Thursday, May 21, 2020

Foothills Parkway Exploring


Yellow Goatsbeard Dandelion on FHPW



Foothills Parkway Exploring

Dana Koogler 

Saturday May 9, 2020
**I am doing abbreviated write ups of  my back log of blog entries.  
I am far enough behind that it is necessary at this point.** 
 

 
   Kenny had to work on Saturday.   I had decided to sleep in and do something closer to home.   I got stirring finally. We were in the grips of the corona virus pandemic as well as the chilly fingers of Blackberry Winter.
Once the day got warm I headed to Foothills Parkway and Top of the World.   Today was the first day the Great Smoky Mountains National Park would reopen the trail system!  I knew a lot of relieved hikers would flock to the trails. I figured I'd visit the Back Door and avoid the crowds.  

    The day had warmed up and was beautiful. Clear blue skies and sunshine.   The air was the perfect temperature.   I stopped at all the overlooks and took pictures and enjoyed the nice view.  


Above: pretty pink shade of daisy flea bane
Above and below.. view from the first overlook to the east

above and below:mountain laurel blooming along the parkway

Above: We are fortunate to live near the convenient and beautiful Foothills Parkway.

    I drove on along stopping and checking things out. Many wildflowers were already finished for the season in this area.  


 Above: Boyd Hopkins.. do you know where I was? :-)

     Above: Proof we are in the Blackberry Winter. 


      I headed to my original destination.   The trailhead that is what I call the Back Door of the Smokies.  Goldmine Gap Trail.. up in the edge of a housing development.   Top of the World.  I arrived to find more cars there than I had EVER seen before.  Not one parking space left.  I was discouraged, but I had to laugh.  I was just so glad to see things opening up again. I could hardly blame folks for wanting to get out.  Apparently a lot of others had the same idea as me... try an out of the way location and spread out. 
I figured that was enough people. The authorities had already threatened to shut things down again if folks didn't abide by the social distancing guidelines.  I wasn't going to be the one to upset the apple cart.   I pushed on to find something else to do.   I am blessed to live very close. I can easily come back another day.   It surely didn't help that I slept in! 


I drove up to a tower site that Kenny had me look at with him recently. I enjoyed the view. I found a few pretty wildflowers.  

 Above and below: pussytoes in flower

 Above and below: Wild columbine in bloom by the road

I drove by Top of the World Chapel. It is such a quaint spot. 
Lots of folks fishing and walking.

    I headed back out to the main road to figure what was next. I had a spot in mind.  I doubted I'd encounter anyone there.  Below is a view from the next overlook I came to on the east. 

 I had this trail to myself.

 Above: I was able to ford this pretty creek and sit on a log and eat lunch. I listened to the stream and birds and breeze.  I soaked up some sun.  Then I walked back to the road and crossed to hike the other side a bit.
 Above and below: Carolina pinks were profuse here along this trail

 I saw lots of Catesby's trilliums aged to bold pink

 Below: yellow star grass was also in bloom

 Two paths diverged in a wood.....
 I took the one that lead down to the creek. 
 Mountain laurel just blooming out
 Above:  golden ragwort

Above: Another last look of one of the views off Foothills Parkway.

I had a good day.  I headed home with a smile on my face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝