Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Hunting for Three Birds Orchids



 Some type of Saint Johnswort flower at Elkmont 



Hunting for Three Birds Orchids

Dana Koogler 

Saturday July 27, 2019




**While I do not reveal the locations of native orchids I can tell you these were 
in the area of Elkmont.  They are very tiny and you have to be deliberately looking for them  in order to see them.   I can also tell you that in the end of July or first half of August the first cool down spell we have where you wake up and the mornings feel good again.  60-70 degrees... that is what brings their bloom.  They bloom nearly all at once and in great quantities.  They would be considered "locally abundant".  They like moist, sandy soil like the kind along rivers and streams.  **

      I had been very lax about my church attendance and felt I needed to remedy that.
I need to make sure I support my church which I love and get fed spiritually as well.    We have a new pastor who I really enjoy.  He has a sweet young family that I can really relate to. 
I decided since it was Three Birds season I would stick around closer to home and hike. I wanted to get out and exercise and get some fresh air and sunshine, but not wear myself out to the point I'd be whipped on Sunday.     I opted to hunt orchids and that was a good thing. I didn't get out to look for these little beauties at all last season.    

        I know of several locations where these little fellows bloom, but I had not hiked in the Elkmont area for a good while.   I figured I'd try that spot first and had me a couple fall back plans in case I was unsuccessful or felt froggy and wanted to tack more onto my days adventures.      I got out early because the parking situation on a Saturday morning at Elkmont can be horrendous.   It is a popular area all year long, but especially on Summer weekends. 
I enjoyed the drive over on this cool, sunny morning.   I saw a large group of hikers all from the same outfit getting ready to set out on their hike.   I was stunned to find a parking spot still readily available.  I parked in a great spot and got out to start my hike.    I didn't bother taking hiking poles or lots of the usual nonsense.   I figured the trails are fairly level and easy.  

      I was pleased to find that they have demolished several of the old cabins in this section of Elkmont also.   They have left the chimneys and fire places with the neat looking rock work.  I took time to turn aside and photograph some of these interesting structures.  


 Troll bridge in the morning light.
 Chimney and steps
 Front on view of the steps
 Above: directly in front of the first chimney
 Above: Chimney #2. I like this one even more. It has some sort of flashing around the top and I've never seen anything like it before.  Wonder what the purpose of that was?  Diverting water drips like a  gutter?!  I need to ask Curtis. He may know.
 closer look at the rock fire place. Love the vents in the front and the built in shelves instead of a mantle piece.

Below: a nice view of the river today.  Lots of rain have it really roaring. 
     


    I  was surprised that while the trail was peppered with that first group of hikers they motored on and I soon did not see anymore of them.  I did not encounter them again until I was leaving.  I passed them in Daisytown taking a tour of the old cabins.  

     The river flowed past with frilly white cascades and framed by the green leaves of Summer.
It was a nice morning for a hike.   It never got real hot today.    I was glad of that.   I stopped in several places to just enjoy the views of the stream to my left.  On my right the woods had several spots where springs of water flowed out on the right of the stream.   
Above: an un-named cascade flows down out of the hills by the trail




 Above and below.  views of Little River



 Above: a very mossy log I liked 
 Above: I saw a lot of rattlesnake orchids
 Above: Rattlesnake orchid close up.  It is past its peak bloom. 
Butterfly along the trail

Dolls eyes were in bloom today.  Here is a good example of them.

   

Above:  I noticed this spot today above the trail to the right.  It reminds me of a place in Snowbird on the way to Sassafras Falls and a spot on Bent Arm Manway in the Smokies.  Both those spots were where rail lines cut through the woods.   The banks of this were fairly high.  
Can't be 100% sure, but an old map might reveal if this was a road or railroad 



    I hiked along beside a fellow who was hiking up to Mt Collins to spend the night. He is working on completing all the trails in the park.    He was very nice.  We both had a good laugh together.   He was approaching me when we both stopped and stood gaping at a horrible sound down near the river.  It was a loud howling or baying sound.  It sounded maybe like a dog, but I had not seen any dogs thus far.    I turned on my camera to record the audio of it just in case.
We stood there both of us wondering what in the world that was?  I heard a metallic clink and looked down through the rhodo at the stream.  I saw a black lab down there with his people.  
They were avoiding the whole no dogs on the trails rule by having him in the creek I guess.
After hiking along with this man for a little I said my good byes and parted company with him.

      I was beginning to wonder if I'd have any luck finding Three Birds orchids today when at last I spied one!   Once I began seeing them I saw them by the hundreds.   I left the trail and went into the woods and just wandered around very carefully so as not to get snake bit or step on any of them.    The forest floor was pretty open so I had no trouble or worries.    

    I enjoyed seeing these delicate, tiny beauties.   I took lots of photos of them but finally stopped.  Once you see so many you may continue to look at each one, but you get weary of snapping photos.  I just wanted to be in the moment and marvel at them.   
I was very pleased to get to see them and enjoy their loveliness.  

Below are several images of the best of them.  
   




Below is a shot of a grouping of them.  

 Below: a ground pine 


Below is a video of the un-named cascade I saw and a quick clip of the river

   I hiked all I wanted to and headed home after a very satisfying day out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝