Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Boondocking in the Cherokee National Forest-- Fall Branch Falls & Dockery Creek





 Boondocking in the Cherokee National Forest-- Fall Branch Falls & Dockery Creek 


Friday Aug. 7 through Sunday August 9 2026

Kenny & Dana Koogler






      Kenny and I wanted to get out and go camping, but not have to drive so far or get into a big elaborate plan.  We decided to go to State Line and camp for the weekend.  It is quiet. No phone signal. No internet access.   No TV.  No screens period!  

         We left on Friday afternoon as Kenny worked half a day.    We got down there and set up.
We realized once we got there I did not bring a single map and only one guide book.  It really wasn't a huge deal since we are very familiar with that area.   Friday evening was just relaxing and being together.  Cooking together.  I painted some.   No TV is good sometimes!  

   We rode over to Murphy NC via Davis Creek Road and Joe Brown Highway. We stopped on the way there to visit Dockery Creek Falls.  It was flowing extremely well.  Lots of downed trees here today.    
Below: First glimpse of Dockery Creek Falls 







Below: Upper Dockery Creek Falls 









Below: Dockery Creek Falls Lower level






Below is a video of the falls in their entirety.  




  While in Murphy we got stopped by a Dollar General and I purchased some canvas to paint on. 
We purchased a Harrison Ford movie to watch that evening.  It was a boxed set so we watched one on Friday and one on Saturday evening.   I had never watched these all the way through. One was "Patriot Games "and the other "Clear and Present Danger". Both were good.  Yes. I know they are old as dirt.  I am always late to the party.  



   We drove the Cherohala Skyway and hiked to Falls Branch Falls.  It is was a redemption and healing trip for me.   Last time there I had a scary encounter. Kenny was trying to help me work through that to some healing.   It was a good plan. Today we only encountered one other set of hikers. A group of two young couples.   They were pleasant, normal and from the area. Friendly and talkative.   The waterfall was amazing today! I don't think I've ever seen it with that much water volume before!   It was hard to get photos or video and stay clear of the spray. 

            The trail was lush and green.  It was running with water.  Bright yellow sunflowers dotted the trailhead for us.  We took the "short cut" trail and had to bushwhack through some vegetation, but it was not too bad.   The trees are big down here and old.  It is a lovely spot any time of year.   












     Saturday we got up and headed down the road to go hiking. We stopped at Green Cove Store. 
They always have essentials and we had forgotten cooking oil or some minor item.  We purchased it there.  I saw that Mark Morrison's new book was for sale there so I thumbed through it.  It only took me a moment to decided we needed that book!  We purchased a copy and bought a Cherokee National Forest map to leave in the camper. As such I wrote CAMPER on it in ink pen.  

        I hadn't looked through the guidebook long until I could tell I was onto some wonderful fodder for future trips! Mark has mentioned a waterfall in there that was probably known to many locals, but not documented on any database.  I know because when we happened across it I reached out to Kevin Adams. The Waterfall Guru himself didn't know of it!   Mark gives some info on how to visit it.   I think waiting until cooler weather is in order.  We've seen snakes this year and we are currently in the Dog Days. 


      The weather was about twenty degrees cooler here than it was back home.  We enjoyed a slight overcast and seventy five degrees.  We slept at night with the windows open, crickets chirping, night birds singing and a nice breeze.   It got cool enough we had to cover up!  No air conditioner needed. 













  We had a good day in the woods. We got some exercise and saw some beautiful sights.  It wasn't our most exciting trip, but it was what we needed.  Rest.  We headed home mid morning on Sunday and all in all it was a successful trip. 

Below is a video of Falls Branch Falls



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝