Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Four Wheeling With Gabe -- Tellico Plains

 

Scaly Blazing Star close up from along the road today



Four Wheeling With Gabe -- Tellico Plains

Dana & Gabe Koogler


Tues. Sept. 22, 2020




   I wanted to spend some quality time with Gabe this week on a day when he did not have preschool.    I talked to him and we decided we'd go take a drive in the mountains.   Michael had told me I needed to bring Gabe down to Tellico Plains to see the pretty loop drive we'd done this past Spring.  I figured today would be a good day for it.   He spends the night at our house about once a week so I went to pick him up and brought him over to help me get ready.  He was excited to be able to go brrrrrmm out with Nanny and spend the night.  

       We packed up all kinds of stuff to play with and a picnic.   We hit the road and he did real well traveling to Tellico Plains with me.   He was hungry when we got to Madisonville so I pulled into Sonic and got him some tater tots as requested.
Once he was done eating we headed on down to Tellico Plains.   The day was warming up and sunny.  It was 70 degrees for a high today with a mild breeze.
 I promised him once we got to Witt Road I'd pull over and put his booster seat up front to let him ride shotgun.   He was thrilled.   I explained that we could only get by with this while we were way back in the woods where the law wouldn't get us.  It was because we would be creeping along and see little or no traffic that we could try this.   I told him once we got round to the Epperson church I'd have to put him back in his regular car seat.   He was good with all that.
Above: Gabe sits on a big rock by Conasauga Creek

           He liked riding up front with me like a big boy.  His favorite part of the experience was driving through the creek five times.  We had to turn around and do it again on some of the fords because it was such fun.   He also loved throwing rocks.  He tried putting his feet in the creek, but it had turned too cool for that.
He rapidly changed his mind and wanted me to help him get his shoes back on.
Swimming weather is over around these parts.  This time last year we were still swimming up through the second week of October!  Not this year.  
 
Above: cascade on Conasauga Creek
        The roads were lined with tons of goldenrod, purple asters, joe pye weed, purple disc sunflowers, downy lobelia, a little bit of cardinal flower now and then. 
Some white crownbeard, wingstem, white asters and boneset.   A few places we saw red velvet points of staghorn sumac.   The woods had that smell of Autumn. There is a sound too of crickets chirping and the insect world letting you know the weather has changed. They are wrapping up their business for the season.  
Above: low water levels on beautiful Conasauga Creek. Lots of good throwing rocks. 

    We had to fix a lunch on the backpacking stove.  Gabe always loves that.
I could tell when he started urging me along that despite what he was saying.... he was growing tired.   It was a big day of adventure for my little man.  He got to Epperson church and I pulled over to put him back in his car seat.   He did not argue about it.   He got comfortable with his blanket and a sip of some milk and was conked out before I ever got to the end of Hotwater Road.   Nanny wore him out.   He slept most of the way home.   I think he woke up about Greenback.  

Above: the reknowned rock thrower. Someone has dammed up the creek.  Twernt us.   
    It was a fun day.  I enjoy this little fellow so much.   Michael came over this evening with Papaw for supper with me and Gabe.  My 11 year old grandson love his heart.   He told me he came over to play and visit because he was a little sad. His girlfriend broke up with him today.   He grinned and said Oh well... it's middle school. It's going to happen."  I know he was a little hurt over it.   I'm glad that at age eleven he still seeks comfort from us.   It makes me feel needed.  It gives me hope that we can remain close.  I hope to always remain close with my grandchildren. All of them.   


White asters



Cardinal flower


Creek ford #1


Above: Gabe throwing more rocks at ford #4


Ford #4  is very pretty where Fleming Creek comes in to the road.


Purple asters.


Above; an unexpected find... scaly blazing star!


and last but not least my favorites.. purple disc sunflowers!  



    I'll see y'all and write up a storm when I get back from vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝