Wednesday, March 27, 2019

New Section of Foothills Parkway & Butler's Wrecker Service to the Rescue

Image result for road cone gif

New Section of Foothills Parkway and Butler's Wrecker Service Rides to the Rescue! 

Dana & Kenny Koogler

Saturday February 23, 2019






   We had all that flooding and then afterwards landslides, rock slides, downed trees. 
Everyone has been very weary of the rain, flooding, cold and dreary gray weather.   The first sunny day we had to go for a drive on Foothills Parkway's new section we took it.   It has been open since back in Autumn, but we still had not visited.  We have visited it a couple times prior when they would open it up for Fall color weekends and such.   Today we'd drive it all the way from Walland to Wears Valley.   Highway 321 was closed through the gorge because of rock slides at Hatcher's Cut.
I figured we'd have to take the parkway and then just reverse course for the simplest way home.
Below are a couple shots from one of the overlooks. I think it is the second or third one along the way.  Ah What a bluebird day it was! 
        
 Views looking out off Foothills Parkway's new section toward Townsend below.


   We approached an overlook pull off and my head snapped round like it was on a rubber band.
I spotted something going on besides a pretty view.  We were pulling over anyway, but I was getting my camera out as hard and fast as I could getting ready.    I saw a park ranger vehicle and a Butler's Wrecker.  I knew this was gonna be good.  As we got closer I could see a bright orange camaro down over the embankment.  Photos do not demonstrate how scary that had to have been.  He'd jumped the curb at the overlooking parking area and down over the mountain he went.  Brand new car!  
Don't get me wrong. I don't like to see people get hurt, and I do not like to see people's property torn up either, but I had skin in the game here.  I had to do my part and take pictures and video of this momentous occasion.   I am an opportunist. There were other looky-loos around doing the same, so I felt a little better about myself.

      
 Somethin' goin' on hyere.
 oh the drama
 Pulling the camaro back up over the mountain

The guy got stopped at the bottom of that brushy spot just in front of the tree line nearer the bottom, but beyond that were hundreds of feet to continue the drop to the base of the mountain.

Glad he was safe. The car ended up with surprisingly little damage!  All's well that ends well.

    What was my reason for the photos and video?   Our grandson Gabriel age 2 loves trucks, vehicles of all kinds and most especially wreckers and working on vehicles.   He is Papaw's little man.
He and I play "Call Jerry" all the time referring to calling Jerry Hall of Butler's wrecker service. It is not far from my house. They are great people.   Salt of the earth.  Anyhow we have to pretend we are stuck and calling Jerry.   Sometimes I change things up and pretend Gabe has called Jerry so many times he can't come anymore.  We then have to call Tipton's Garage in Eagleton to come tow us.
Gabe likes me to make up some long winded story on the phone about what was going on when we got stuck or broke down.   He is country as cornbread.

            Gabe in a little wrecker at the State Farm office in Eagleton

 We've been washing and detailing our trucks today.
 Little man has his camo on and his boots... he's a fireman/wrecker driver.
Busy boy. He calls his fire truck his Brrrm Brrmmm!

    Below is a video of them towing out the car. Gabe loved this video like a blockbuster movie.



   
For Gabriel Logan Koogler--- courtesy of Mama Nana




     Once this action scene was resolved we continued out the parkway enjoying the views and scenery.   It was beautiful. Mike Gourley and buddies had seen a pretty waterfall along the road. I wanted to see it.  I had visited it once before long ago, but really had forgotten about its existence.
It was very pretty today with lots of water flow.   We made it all the way through to Wears Valley.
Kenny decided he did not want to double back, but would instead gamble on trying to go through Townsend.  We know a couple back roads as alternatives to Hwy 321 had it been still blocked.
Turned out the road was open by the time we got round there so we were able to make a big loop on our trip home. It was a short little adventure, but a good one with some unexpected events!

 Above and below: two views of the waterfall. It is very tall.


   Below is a video of the falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝