Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Kyles Ford Falls and Elrod Falls

Pair of daylilies growing by the road


Kyles Ford Falls and Elrod Falls 

Kenny & Dana Koogler 

Tues. June 4, 2018

Kyles Ford Falls 


   We had a chance to get out for just a short day trip together.  I don't know why, but I just had a hankering to do something completely different.  I wanted to see some area we had never visited before.   I did what I often do to figure where I want to explore.  I got on the internet and began
surfing for information. Usually something will capture my imagination and inspire me to go
in one direction or another.    I felt a pull toward rural isolation.   I wanted off the beaten track.
I wanted seldom seen.   When you pick totally unfamiliar areas you run the risk of having the trip turn out very sucky.   I knew my poor spirit was not going to bear up to sucky right now and
neither would Kenny's.    I put a lot into the digging.   I found enough little visited waterfalls
and spots in the Rogersville, Hancock County area that seemed to fit the bill.   Kenny was agreeable.
The drive was not bad at all. Mostly interstate and the rest beautiful rural routes.   We were able
to get there from home in an hour and a half. 

    While digging for spots to visit I ran upon a website for River Place on the Clinch.
I had long wanted to go snorkeling in the Clinch River around its shoals.  It is a very clean river in
Tennessee. It is home to many species of freshwater mussels and types of fish that don't usually live
in our area.   I found the web site for River Place to be really helpful.  It even had maps on it.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Kyles Ford Falls listed on the map!  I had never even heard of it.  I checked the map out and then compared it against known waterfalls listed in that area on Tennessee Landforms. I figured it was possible it was a known falls being called by a different name.
It didn't take long to realize it was a new, unlisted falls.   That discovery removed any lingering doubts or ideas of changing trip ideas.  We had to go! 

      Another exciting possibility when visiting a totally new area is that we may end up
wandering around our butts to get to our elbow.   You know us by now dear reader......... we like
pain and suffering so trail confusion or "We're LOST" is always fun!  (NOT!)
Sure enough we managed to score one for TEAM LOST today.  Not knowing where to go we foolishly followed the Tomtom letting it lead us.  It took us on some of the most God forsaken
roads you ever saw in your born days.   We are used to rural isolation, but this was really out there.
Finally we got turned round and headed back along the Clinch River figuring if we kept going east we'd soon be in Virginia.  If we headed west......... we'd soon intersect a larger, more traveled road.
We came out at the Kyles Ford Bridge.  I recognized it from the photo I'd seen of it. I like old bridges too.  I use BridgeHunter.com   to help me when planning trips.   We headed toward the bridge.
Beside it sat River Place on the Clinch. It was lunch time so we decided our trip would start there.


 above: Kyles Ford bridge.  If you go looking for the sea foam green version of it.. you won't find it. It has been repainted a more neutral color.  The decking is all removed as well.
 Above looking upstream on the Clinch River. Not going snorkeling in that today.
Looking downstream from Kyles Ford Bridge.  The water levels are high, swift and muddy from recent flooding.

 Above and below-- views of the outside of River Place on the Clinch.



 above and below.. sitting out on the porch of River Place for lunch.


 

Kenny waiting on our lunch order to arrive. He's taking advantage of the free wifi signal at River Place.   phone service is spotty at best thus not going to be  using Google maps on the road!  We've done almost enough wandering round for the day.
 
   We went in to River Place and were greeted by two lovely ladies who made us feel welcome.
We sat on the porch to eat lunch. It was a perfect day.   Lunch was nothing fancy, but boy was it tasty.
Kenny had a cheeseburger and fries. I had a BLT.  It was just right.   The other thing we got from the nice ladies was directions to get us oriented for our hike to Kyles Ford Falls.   It is apparently one of those spots well known to locals and fairly well visited.   It is on TWRA property. 
Two routes are possible to hike to these falls. One begins near the TWRA conservation center along the main road. The other is an obscure, but shorter trail that starts off Horton Ford Road beside a red barn.   Waypoint for Kyles Ford Falls  also a link to 

printable maps.  

 below is a shot of the red barn by the trailhead.  There are TWO red barns on this road, but only one of them is on the correct side...... the RIGHT side heading east.



The trail head has ample parking and is well marked.
The trail hiked from this point is shorter. The next time I'd like to hike in from the other way.  Looks like on Google Earth satellite view there are some historic structures along the path. The hike from here winds up the ridge and over and into the woods.  It has a few wildflowers along it, but is on the non descript side.  Below is a view to be had along the way.



View out over the rolling hills from the Kyles Ford Falls trail.
Finally the switchbacks in the shady forest bring you out at the stream and Kyles Ford Falls spilling down the mountain.  A fellow on Facebook said his mom's people lived up on that ridge and that the spring that forms this falls was the drinking water source for their family!  I found that interesting and heart warming.  Nothing like hearing from the folks who lived there!
Below is a short video of Kyles Ford Falls.  It is not the most spectacular falls, but it is pretty and
had plenty of water flowing today.   The hike back to it was easy.


We enjoyed the falls and the cool shady woods around it before we hiked back to the jeep.
The day was growing ever hotter.


  Elrod Falls 

  We  headed back out Horton Ford Road and across SR 33 the Kyles Ford Highway past a crumbling down brick school and lots of derelict houses.    The Clinch River was on our left nearly the whole way.   Once we got to the intersection with SR 31 we took a left and headed toward the community of Treadway which is the closest named place to the falls.  The falls is situated in a community park. Parking is provided and is ample.  They have a couple picnic tables and a pavilion, but there are no facilities here.   The picnic tables and pavilion both look like they've seen better days.   We got out and there was only one other vehicle at the trailhead.   The walk to the falls is 0.1 mile or less.
The stream on the way is remarkably clear and full of small scenic cascades.   Lush green ferns grew near the trail.  We saw the man and woman who belonged to the car.   The rocks around the falls are sloped and very slippery. Kenny was having to be extra careful because the sensation and strength in his left leg and foot still were not normal.   Elrod Falls is astonishingly beautiful.  The water is clear, but also has a slight blue green cast to it when it forms the plunge pool.     I waded around in the water cooling off.   Kenny stayed on the opposite side. The couple we saw told us how to reach the upper falls and said there was a rope to hold onto, but to be careful that it was steep and very slippery.

 Above is the main drop of Elrod Falls.   You can see the greenish tint to the water.

   Below is a short video of it.


   We were not 100% certain we were going to climb up to the next falls.  I wanted to very much, but it wasn't worth Kenny getting hurt.  I helped him steady himself on me while he rock hopped the stream to get across below the main falls.    Once over there he could take a closer look at the climb and decide for himself what we'd do.  He got over there and was checking it out while I finished taking photos,and  soaking in the beauty of the falls.   What a special place this is.
I looked up once I packed my camera away only to find Kenny hooting at me from way up high.
He was fine! He'd gone ahead and come back for me!  He was actually helping ME with the climb.
Pointing out better holds and approaches.  He always wants to manage me and sometimes I am awfully glad he does.   This was one of those times. The rope was stout and reliable, but the rocks were super slick. Some of the steps up were rooty and far apart.    It was a very short climb though and once past the brink of the lower falls we were at the upper!  It is even prettier than the lower.
It has a very cobwebby appearance. I think the rock there is tuf.. or marl. It is rock that forms from plant matter absorbing minerals from the water.  Eventually if it absorbs enough minerals and the conditions are just right it will become travertine which is harder stone.
Tuf is crumbly.    I stood for a long time photographing the upper falls and just enjoying its beauty.

   We were growing tired and had an 1.5 hour drive home.   We began our climb back down.
I had to really take my time and that turned out to be a good thing.  On the climb down I could see a little girl in the plunge pool swimming with a pink inner tube.   I got closer I could see her father and mother.  I looked at the man and he smiled up at me.   All the Jesus bumps raised up on me.....
I got a good look at all of them.  They were melungeon.  Local folks with that same mixed race heritage as me.   The woman looked like my mother. The man looked like the men in my family.
The  little girl looked like my mom when she was a child.  He stared at me and I at him both of us just grinning.   Something passed between us.  I think sometimes when we are near our own kind we just know. They smell right.    I was extra glad to have come here.   I wished I had not waited so long to come.   Yet I am very glad to have finally visited. 

        Below is a short video of the upper falls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝