Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Lily Barn 2020 Daylily Trip

IMG_2100.JPG


The Lily Barn 2020 Daylily Trip 

Monday July 13, 2020

Dana Koogler 

(Click the arrow right to advance)






   I drove over to Townsend on a 90 degree day with sunny, beautiful weather to visit The Lily Barn.   I believe it is the latest I've ever gone to see the lilies in the season.   I found them blooming, but the place was not as pretty as before.  It looks like it is not being maintained to the same standards it was.  I saw less lilies and more weeds this year.  I don't know if the conditions I found are from the drought, the lateness in the season, the lack of maintenance or what is going on.
I just know while it is still pretty, the fields of lilies are unkempt by comparison to all other visits.   
IMG_2108.JPG
      Above: I am standing looking across the rows of lilies.  I always love this view of the deep, dark trees of Webb Holler with the blue skies and puffy clouds.  The lilies in the foreground along with the bright green grass is quite the contrast to the natural green of the trees. It is so dark green it almost looks black in places. 
IMG_2079.JPG
   I saw one vehicle leave with two people in it as I was arriving.   I never saw another soul.   I had the place to myself.   It was nice, but it was sweltering hot and still.  No breeze.    The stroll around the grounds is an easy one so I just took a quick break for a drink and to cool off in the shade of some trees by the creek before continuing.   

   
IMG_2090.JPG


IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG


IMG_2110.JPG


IMG_2115.JPG

below: a shady spot along Carrs Creek on the grounds.
IMG_2082.JPG
Below:  The purple pickerel weed blooms on the muddy pond. If you look closely around the middle of the photo there is a hummingbird hawkmoth nectaring.
IMG_2120.JPG
Dragonflies zipped around. Bullfrogs chugged and jumped.   I saw one tiny hummingbird hawkmoth feeding.     I stood for a time and just watched and listened.

IMG_2131.JPG
Above: I am looking back at the gazebo as I head across to the other part of the grounds.

Today was a good day for bridges.  There is one at The Lily Barn's entrance.

IMG_2133.JPG
Above: first covered bridge of the day
Below: Carr's Creek flows slowly past needing rain, but still pretty.
IMG_2135.JPG
Below: the view of the barn coming off the bridge
IMG_2136.JPG

Below: the cart with flowers is especially pretty this year. They have planted lots of white marigolds.
IMG_2140.JPG
Below: a better view of the entire barn
IMG_2139.JPG
This place looks like something out of a Smoky Mountain Fairy Tale.
Below: the prettiest star gazer lilies I've ever seen! I don't care for their strong smell, but they are very pretty.
IMG_2153.JPG
Below: Look how tall these lilies are!  They had to be staked up.
IMG_2155.JPG
Below: colorful flowers of some sort.  They remind me of blanket flowers, but I know that's not right.
IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG
I have had so many wonderful times here.  Solo walks in the quiet and tranquility.   Picnics here with my grandbabies.   Visits with the staff here.
Purchasing flowers for my yard.   It is a nice spot for a visit any time.
IMG_2170.JPG
Above: purple phlox and blackberry lilies in bloom
IMG_2175.JPG
Above: a very old sort of phlox. Pale pink with dark pink center. I had some that was a start from my grandma's plant, but it died.  I should try to find some to plant and try again.  This cultivar is phlox paniculata... and the name of it is Fairest One Tall Phlox.  
lily fields 2 lgr.jpg
One last look at the lilies for the day.

   I finally left and headed out toward Townsend to see what else I'd come for today.   I wanted to make today a bridgehunter day.   I had never taken time to check out the newly constructed covered bridge in Townsend.  I'd passed it many times, but today I was going to really see it for myself.  It used to be a one lane bridge for cars.   Very narrow.  Very old.    They replaced it with a wider, safer more modern bridge just down from it.    They left the old bridge and turned it into one for pedestrians.  Later plans took shape to turn it into something special.
It is dedicated to one of the men who envisioned it and helped bring it about.
James "Jim" Hind who passed away in 2017.    It is lovely!

IMG_2196.JPG
Above: the former one lane car bridge in Townsend is now a pedestrian covered bridge named for the former community of "Sunshine" an old resort town. It was later known as Kinzel Springs.   What a gift to the community this bridge is!

IMG_2199.JPG

  IMG_2200.JPG

 Above : view downstream of the bridge toward Kinzel Springs and Walland
Below:  view upstream toward Townsend. Beautiful mimosas framing the river. Their fragrance is intoxicating.

  I read somewhere that Townsend used to have seven suspension bridges.  I know where the ruins of three are.  I know where the two existing ones are. That leaves two sites unaccounted for.   I thought I knew of the site of another one near the Wye, but Gary Free told me that was a cable car type contraption used to cross the river.  Wouldn't that have been something to see or to use!??

     Next I went to Dark Island to photograph the suspension bridge there.

IMG_2204.JPG
Above: Looking across the Dark Island suspension bridge from the side near Miss Lily's. 

  Let's zoom in on that signage

IMG_2214.JPG

  I thought it was rather odd especially the bit about the padlocks.
I should have remembered the old adage that no rule will be made prohibiting something if it hasn't already been tried by someone.

     I was a third the way across the bridge when I did a double take.  I turned around and went back. Re-read the sign.  I started back across the bridge this time really watching closely.  I counted fifteen or sixteen padlocks attached to the bridge at various points.   Now I'm not sure what's up with this little fad.   I don't know if it was a joke. I don't know if it was to be defiant of the sign. It is a strange custom of possibly the area youth?  Who knows. **Edited to Add**
I now know the mystery of the padlocks. Thanks Alice!

I could ask Reid & Jackie


 or I could ask  C & S Miller

or I could ask Hannah and Naomi
If the dates on the locks are to be believed.. this has been going on at least since 2016. 



 Padlocks large and small. New and old.

 View of the river.. in a few minutes I saw 23 tubers.  That has been another hot button issue in Townsend.  
I didn't realize until recently how much of a problem the tubers have become to the environment.  I shouldn't be surprised.  I know two men .. family .. who snorkel or dive the river near the G swing.  They come up with buckets of sunglasses, phones, phone cases, jewelry, etc.  It helped that they put a stop to people going on the river with their coolers in a tube.   The amount and type of litter is far less, but the impact of tubers is hurting the hellbender population.

     Next I went round to the Kinzel Springs suspension bridge.  It is being rehabbed.  I read that the county actually owns it, but I'm not sure that is correct. I think one end may be in the Townsend City limits.  I'm just glad it isn't being destroyed.  I love these old bridges. Soon as this one is fixed I'm going to see it and walk across it.  I noticed it has a few padlocks on it as well.

 above and below.. newly poured steps and decking on the bridge at Kinzel Springs.


  I then concluded my day and headed back home.   It is wonderful to live within easy reach of these interesting and beautiful places.  I feel blessed. I don't deserve it, but yes.. I am blessed. 

    I have lived near a river or creek all my life.  Little River is the prettiest of them all thus far.    I think it is a good thing to 'consider the lilies' from time to time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝