Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Cumberland Homesteads Apple Festival 2019



Cumberland Homesteads Apple Festival  2019


Dana & Kenny Koogler 

Saturday Sept. 21, 2019







Pictures are Here starting with frame #177


  I posted the link to the information web page here with this blog entry.I realized in a year or less it will be irrelevant.   The flyer pictured below gives a good idea what it was all about.    It will give those interested a chance to decide for themselves if they want to attend.  I love lots of information and photos myself.   One photo.. one little photo on the interwebz resulted in a trip to go visit the Old Mail Road bridge and photograph it myself!   You never know what will inspire someone.  

  Below is their neatly done poster from this past year's event. 




    I visited the Cumberland Homesteads for the first time in 2004. My recent visits of July 2019 
were a lot more fun and informative.    I was hooked. The history is interesting and relatable. The staff and docents are friendly.  I have since met Charles Tyler of the historic society and he is a delight.    He really knows a bunch and has some colorful stories.  They all do. 
I found out during that visit about the Apple Festival coming up in September.  I made up my mind I was going.    It coincided perfectly with the trip we already had to make over to the plateau for the weekend.     Kenny and I both had a good time, and will come back again.

  It was fun and very easy going.  Lots of people, but the traffic wasn't bad. Finding parking was no problem.  They had officers directing traffic and assisting folks to make it safely across Hwy 70 to the grounds.    It was very well organized.   I found it shadier and more comfortable than other events I have attended.   Finding a seat to get some lunch was not difficult either.
The folks all around us were talkative and friendly.     

  I was able to purchase some goodies that I both needed and wanted.  It was surprising how many different vendors there were. Lots of options for eats.  We had barbecue and it was delicious.    Nothing was too pricey either.  These vendors are real people and they are fair.
I met a fellow who I hope to purchase elderberry shrub stock from next Spring.   I can grow native shrubs in my yard and harvest berries that will help keep me healthy!    
I also found a lady who made purses that I adored.  I ended up getting one.   I wish I'd gotten two!  She is a very talented seamstress.   

      They had good music playing up on the band stand.   I saw Kelly Cox pull up on a utility vehicle, but I didn't get to speak to her on Saturday.  It is worth mentioning that while admission was only $5 per person.. the ladies selling tickets made sure to tell you if you kept your ticket stub you could come back on Sunday for free! That is a lot of fun for $5.  

      I hope to get back over there for the Christmas celebration this year.   Its good for me.
I was so jealous of the kitchen in the Homestead's House museum I had to go out and do this.


Above:  Antique hoosier cupboard freshly repainted by my sweet hubby.
I helped with the clean up and the greasing the works to make sure it is functional.
I also helped a tiny bit to take off and put back on handles.  


Below is the one similar to mine that was in the house kitchen.  


IMG_3512


 Above and below:  I made myself some tea towels using vintage fabric for the top one, and a print that looks old fashioned from Wal-Mart for the other.  In keeping with the vintage theme. 




   

      Big thanks to Kelly Cox and all the Homesteads personnel and volunteers who made the festival possible.  It had to be a monumental task in my mind, but I appreciate being able to enjoy such things.    Below I am going to post a few photos of the various vendors and such. 
If you get the chance you should check out some of their events.  It is really worthwhile, wholesome activities in a world that has gone mad.  Crossville and the Homesteads and the plateau is a little island of sanity.  A tiny taste of by gone days and a slower pace. 
One for which I am very grateful. 

 Above : A vendor with lots of natural skin care products and goodies
 Above: Compass Rose Creations is out of Johnson City area TN.  They were my favorites.
I bought a large jar of elderberry syrup for $20.  I also got some good information from this fellow and his missus.  Honey. Natural goodies.  A growing number of folks are coming over to the food as medicine camp!  Natural is nearly  always  better than pharmaceutical.
 Above: Basket weaving looks very intricate!

 Above: This vendor had all kinds of flavored popcorns and pork rinds if memory serves.
Above: Bird houses of all varieties and sizes!



 Above: The grounds were busy with people, but it was not crazy crowded.   Just right.
 Above and below: wooden crafts for sale. So pretty! 


 Above: Some unique wind chimes!  Very creative and whimsical.  My favorite is the high button boot
 Natural goods for sale for skin care and herbal remedies.  All great stuff.  
 The historic society information tent

 We missed out on the ice cream. We were too full after barbecue!
 Above:  The beautiful lookout tower watching down over the festivities
Above:  Kenny purchased our lunch while I went to find us a spot to sit down. 


Below I leave you with a little music from the festival.  One of my favorites . Amy by Pure Prairie League.  This guy was good!  


2 comments:

  1. You did not stop by to see me! We had a booth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, that is terrible! I hate that. I would never have slighted you. I'd have been tickled to see you. I guess the festival was busier than I realized. Somehow I never saw your booth. I'd have recognized that name and face for sure! How can I make it up to you?

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝