Monday, January 22, 2024

DG Market + Popshelf First Visit


White unicorn emoji with horn and purple nose



DG Market + Popshelf First Visit 


 Thursday Jan. 18, 2024


Kenny, Dana, Gabe & Mia Koogler 


Little Green Frog with huge green glasses and wide mouth

  Thursday Kenny and I had the kids while their parents worked.  Jared and Lydia actually had their work open and running though temperatures were bitter and roads still slippery.  I have been babying my left knee so we had to think of some fun stuff to fight cabin fever. 
Kenny took the kids over to the mall to go sledding. He took them out for lunch.  They called me when they were on their way back.  The plan was to pick me up so we could ride over to Seymour. We wanted to check out a new store we heard about.  My daughter Crystal along with her two children had found it and liked it.  I figured we'd give it a whirl to see how it was. 

      

Below is a short video of the kids sledding.  Gabe loved it. Mia did not care for it as much.






     Dollar General stores are pretty much everywhere, but I'm not complaining.  I love it! 
When we go to Virginia to the farm the nearest Dollar General is eight miles from the house. 
It is the ONLY place to buy any sort of essentials: 

  • Food & Grocery items
  • Over the Counter Medicines
  • Household cleaning products   
Try that out a time or two or three and you will be tickled to have a DG around. We have one at Rocky Branch, Blount Beach, and Hickory Corner.  Those are the three closest. 


      They have now opened DG Markets which are even nicer.   I heard about this pOpshelf thing.  Well, I'm old and I have to work hard to keep up with current trends.  Sometimes I understand the trends, but I just don't care about them.  Unfortunately I often just don't keep up. 
I've been trying a little harder to stay caught up.   I figured today we'd find out for ourselves about this pOpshelf thing.   I had been in one DG Market in Lenoir City near where I got my nails done.     It was nice, but it did not have the additional stuff.

   What Is pOpshelf Exactly? 


     Dollar General is focused on selling essentials like groceries, health items, basic clothing, basic household needs with a little bit of convenience store and seasonal items thrown in.  
DG Markets are bigger, a little less cramped, and  have more of everything. They carry fresh produce, bakery items, a larger refrigerator and freezer section of groceries.  They have more seasonal items like for Christmas, Valentines, Easter, and so on.    

   pOpshelf focuses on the fun stuff that are not necessities, but are wants. Fun little splurges.
Trendy and POPULAR Toys, party ware,  greeting cards,  household decoration, art supplies, electronics, candies, expanded seasonal items.  Health and beauty supplies like lotions, vitamin serums, collagen, facial masks, and spa type beauty notions.  

      
    I took photos and a few videos and put together a short movie of our highlights at the new store. It is located along Chapman Highway in Seymour, TN right here.  (Click the link for a google map)


     The first thing we saw was an icy parking lot.  The second thing was a snowman in a shopping cart. I did not get photos of him, but he is on the video near the start.  The store was bright, colorful, and roomy.  Not cramped up with baskets of stock blocking the aisles. They had more staff even for a snow day.  They were all friendly and ready to help.  They do clerk check out or self checkout.    It was all in all a good day.  I'm not going to write a lot about it, but let the video tell the story.  It was a fun visit and good way to get out of the house on a bitterly cold day.



  Granted this is not my usual blog post, but I've only had one real serious illness that affected my mobility before and that was 2013.   


        Today I call an orthopedist. I'm over this knee problem AND this snow. 







  Things We Bought at Popshelf and What They Are













Above: Mini Brands-- tiny replicas of actual products. This is a grape drink and a flea sized bag of Hersheys miniatures candy. 

Below: my hand and the tv remote for scale .. mini brands are a hugely popular toy now. Tiny miniature versions of actual products. Both my granddaughters love them.  




my hand and remote and mini brands for scale




Below is a little container of Collagen Cream I bought for $5. I love how it helps my hands at the nail salon so thought I'd try it at home. 

Small white tub of collagen cream




Pink Candle in a jar says Bae Mine

Above: This is part of learning to be relevant and current, but then not really trying that hard because it is so DUMB!  I did not learn until today that the term" bae"  means "Before All Else".    I knew it was a really stupid term of endearment.  Sorry Gen Z or Gen X or whoever uses this. 

I just can't help thinking it is silly. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝