Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Maple Hill RV Park Camping Trip-- Historic Jamestown & Shopping in Crossville


Daylily growing in the gardens of Mr. Frank Lacey


Maple Hill RV Park Camping Trip-- Day3

Historic Jamestown & Shopping in Crossville 


Kenny & Dana Koogler 

Monday June 24, 2019


Maple Hill RV Park & Campground




  Kenny had taken off on a Monday which is unusual.   We didn't have solid plans  since his building supplies were supposed to be delivered this day.   He got notice late Sunday evening that the supplies would not be delivered until Tuesday.    We woke Monday morning trying to figure what we wanted to do?  It is very unusual for me to not have lots of ideas to pick from.   Today I was low on inspiration.    We had breakfast and got out to take a look at Poplar Cove.  I thought we might find some interesting abandoned homes, a waterfall or something of historic interest.  I had learned that Tinker Dave Beatty was born and raised there.   We drove that way and it turned out to be a bust.

    I did stop and ask at this one house in town if the man minded for me to take photos of his daylily gardens?  His name is Mr. Frank Lacey.  He said that would be fine.   I took time to stroll round his gardens and get pictures of all his beautiful flowers. He grows mainly daylilies, but a few others as well.    I had considered going down to King Daylily Farm, but that was 10 miles out.  I really did not feel like driving that far out only  to find it was not a good place for photos.  The Rock Island daylily nursery was a total disappointment.   I was of the mind this would turn out similar.   I can find little information about King Daylilies.    


Frank Lacey's Daylily Gardens 

   Below are the highlights of the pictures.   I had driven past this man's home for several Summers. I was glad I finally got the nerve to ask him to do this.  I was extra glad he said yes!


 above: Kwanso double daylily.. an heirloom variety









  

    Once I got done strolling round these daylilies we headed to the Farmers Co-op which we like.
They have lots of pretty things in there, but the prices are astronomical. It is especially foolish when you consider this business is in one of Tennessee's poorest counties.  The items in there will sit and gather dust far as I am concerned.     We were disappointed.

     Finally we decided to go back to the campground, pack up and head toward home.  
We tried to get Tim to accept payment for the third and final night's stay, but he refused it.
This guy is all aces!  I highly recommend you try staying with them at their campground or in one of their rental cabins.  We have rented the cabin during the cold months when we have the camper Winterized. It doesn't make sense to take it out of that condition for two nights only to have to redo it.


         Historic Jamestown


  We neared town  and it occured to me to stop and get some photos of the old train depot.
I had long wanted to photograph the depot and its surrounding shanties.   My family comes from near the train tracks in Virginia.  I have lived within sight or earshot of a freight train most of my life.   We were great cross tie walkers as kids.  Several of my great grandparents lived in asphalt siding houses as did my great uncle James and my Aunt Virginia.   
I have a heart for these places since that is what my people come from.   I figured if I messed around too long the old buildings would be gone. 

    Above: Train Depot in Jamestown still stands. 
 Above and below: Five remaining shanties in various stages of decay.  This first one is about the best.  I loved that it still had lilies blooming by the porch. 
 To see these.. they are along main street in Jamestown.  The depot and two of the shanties are easily visible from the road.   The address is  100-110 Depot Ln, Jamestown, TN 38556
 Above: Back side of the depot building
 Furniture and weeds and who knows what else in these houses.
 Above: What is left of an outhouse



 I liked the window detail here with the Virginia creeper vine growing on the house walls.

 Above: The last house was the scariest and in the worst shape.  The road continued, but I did not see anymore houses.  Looking on google maps it appears "Depot Lane" went behind the old depot, curved up and onto the bank and went out the back to intersect Livingston Avenue in the past.    

      I got uneasy walking among those snakey weedy houses so I headed back to the truck.

Kenny was not really ready to go home yet.   I suggested we stop in Crossville to get some lunch and to shop at the Crossville Outlet Center. He liked that idea so away we went.

   

Crossville Outlet Center Shopping 

(Click the header above as a link to info on this place)


   My mom had been telling me for some time that she and I needed to visit the Crossville Outlet Center.  She delivers supplies to a business near there.  I had not even heard of it until she mentioned it.    She said I'd really like it.   We finally did visit there and spend a day together about a month ago.
She was right! I did like it a lot. We had a good time.    Today would be my second visit and Kenny's first.   We went in the Subway and had a quick bite for lunch. It is the cleanest, neatest Subway with the all around best service.   I liked their low calorie beverage selection.  If you get a chance try the Agua Fresca flavors.  Yum!   Once lunch was done we started making our rounds. 

    We visited the Tool store, kitchen store, Gift store, and Vanity Fair.    We loved Vanity Fair.
It sounds like it would be an all under garment or lingerie business.  It is not.   We came out of there with a couple outfits a piece.  Womens Lee jean shorts for $13. Tops for $11.   Men's Ralph Lauren Polo shirts for $9.   Men's Lee jeans for $17.   I got a designer pair of flipflops for $7.  They have a fantastic selection of quality, brand name garments for the whole family!  I want to remember to come here to do my shopping for clothing and gifts whenever possible.   We also purchased the Ice Genie (As Seen on TV) and a new set of pots and pans at the Kitchen store.  Loved the graniteware pots and pans.  Ice Genie was a disappointment.  It is not a good value.  The ice cubes it makes are tiny and it is more trouble than it is worth.  It does save space and we will use it in the camper, but it does not really perform as advertised.   I am a sucker for As Seen on TV stuff.  I want it all!

      Places we did not get to try, but want to return to visit in the mall.    
The Railroad and Train museum was not open. It is closed on Mondays.   We want to take the grandkids back to see this plus the adults want to see the trains. It is a huge room full of model railroads.   We want to take them back to the Fun Zone to play on the indoor bouncy castles and such.
We also want to try the rolled icecream place. We were too full from lunch to have room for it.

   It was a nice ending to our weekend.    Maple Hill is close to many activities we enjoy.
Glad we found it and can make it our home base. It is our little get away spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝