Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Greenback Castle Re-Visit With the Grandkids 2019



Action figure embedded in the walls of Greenback Castle 

Greenback Castle Re-Visit With the Grandkids 

Dana Koogler, Lydia Koogler, and Gabriel Koogler
Michael and Tessa Lindsey

Friday July 26, 2019






( Photos in this album are combined from two visits)











Directions to Greenback Castle: 

Hwy 411 South-- a little over a mile past the intersection of Hwy 411 South with SR 95
turn LEFT onto N Trigonia Road and go 3/4 mile to a LEFT turn onto Lee Shirley Road
Go 0.10 mile on Lee Shirley Road to a RIGHT turn into a gravel driveway.  It is a residential area so go slow.   There are signs for the castle at the turn.  It is straight back the road and there are signs indicating where to park.  It is free, but take some cash for the donation box out front.
Coming north on Hwy 411 it is about 3.50 miles from the bridge across Tellico Lake to a right turn onto N. Trigonia Road 



       I had my grandchildren Friday to watch while my daughter started back to teaching.
Michael age 10 and Tessa age 5.  I talked to daughter in law Lydia and it was decided we'd all to visit Mr. Junior Banks' Fortress of Faith.. the Greenback Castle.  She said she'd never been and neither had the other two grandkids.   Gabe, Kenny, Jared and myself went a little over a year ago.   Gabe liked it, but I wasn't sure he'd remember it.   We figured on a visit to the castle.  Lunch at Greenback Diner, and if all went well a stop by the Home Decor Resale Store across the road from the diner.   

     We gathered everyone up and got on the road at a decent time.   Lydia was considering staying home to do some chores and letting me take the kids by myself.  I plainly told her if I had to take all three kids by myself I wasn't going.  The castle is not safe for one adult to handle three kids ages three to ten.  The space is chopped up and while it is fun, it is not safe for a kid to play alone especially little ones.  Junior cannot be expected to babysit and play tour guide.
She agreed to go and we set out.  It is not a long drive and we were there by about 9:45.  
We'd have arrived a little sooner, but I probably wasted fifteen minutes in the making of a wrong turn.  Somehow I missed the turn onto Lee Shirley Road and went two miles out of my way.  I recognized it much sooner, but had to drive further to find a safe place along the road to turn around.   It is a winding, narrow road in a residential area.

           Once we arrived at the Castle and parked the kids were immediately excited and so was Lydia.   It is quite something to see. Junior was up and about so we greeted him at once. I put our money in the donation box and we started our tour in a counter clockwise fashion.  We visited once before and went clockwise.  Counter clockwise is better!   It is far more dramatic.
The best parts are on this leg of the journey.   It also helped me to pick up parts of this property I had somehow missed the previous time!  It was one of the neatest things we've done. The place is mysterious, exciting, quirky, and beautiful in a grungey way.    It is a visual feast for the eyes and senses.   We spent 2 1/2 hours there and had to drag Michael and Tessa away!  They were not ready to leave even then.  They loved it and loved Junior.   They were talking about when could they go back again as we were leaving.  That speaks volumes.  They told me it was without doubt the neatest thing I'd ever done with them.    A big win for Nanny.  
 Above: Gabe heading in the entry door at the front

 Above: Front facade of the Castle
 Above: Granddaughter Tessa age 5
 Grandson Michael age 10
Above: All three kiddles on the thrones.  Junior was quick to remind me to get their photos taken on the thrones!             Gabriel had been before and was smaller and growing tired and hungry.  
He was ready to leave.   We took him back to the car and got him a dry butt and a drink and a small snack to hold him til we got to the diner.    It was only a couple miles to the diner .  Though it was busy we found a parking spot easily.   We also found a table immediately and were waited on promptly.  Our food arrived hot, fresh and delicious.  Everyone got their tummy full and felt better.  Lydia took the boys outside and I stuck around to let Tessa eat ice cream for dessert.   It was a fun day thus far.  Lydia and I realized the home decor store was not a good idea today. The kids were tired and restless.   We'd come back for that another day with just us women.   No kids.    Greenback is a charming little town.  It has a post office, a school that is K thru 12, a Farmers Co-op,  a diner, a couple churches, the home decor store, a historic museum, a grocery store, a library, hair salon, and veterinarian.  Greenback is a place full of history.  I envision several more trips to the area to visit, to learn and enjoy the area.   
 Above: Detail in one part of the courtyard.   Skull and all sorts of neat shells.  It is a feast for the senses!
 Above: Michael, Lydia, Gabe and Tessa in the chess game room
 Lots of neat alcoves and arches here
 Colorful corner
 Above: Tessa and Gabe going up the spiral staircase in the rotunda.  It was very exciting!
 Above: Michael stands by the White Horseman of the Apocalypse who Junior says has begun his ride.  The White Horseman is the first of the four... and he is Conquest.
 Beautiful woodwork and detail in the rotunda.
 Above: Daughter in law Lydia, grandson Gabe and Tessa in the courtyard
 Above: Two spooky looking prisoners peeping out of the "jail cell"
 Above:  Loved how this archway leads to another archway!
 Above: Gabe and Tessa come down the steps from one of the upstairs rooms.
 Above: Junior and Tessa. The kids really enjoyed this sweet gentleman.  He is a fine Christian brother and elder.
Above Grandson Michael and Junior with his cool shades on.        I took Lydia home. I took the kids home with me to play at my house for a few hours.  Once Crystal came to pick up Tessa and Michael I took Gabe home.   He was worn out and cried.  I sat down on the couch with him and visited. He put his little feet in my lap kicked back on the couch.  It wasn't long until he calmed down with Nanny rubbing his feet and toes.   He was snoring when I left.   Tired boy.   That is another win for Nanny when I can wear the kids out but still have energy left myself!  


 Michael amidst the crosses
 Above:  A beautiful wild area out back where Junior is working on a maze that is not yet finished. It will be made up of native cane! Sunflowers and sumac give the place some color.
 Archway of glass bottles!
Junior feeds the birds and provides watering spots for them.   A bird bath.   

All in all a fascinating and beautiful place. Not another one like it on the planet!         

        


          
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝