It could also put my friend in a position to be questioned as to her keeping her word.  It isn't worth it. 
 above.. all I could see was a structure from the mill weir. Very pretty covered in trumpet vine.
Below another glimpse of the creek.    So close and yet so far.


  Just know before you go that you stand a good chance on lots of these of being lucky if you can get a glimpse of even the outside of the mill.   I'm sure there are plenty others that fall into this category.

     Here are the ones I''m most looking forward to visiting soon.: 

Cross-eyed Cricket Mill and Campground in Roane County. Completely accessible! 
Re-visit Ely's Mill along Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail 
Reagan Tub Mill on Roaring Fork
Cable Mill in Cades Cove
Mingus Mill in Smokemont.
Rice Mill in Norris Lake area
Hacker Mill at Museum of Appalachia

All of these are public access.

Below are a couple of accessible mills I've visited. 

VA 313-X2
Kennedy Wade Mill in Wade's Mill, Va.  I lived four or five miles from this mill and bought all my flour there. It is a working mill and gourmet shop.   You won't find any NO TRESPASSING signs there.  

Blowing Cave Mill Cocke Co TN

Above: Blowing Cave Mill in Cocke County, Tennessee. It is out near Forbidden Caverns attraction. You have to pass it on the way.  You can feel free to stop and look around here.  My grandson Michael and I went. You can see him in the bottom of the frame.



VA 237-X2
Moffatt's Creek Roller Mill... beautiful cascade behind it and as long as you pull well off the road by the mill it is ok to get out and explore the creek and cascade and take pictures.  Be respectful of the property.  This is less than a mile from my old house in Virginia. 

    Virginia has lots of mills and the one's I'd visited were always welcoming.  Tennessee has got plenty of them and so does North Carolina.   Just have to take my chances and hope for the best on which ones will be ok to really visit and enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝