Thursday, July 30, 2026

Around Home --Summer 2026

  

Around Home-Summer 2026



    Each year I try to do a blog piece about what else I've been doing besides outdoor stuff.  
I had surgery June eighth.  It was a big surgery. It has taken a fair amount out of me. More than I thought it would.  I was not supposed to at all for four weeks.  After that I was able to get in the pool.  I had to wait another two weeks to get in the lake. I have yet to get in the river.  I'm being cautious.   I've been having fun with my grandkids.  Working on art projects. Gardening. Some easy home improvement stuff.  Nothing major.  My flowers have brought me a great deal of happiness this season.   


Grandkids & Granddogs

     


Above: is my 17 year old grandson Michael and his girlfriend Olivia Myers.  We were taking a boat ride on Lake Tellico. 



Above:  Gabriel and Mia at The Lily Barn taking a walk with me.
Below: Mia running toward me. 




above: Chihuahua Granddog Tippy


above: Granddog Bones and granddaughter Tessa age 12.

Below: Tessa 

Below: Gabe and Mia in my back yard with giant bubbles. 

Below: Granddog Rip and grandson Gabe age 10 

Below: Gabe and Mia photo taken by their other grandma Debbie

Below: Gabriel and Happy his kitten. That is the buckin' bronco headband he's holding. 


Art


Above is a painting I did for my grandson Gabriel.  A sunset on the Plott Balsams.  He hung it in his bedroom.  



Below: I made myself a trinket box for the camper to match a set of decorations I already bought at Cumberland Mountain General Store. I'm happy with how it turned out.  It is acrylic paint sealed with clear polyurethane.  I decoupaged the vintage post card on there and the extra touches on it. 



Sewing



  I try to refurbish my outdoor stuff instead of buying new. This year  I had to break down and spring for new fabric to recover all of it.  

For the back porch I went with dandelions for something very different. Below is a wall hanging I bought that matched perfectly! 
  



Above and below: recovered screen porch furniture. I like how it turned out. 
above: the pendant light above the table came from Rocking Horse Antiques in Crossville.  




Below: For the front porch I went with pastel colors as the bright sun bleaches out whatever is here.  I figured a natural linen color wouldn't bleach out. 

Below is our porch swing which came from Dickson TN.   I was able to purchase a suitable slip cover for it.  


Below: the settee I recovered by sewing and made accent pillows for it. 



Above: view across the porch toward the mountains.

Below: The chair didn't need anything as it was ok. I just made the rest match it. 





Gardening

Shown above is a view of my back deck which is just outside my bedroom.   It is full of colors and textures.  I've never had my flowers look so pretty and so many of them.  Stuff I had given up on ever trying to grow again is doing great somehow!   Superbells, petunias, and verbena.  I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm happy with the results.  

Below is the solar fountain in one of my birdbaths.  I built a "beach" for butterflies and bees to drink safely.  The crazy plant in there is corkscrew rush which can grow in water. 
Below: coleus and caladiums
Below:  Red whopper begonia, creeping jenny, and petunia.
Below is the herb garden.  basil, lemon grass, chives, dill, sage, and thyme.  
Below: the first of my zinnias is blooming
Below:  I got this crazy looking thing at Stanley's Greenhouse in Knoxville.  It is an air plant. 
Below: Byzantine Gladiolus 

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝