Sunday, June 28, 2020

Fathers Day Weekend Trip- Hiwassee River Paddling




Fathers Day Weekend Trip- Hiwassee River Paddling &  Towee Creek Cookout

Saturday,  June 20, 2020

Kenny and Dana Koogler
Adam, Crystal, Michael and Tessa Lindsey
Mike & Renaee Lindsey


Hiwassee Pix are here



Above:  an old photo of Webb's Store. I failed to take one today because I was with my family.  When the grandkids are around I am having fun and helping look after them. I am not focused as much on taking pictures, but making memories with them.  Keeping them safe. The covid and mask wearing, social distancing did nothing to help me relax around all those people before the trip started. 

  Crystal decided she wanted to see if our family could go paddling on the Hiwassee River the weekend of Fathers Day.    I was game.  We had done this once before when she was sixteen and her brother thirteen.  We had fun that time.   We figured after seventeen years we should give it another go.  We got the extra nice surprise that Papa Mike and Renaee Lindsey ... Crystal's in laws wanted to go also! They do more paddling on the river than we do .   
I was very excited. I hoped all would go to plan.  

       We met up in Reliance and headed toward Webb Brother's Store.
It is one of two paddling outfits in the tiny community.   I grew up going to country stores just like this.  My great grandfather owned a Gulf Station and convenience store after he retired.   I remember very well sitting on the bench outside the store at Cream Sutton's drinking a coke or eating a popsicle.
Given the choice between Webb Brothers Store vs. any other outfit.. I'll go with Webb's every time. 

    It was busy, but we managed to find parking in the lot.   We went up to the store to sign releases and pay.  It was not required to have reservations and we didn't.  It would have made things a tad easier, but it all worked out.  We rented
three double duckies and divvied up into pairs. Mike and Reneae brought their own kayaks and we helped them set a shuttle.   Webb's shuttles you up river along Powerhouse Road on the back of a pickup truck with cattle rails!  I loved the truck ride as much as the float trip.  I remember riding like that now and then as a kid.    I did not take anything with me except a bottle of water.  I do not have photos from the trip.   It cost us about $60 for two persons for all day.  That is a pretty good bargain.  You can go down the river's five mile float over and over if you wish.   It wore our butts out. We were ready to be done by the time we got back. 

    The float was beautiful.  I was thrilled we were all together having an adventure.   Today was the first time ever in the Hiwassee that I saw zero snakes!
I guess it helps that nowdays I am not as scared of them as  I once was.  I got over that awhile back.

         The float trip was about as tough as it was the first go round.
We got hung up several times.  One time was exasperating. I thought we'd never get that duck off the rocks!   Adam, my son in law, had some tips for me and Crystal. We took his advice on how to sit in the craft and it helped a bunch.
We also started taking the rapids at an angle instead of head on.  That helped too.

       I'd go again.  If you go more often it gets easier, because you get better at it.
Once we got to the point where we could see the railroad bridge we got a second wind.   We knew we only had 1/4 mile to go.  All the really tough rapids were behind us.   We drifted over to the left side little by little to get out.  We made it!

     We got out of the river and went to the jeep.  I was thirsty having long ago finished up my water.   After a nice cold drink I went in the store and bought me a Webb Brother's souvenir tee shirt.   I had one in the past, but it is long gone.

      We headed toward the Towee Creek boat launch and picnic area to have our cookout.   We brought our portable grill, a folding table, lawn chairs, all kinds of good things.   We found a shady table.  Beside it sat a grill.   I asked a man and woman if they were using the table?  They replied no. They noted that the grill had been sitting there all day.   It was a brand new charcoal grill that looked to have been used exactly once before.   Something told me that was a God thing.
Below is a photo of the grill and the built in one also.

  We began setting up our stuff.  Kenny and Adam fooled with the grill trying to get it fired up so we could cook.  It occurred to me that it seemed to be taking a long time.  Kenny asked me to bring him the lighter.  It is not uncommon for the electric igniter on a grill to quit.   We came prepared we thought.  Despite every effort the grill was not going to work.   The regulator was not cooperating with the smaller gas canisters.   There was sat with a cooler full of raw hamburgers.

     Adam went back to a small store we had passed on the way there.  Reliance Fly and Tackle was only 2 miles away.   He was hunting charcoal and lighter fluid.  Failing that we'd have to double back to the FlipFlop burger for lunch.
It wasn't too long til Adam showed up successful. Charcoal and lighter fluid in hand!  Hallelujah!  Tell me that wasn't Divine Providence!
 
Below is a photo of the fired up grill!  A great sight to hungry tummies!


 Towee Creek flows by with lots of smooth rocks to skip.
 Towee Creek looking toward the bridge and the Hiwassee
 Perfect picnic spot!
 The Whole Fam Damily

 First Fall leaf on all that clear water!



 nearby restrooms
 Black eyed susies along the road
 My grandkids swimming in the creek with new friends above and below


 Towee Creek looking upstream into the shade.
Above: quaint little covered bridge back at Reliance Fly & Tackle.  It crosses the creek behind their store and campground.

    We had burgers, hotdogs, watermelon, cowboy caviar with corn chips, and sweet tea.   Everyone got plenty to eat.  We all felt very mellow.   Our family went through some hurts five years ago when Teresa Lindsey passed away much too soon.  I had been praying for God to help us heal.  Isn't it marvelous how God takes broken pieces and puts them back together to make something beautiful?  Renaee fills gaps  in our hearts and lives.  There is always enough love to go around.   Love covers a multitude of hurts thanks to God's grace.

       I had prayed for many years over Renaee as she went through her own devastating losses of a beloved husband, Dale.   Then we were there the night her cabin caught fire and burned down.   Her daughter in law Anita was there to take care of me when I had surgery and was in the hospital.   Something kept bring the Myers family into our lives.  It was another God moment.  If I live to be 100 I'll never forget the day I heard the Lord's voice explaining his plan to me to fix us and help us.   Now I am seeing the fruits of those prayers.

    You have a need? God's got you!  Be it a grill or a new family member to mend your heart.     Thank you Lord!

  What a perfect day this was! 

Below is a short video of Gee Creek Falls in the area from another trip. It is set to music from The Rain Kings. Destiny calling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝