Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Wildcat Falls 2018

Some variety of buttercup blooming 

Wildcat Falls 2018

Dana Koogler & Wally Storey

Friday June 8, 2018

Pictures are here:  Wildcat Falls Pix 2018




and more detailed photos of the area and the whole hike from a 
previous trip in Autumn are here: Autumn Hike to Wildcat Falls



  I got a call from my friend Wally Storey wanting to get up for a hike.  I was keen to say yes.
He tossed out several ideas for places he wanted to try. We hit on Wildcat Falls in Slickrock
Wilderness. It is not a good place to hike solo and neither of us would feel comfortable doing so.
It is a very pretty hike and though I'd done it several times before no one needed to  twist my arm
to talk me into going again.  He has already completed the Carolina Mountain Club's Waterfall 100
Challenge. He is currently working on Kevin Adam's lists.  He lacked only five or so on that list!
Wildcat Falls was one of them.   We planned to meet up at the Big Fat Gap trailhead Friday morning.

    Wally is a fine friend with lots in common.  He has also experienced being tied down with family 
obligations recently and knows what that is like for me.   It was great to get out.   I had a bad sinking
spell in my mood just prior to this planned trip.   I was down in the dumps over the struggles with
Jared & Lydia and their drug problems.  Although Jared is doing well our daughter in law appears to be still struggling.  It has been tough and it grieves me to see what Gabriel is being subjected to 
on account of it.   I try to maintain a positive outlook, but sometimes I don't succeed.  

    We met up at the trailhead and exchanged greetings and got going. We did not want to goof off
too much since the afternoon forecast was for a thunder storm.    It was good seeing Wally again.
We enjoyed a nice day in the woods. I did not talk as much or take as many photos as usual. Mostly
because I was in a funk, but partly because I had been a couple times before.   

   We had no problems finding our way, but could see the trails and creek fords were showing some signs of damage from previous storms.  Lots of downed trees.  I would have had a much harder time 
finding out which way to go had I not been a couple times already.   It is a wilderness and while
I think it is in pretty good shape it is not maintained to National Park or State Park standards.

    It was a hot day and the high temperature for the day was ninety-five back home.
I am sure it wasn't that hot here, but it was still nice to ford the cold mountain creeks and 
splash around and swim today.    I felt blessed to have a good friend who doesn't give up on me
even when I am not the best company. By days end Wally had me in a much better mood and 
my outlook for the future far more positive. Thanks my friend.  :-)  Thank the Good Lord for
sending us people in our lives to care for us when we are not at our best.  

   Wildcat Falls rides the state line as does the Slickrock trail between North Carolina and Tennessee.
We got there without incident.   A massive tree was down and lapped over the area where you climb down the bank to reach the falls.   Another spot where it would have been easy to miss an important land mark.   We made it down to the creek.  I could not wait. I waded right in to that icy water.
Even I thought this water was very cold.  I managed to jump in briefly to cool off, but it was the kind of cold that turns you bright red at once.   You don't stay in long!  Wally got in also.   After we cooled off we ate some lunch and rested.   The day was beautiful.  The only bad thing today was the gnats were thick.  Kenny and I had the same problem hiking here in Summer the first time! 
    
Above and below.. Wildcat Falls. I love the pebbles in the shoal in front of it.   


 Above and below... closer views of the shimmery, clear water and colorful pebbles.
 Below: Looking downstream on Slickrock Creek at the falls.



The hike back out was not eventful.  No falls or slips or trouble.  We only encountered a few other hikers all day.  The hike back out isn't bad until you get to a point where the uphill starts. Even that is not bad if you just take your time and pace yourself.  It is tough in the heat though.   One crazy thing that happened was near the top of the trail.  Just before our last big push to the top I was going super slow because it was so hot.  I was just in front of Wally.  I heard a steady buzzing, but did not see any bees yet.  I looked round to see a yellow jacket nest in and around a tree ahead of us.   We just eased on past quickly and carefully and neither of us got stung!  That is a great accomplishment far as I am concerned.  I have been stung wading up into the middle of yellow jackets before!  Very thankful we were able to avoid getting stung!

   Thanks Wally for including me in your day and for being a wonderful friend. I look forward to our next adventure. I also look forward to meeting Kathy.   You guys gotta be great. Anyone who has the same sense of humor as me is awright!  

Below is a short video of the falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝