Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Western North Carolina Weekend Camping with The Storeys


Kathy Storey gazing into the woods at a wet weather falls near Courthouse Falls



Western North Carolina Weekend Camping with The Storeys


11-7-2019 thru 11-9-2019

Dana & Kenny Koogler
Wally and Kathy Storey




   This is another abbreviated trip report because I have let things lapse to the point I must catch up.  It is also very hard to remember details after this many months.   Trying to get caught up so I can focus on getting back to writing the quality blogs I used to write.

       We planned a get away weekend to Adventure Village to hike and visit with the Storeys.     Wally was going to try to finish up the final falls on a list he'd been working on.  His last trip was to Sidepocket Falls.  It is a tough little hike and navigating to find the falls looked to be a challenge.   It was not one he wanted to tackle solo.   We felt the same way before hand and even more so after completing it.  


           We met up at Adventure Village.  We brought our camper and thanks to the cold weather they rented a cabin.   The first day we went out to try some short hikes.  We went to Roy Taylor Falls and a couple others.  It began to rain on us in earnest after we got to Roy Taylor Falls. Kenny and Kathy had enough of it and went back to the vehicle.  Wally and I were determined to see it so on we went in the rain!   It was comparatively short hike and bushwhack.  The falls was really pretty.  I was glad we went. 

Roy Taylor Falls BV.jpg
 Roy Taylor Falls


IMG_8181.JPG

Above is another roadside falls we visited. I don't remember the name of it.

   
            We went back to the camper and got dry and warm. We visited and planned for the next day.  Kathy has bad knees so Sidepocket was not a hike she planned on attempting. 

   The next morning started off cold.  We met up after breakfast and the three of us set off to Gorges State Park to find Sidepocket Falls.     We were close to the park so it didn't take long to arrive.   We followed Kevin Adam's directions and the couldn't have been any better.   We had far less problem locating the falls than we thought we would.  The hike is a bushwhack that gets harder as you go.
It is diving off a trail into the woods and down over a ridge to try to find a falls along the massive Horse Pasture River.   Kevin mentions in his book it is a place they train green berets.  Especially round Windy Falls.   We originally thought that since it wasn't that far up to Stairway Falls we'd go from Sidepocket up to it.
The plan was abandoned after seeing the brutality of it. 

     We were pleased to have found it and it was warming up a bit today.
We were treated to glorious blue skies, sunshine and Autumn colors in the gorge.
Sidepocket is a low, rumbling falls that is tricky to photograph.
IMG_8183.JPG

Sidepocket Falls in the gloom of the gorge.

Autumn Colors in Horsepasture Gorge.jpg
Astonishing Autumn colors in the gorge in the sunshine

blue skies horsepasture.jpg

Another look at Sidepocket Falls.  Sunlight and shadow are a harsh contrast down in this hole.
Sidepocket colors.jpg
Above is about the best shot I took of Sidepocket Falls

 IMG_8238.JPG

Sidepocket Falls closer up.

   We turned and began our trudge back up the ridge through the brush.  It was tough for me.   I figured once I got to the top and back on the trail I'd be played out.  I believed that would be it for me today.  Once we got back up on the trail and done with the climb I found I had a second wind.  We made it down to see Rainbow Falls.   I did not have enough gumption left to go see Stairway Falls today.   Wally had done it! He finished his list!  Good man!
IMG_8268.JPG
Rainbow Falls was running great today!

   We made the trek back to the parking area.  Though it was Fall I was burning up.   Started off cold, but got real warm.    We went back to the camper and got cleaned up.  We  had a good supper.  I don't remember what I fixed, but I'll never forget Kathy's chili.  Best chili I ever ate! I need to learn to fix it like that.  I could have made a meal on just chili and corn bread!  That woman can cook!

       The next day we got up and had breakfast and went to see Courthouse Falls and Cody Falls.  It had been a long while since I was at Courthouse Falls.  I had never seen Cody Falls and that is sad since it is 100 feet downstream!

Both were beautiful, easy hikes!

 Courthouse Falls and video is here
 Blue skies above Courthouse Falls
 Sun peering over the ridge at Courthouse Falls
 Massive fallen tree at Courthouse Falls
 Cody Falls and video of the falls here

Bottom of Cody Falls

IMG_8327.JPG

Clear stream at Cody Falls
IMG_8328.JPG
  Courthouse Creek flows onward

 Next we went to Headwaters State Forest.  We found and visited East Fork Falls, Graveley Falls and considered Reece Place falls.  We decided against that one because we had such sketchy directions. 
 East Fork Falls is an easy hike video of falls here 
 Side shot of the top of East Fork Falls
 First look at Graveley Falls from the bank.
 Graveley Falls once I have climbed down the bank. Video here
Sunny trail in Headwaters State Forest.  I really like this place!  I look forward to finding the other features in this new public land.

     We headed back to Brevard and stopped at Pisgah Fish Camp for a late lunch/early supper. It was delicious! 

         We had a grand time with this couple.  Grateful for friends.  They are super fun to be with.   Look forward to next time!

   

   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝