Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Virginia Visit New Years 2023-24

Above: Snowman decoration I made for my mom several years ago. I sewed him from a thrift store sweater and used stuff I had at home for the rest. 




Virginia Visit New Years 2023-24


Kenny & Dana Koogler
Adam, Crystal, Michael and Tessa Lindsey 

Thursday Dec. 28 through Sunday Dec. 31, 2023


Visited Dana's Parents--Both Sets of them along with sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews.




   We  have a sort of tradition of heading to Virginia to visit immediately after Christmas.  
This year we planned to ALL go, but a few kinks arose in the plan.  Jared, Lydia and their kids ended up staying home because of some important adulting chores that needed doing.  A hard, but necessary decision.   Had they not tended to it the reschedule of the appointment would have taken months and cost them hundreds of dollars.     The rest of us went on. Lydia helped us get hotel rooms at a bargain basement cost.  We stayed at a Comfort Inn & Suites in Staunton.   We had adjoining rooms.    This put us between both sets of my parents.   

    The family situation with the farm sale has created some tensions. Kenny did not need to go out there this visit.    Just let things calm down.   I notice as time passes the idea of going back there becomes more painful for him instead of less.    Without the parents who made it home it just is not the same.   

    We had an easy trip up.  If it is only me and Kenny in the truck I kick the seat back and nap on the way up the road.  It makes a five and a half hour drive seem far shorter.    We left very early and stopped on the road to get breakfast when everyone was ready.    Tummies full and bathroom break over I got back in the truck and into my cocoon and before we knew it we were there!  We stopped off first at my Daddy and stepmom's house in Fairfield.   

  
      I admit that as my parents have grown older I have my moments when I get upset and worry about them.    Visiting and spending quality time really helped allay my fears.   I could see that they are doing very well.   Dad's still going to the gym several times per week to work out. Mom is still sewing in her shop and cooking and doing all sorts of things. They just went on a trip to Nashville right after Thanksgiving. We got to hear all about that. I'm proud of them for getting out and going.   It was one of those group tours.  

      
     
Above: my Daddy sits beside my new niece Lauren. 
Above: Nephew Joshua checks his cell phone and  by him on the floor is his wife Lauren.. .my new niece.  Niece Lily.. Joshua and Cody's younger sister sits on the couch. 
Below: Son in law Adam and brother in law Brian who is Josh, Cody and Lily's dad. Married to my baby sister Erica. 
Below: Another view of Adam and Brian.... that's the look Brian gets when he's up to something. 

Above: Lauren and Lily talking. Michael  my grandson slumped on the sofa. 


Above:  Mom's & Daddy's Christmas tree and the area of the house that used to be the back porch.  
Above: My nephew Cody and his sweet girlfriend Katherine Lotts. We hope we get to keep her in the family forever. She's a lot of fun.  Cody is a cadet at VMI and majoring in psychology. He says he's going into the Marines after he graduates.  

Above: Mom's corner china press.


Above: scenes from the next morning when we had brunch



Above:  the bar area and poinsettias
Mom's Christmas village in her pie safe.  The cat used to go get the little ice skater girl off the "pond" which was a mirror.  We'd find the skater just any place in the house where the cat stashed her. I have the skater now in a "junk lamp" I made for granddaughter Tessa.  
Above: Adam, Brian, granddaughter Tessa, daughter Crystal , Cody and Katherine. 
Above: right to left Cody, Katherine, Tessa, Adam and Lily




Below: I sneaked and took this photo with my cell phone.  My niece Lily being completely spoiled rotten by new sister in law Lauren.  I joked that she had Lauren well trained.  We are a loving family and don't believe in personal space.  Joshua is grinning like the cat who ate the canary.  


Above: Bar area with juice and punch and coffee.  









Above: Mom in the kitchen 

Below: Crystal standing talking to someone



Below: Sister Erica with mask on in the kitchen. She is getting over the covid and being extra careful and considerate.   I did not care. I hugged her anyway.   Just happy to see her and know she was well.   Lily, my niece, joked that Erica had been bleaching the house like mad and wanted to burn the bed, but Brian wouldn't let her. lol.... The family joke is that Erica is "Aunt Etter" called after an Auntie who was cleaning crazy.    She was so sick that the Christmas tree was still up!  That is unheard of at their house.    The year she had a hysterectomy she had Lily in charge of taking down Christmas decorations at home while she was hospitalized.  




  We had a great visit and some wonderful food. My sister Erica made her tasty breakfast casserole which I must learn to make.       We joked and teased each other. My beautiful niece Lily is a high schooler at age 15. She has her learners permit and is learning to drive. Doing a great job.   She is smart and doing well in school. She said she hates school and school largely hates her.  I asked her why?  She said that Josh and Cody were so wild in school her teachers who had them attached the trouble maker label to her as well. It is undeserved in her case.   It was mostly undeserved in their case, but they could be pretty wild.    Uncle Brian says yes, Lily inherited a lot of messes to clean up.    

                        Next day we went on down to my mother and step daddy's house to visit.  We were at either house all day long.  They live in my great granny's old house.  It has three bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bathroom.   They have had all kinds of improvements to the house.  New heat system.  New plumbing, tankless water heater, windows, outdoor trim. Kitchen with new counters and table.  Very nice.    Patches the dog has passed away.  They still have four cats, but they are wary of visitors so they stay clear.   

    Below: Michael and Adam in the living room. The tree is so pretty! 
Below: Kenny plays games on his phone

Above: Mom and Michael in the kitchen.  She cooked us a fantastic meal!  We had crab legs and low country boil.   
Above: I've backed up to show the living room better.  


  I got to see my sister Valerie and niece Emily.   I got to visit a lot with my folks and chat with them.   Catch up in their doings. Mom is a truck driver and has gone back to work one day a week to help out co-workers who need a day off.   It pays great and she enjoys it still.  
 They appreciate her willingness to help out.    

       We got home and brought Christmas gifts too large to ship to my folks.  
It was a fun visit all the way round.    We went bargain shopping one afternoon. I did not find much. The stuff was so picked over, but I did find a table cloth I needed and a set of nice rugs for my bathroom.    We headed home Sunday morning early.  Got up and were on the road by seven a.m.   We stopped on the way home for breakfast and got rolling again.    We were home without incident by about 1:30 p.m.   I am always glad to get home to my own bed!  

            Lastly I am posting a couple photos taken at our home during Christmas. I was the worst this year for not taking pictures.  Just would rather be in the moment and not on my phone or holding a camera all the time.  

Above: First Christmas making authentic lebkuchen .. German ginger bread cookies. 
They were a huge hit and now I must make them year round!

Below: my granddog Tippy... Gabe is her "Dad"  and she is precious

Above: my kitchen mantle on the pass through fire place.   This is Christmas morning.

Below: I fixed a roast turkey for Christmas since the one at Thanksgiving got gone so fast!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝