Monday, October 5, 2020

Moab Trip --Lessons Learned


Sunflowers growing wild by the road in Moab, Utah.


Moab Trip --Lessons Learned

Kenny & Dana Koogler

Thurs. Sept. 24 through Sunday Oct. 4, 2020


**Edited today Friday Nov. 13, 2020 to add a video of La Sal Pass on the RZR**


Fraught With Problems From the Jump


  The trip was full of problems from the beginning.   Summer of 2020 was to be our Portland, Oregon vacation trip.   Back during late Winter or very early Spring 2020 Kenny approached me about going to Moab with the guys on a riding trip.   Originally this was something I had been interested in doing, but not this year.  He put it to me in such a way that made it sound like he was going with his buddies and that was that.  It hurt me to my core.  I was stunned, furious, and more than anything felt hurt, betrayed and abandoned.
I let him know of my displeasure with this change of plans.  He immediately began trying to smooth things over and back pedal out of his choice of wording.   He claimed I was welcome to go, but that he was going to do this. He gave as reasons a chance that might not come again for him to go with his buddies. He added that it would be a less expensive trip and would allow us to save money for a future trip to Oregon.    
above: arriving in Moab

      One of the things I cannot put up with at my age is any more emotional hurt and arguing.  It drains me physically and in every way to fight.   It just isn't worth it.  I immediately set about trying to get myself in a better head space about the whole situation.   I was trying to make peace with it and go along and get along.   Corona virus hit in March 2020 so while we proceeded with plans and turned in monies for the trip it was up in the air whether it was even going to happen.   I was not involved in any of the making of arrangements.  I was merely going along with the plan.   A friend who was to go became seriously ill and was not going to be able to go.   I wondered because of that if the trip would even take place.  Despite all the set backs the trip moved forward.  Another great friend in our group had a brother become terminally ill just prior to the trip. Once again, uncertainty if it would even happen.  I felt like with all the hardship around it just wasn't the most important thing in the world.  
Above: views of the rock formations surrounding  Moab

     I tried to keep up with where we were staying, who was going, what the activities would be.   I spoke with Kenny about concerns and listened to his reassurances.   I had a bad feeling about it, but tried to squelch that nagging voice in my head.   The time rolled around and I was wishing for it to be over even before we left.   I just could not put the thought out of my mind that something was not right.  
View from our condo above

       The day rolled round and we packed up and left for the cross country drive.    It was to be a convoy from what I knew.   Kenny was driving his truck and towing a long gooseneck trailer loaded down with four machines.  Our RZR, Buck's, Andrew's, and Corey's.  Five of us were in Kenny's truck.  Kenny, myself, Buck, his grandson Skyler and Corey.   The other groups of people I did not know at all.   I had only met Corey maybe a week prior to leaving.    The drive out was not too bad.   Corona virus made things more lumpy and difficult.   Finding a place to eat that was open for dine in service was a challenge.   You can't do drive through easily when you are a behemoth size as we were.   

          The first day we made it from Knoxville, Tennessee all the way to Junction City, Kansas.   We had a little over half the drive done.  We had another full day of driving, another overnight stay and three hours of drive left for the arrival in Moab.  We drove from Junction City, Kansas to Grand Junction, Colorado along Highway 70.   I asked if we could go to Rifle Falls which was only 14 miles from our hotel. It was a 0.20 mile one way hike to a very beautiful falls I wanted to visit.  We had time to do it.  Kenny and the men tried to unhitch the trailer and leave the machines at the hotel, but the damn thing would not jack up.  Kenny nearly gave himself a stroke trying to make it go.   I was crest fallen.  Strike one.  I had been concerned that nothing I wanted to do on this trip was going to take place.  So far that had proved true.  I realized based on the difficulties of getting around with this contraption and the distances involved that visits to hot springs were also not going to happen.  Strike two.   
Above: beautiful mountains around Moab

  It was a hard pull, but scenic.  Glenwood Canyon, the Eisenhower Tunnel, and the mountains of Colorado were beautiful. They made me gasp literally a couple times. That part was good at least. 
Tim's truck and the other trailer loaded down with machines encountered problems along this route.   They were about 60 miles behind us just before Silverthorne Co.  They had not quite got to the Eisenhower tunnel when the truck overheated.   Long story short somehow they were upset and felt we must come back to get them.  Kenny was just not willing to do this.  We could not fix the truck.  We could not unhitch the trailer with all the machines loaded on it to pull them.   If they needed assistance they were going to need to call a wrecker service for a tractor trailer and get themselves towed to safety and help in Silverthorne.   It was a prickly situation from there on out. Corey was very upset and that became more evident later in the trip.  I felt like somehow strike three had just occurred.  The nagging unease in me was more prevalent now.  Before too long the group in the distressed truck got going again.  I'm sure it was a relief to all.  I felt bad about it, but I recognized the futility of it. It is no fun feeling helpless to remedy a problem for yourself or others. 

More red rock formations around us in Spanish Valley 

     Communication is Key

Starting into the Manti La Sal Mountains in Utah above

     I have studied on the events leading up to this trip, during the trip and afterwards.   I got out the Bible and started studying the scripture to see how to handle this situation and trip report.   I certainly did not want to make an already sensitive situation worse.   I realized that the majority of the problems  relating to this trip past, present, and future were caused by poor communication and undisciplined tongues.   

      Proverbs 17: 9 says " He that covereth a transgression seeketh love, but 
he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. "

  Proverbs 15: 1 says " A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words   stir up anger"  

   Proverbs 25:23 says " The north wind driveth away rain, so doeth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue." 

  The Bible also says this about forgiveness in Luke 6: 37 

 "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned:  forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.

    With all that in my heart and mind I am merely going from this point on in the trip report to share the events that happened to me and Kenny.  I will tell the truth, but not details lest it stir up hard feelings and trouble.   I will for my own sake write down my insights  for the purpose of learning lessons.    Perhaps I can avoid making the same mistakes over again.  I hope so. 


Above: Kenny fording Mill Creek.  I am out of the machine exploring and wading the creek. 
Below: standing in Mill Creek looking downstream




Saturday Arrival  in Moab and Events
           
             
        We finally got the necessary preparations done and were able to go 
riding for a little while on Saturday evening.  We might have been out for two hours if that.   Moab had a few waterfalls nearby.  One was right up the road.
We arrived at Faux Falls above Ken's Lake to find it bone dry.  Not a drop of water.  Ken's Lake was low on water also.   Fire danger was high.   The desert here was beautiful in its own way.   All around were beautiful sunflowers and loads of delicate purple asters.    The red rocks of the Utah desert and all the shapes they are carved into were amazing.   We had some pretty views.
We found a creek flowing. Mill Creek has water in it year round.
The trail we road was Steel Bender/Flat Pass.   It was pretty dramatic.    
 We went out to dinner that evening rather than try to cook since we were all very tired.   I was dehydrated, and drank a lot of water.  I drank bottled water, tap water, and filtered water from the refrigerator.   It  all  tasted good.  I went to bed  in a king sized bed in a lovely bedroom in a gorgeous condo.


Above: living room in the condo
Below: our bedroom 



Sunday 
   Sunday morning I woke up very homesick.  I felt  super tired.  
I figured I was overwhelmed from stress, the time change, and travel in general.  I told Kenny to go on and ride and have fun.  I needed a day to recover my strength.  I felt sure I'd be ok soon.  I rested all day.  I slept a lot.
Kenny went ahead, but was upset and worried.  He called me throughout the day to check on me. I reassured him I was ok and going to be fine. I did not want him to feel guilty.  I also did not want to inflict my tiredness and poor mood on any of our friends.  I had arrived at the realization that Moab was not what I hoped.  I also realized that nothing I wanted to do was likely to happen. 

La Sal Mountains and Autumn above and below





Monday

  Monday I woke feeling  better and we were able to go out and do something.  It took a lot of studying on it to find something worth doing.   Kenny and I put our heads together and finally settled on a visit to the high mountains.  We would ride the Geyser Pass/La Sal Pass loop.   The mountains here turned out to be beautiful.  It was a glorious bluebird day.   Perfect weather.  Lovely scenery.  Time together as a couple.   I felt much improved.  I had hope that perhaps the trip was not going to be a complete bust.  I was in great spirits. We both were.   I was in awe of the fact we were seeing the red rocks of the desert, the scenic views. I was at last getting to experience Autumn among those golden aspen trees you see in photos or post cards.  

       Geyser Pass was amazing.  We saw loads of animals:

  • chipmunks
  • mule deer
  • hawks
  • turkeys
  • trout leaping in medicine lake and a stream
  • grouse.. five or six of them

   We were wowed by the dramatic drop offs down the sides of mountains. 

Talus slopes of gray rocks and towering mountain peaks above us.

Forests of fir, spruce, pine trees in hunter green.  Stands of aspen with their pale white bark and fluttering golden leaves.  Some of the aspens were more orange and fairly glowed in the sunlight.   Scrub oaks of brown and maroon.

Sage fields with goldenrod, sunflowers, purple and white asters. 

 

Above: Medicine Lake

Below: golden forest around Medicine Lake






Above: Road at Geyser Pass heading round the back part of the loop
Kenny on the boulders and talus slope at the base of the mountain
Geyser Pass
The photo doesn't do justice to the extremely steep drop off and long way down.
above and below more views of the colors of autumn in Utah

Burro Pass above

My favorite colors... green and gold.  I like all colors but these are some of my favorite ones. 

    Medicine Lake was like a post card or a scene from a tv show.  

It was a shimmering mirror of the Utah sky.    Trout leaped and schooled in its waters.   It was offset by pale mountains and deep dark green trees around it.

  La Sal Pass was beautiful as well.  It was more dramatic scenery as it is an avalanche zone that has been cleared out enough to travel the trail.   It sits at the below the summit of the mountain with another several thousand feet towering over you.   On the side of the trail is a drop off of thousands of feet straight down.

 We crossed through a stream here on this side of the mountain just prior to La Sal Pass.   This side of the mountains had way less wildlife, but far more water and springs.    It was also more surrounded by the forest. Less views for part of it of the mountains in the distance, but the forest is more up close and personal.      Pinion pines were more abundant over on this side.   I liked it, but I got tired toward the end of the 73 mile ride. I remembered to bring a scarf to cover my mouth and nose against all the dust, but I could still feel the grit in my teeth and nose.  I could feel a layer of grit and dust on my skin and in my hair.   I got very nervous heading down the mountain because I wasn't driving and could not see around the sharp turns.   I was very glad to be back down once that part was over. I was even happier to be back at the condo and wash off the grime.  The bathtub had a big dirt ring once I was done.   I developed a nose bleed after this day of riding due to the arid conditions and desert dust.  It bled off and on until after we had been back in Tennessee a few days. 

above: aspen forest up close
above: unnamed stream across the road.  heading to La Sal Pass.  trout were jumping in this stream!  

I loved the blue skies contrasted with the earth tones of Fall.

 Tuesday through Thursday Sick

Tuesday morning I woke up knowing in the wee hours of the morning I was physically sick.  The tap water from an unfamiliar area had shredded my gut. 

Kenny was upset and worried about me, but I just needed to take care of myself and lay real still for awhile.  He sweetly went to the store and got me pepto-bismol, imodium, ginger ale, and food for a bland diet. 

 I urged him to go riding and have fun and not worry about me. I knew eventually I'd get right.   He did finally go, but called to check on me once again.   I slept a lot. I began to feel really weak and nauseated as the illness hung on.   I was determined to get feeling better to try to enjoy what was left of this trip.  I was also determined I HAD to recover because I could not travel home in this condition.


  Thursday afternoon I forced myself to get out on the patio in the fresh air and sunshine.  They had a couple chaise lounge chairs on the patio.  I would go out there and lie down in the sun hoping the warm sun and fresh breeze would improve my condition.   I began to feel better.  I had finally broke down and took a couple imodium tablets.  I avoid those things because they are like putting a cork in a bottle of muddy water.   Best not to use that stuff if you can help it, but there was nothing for it now.   I forced myself to eat a little and drink ginger ale.  I got up and stirred every little bit.  I was finally able to walk around the block.   That felt great.

 I  kept working at it until Thursday evening when the crew returned back I was actually hungry!  Kenny and Anna fixed burgers and fries for supper and it was the best tasting meal of the whole trip.   I think just because I was so in need of solid nourishment and strength.  It felt great to be able to sit out in the living room and watch tv with everyone and talk.   Anna gave me some zofran to keep on hand for the trip home in case I got to feeling poorly.  It was very kind and thoughtful of her.

 I told her that I was sorry I had not been much fun, but I was not trying to be anti social.  I just didn't want to inflict myself on anyone and ruin their good time.  She understood as they all did.   I slept well Thursday night. I remember waking briefly around 2 a.m. on Friday morning and thinking how fine a thing it was to not feel sick anymore!  No more pain or nausea. No more uneasy feeling that it was about to return either!   


             


Friday 

Tusher Tunnel and Poison Spider Mesa Glyphs


 Friday morning we went riding to Tusher Tunnel and Poison Spider Mesa.

I got to see the glyphs on the canyon walls.  I got to see some views of the Colorado River and the surrounding terrain.  Tusher Tunnel was a short ride and hike.  It was very cool to see the tunnel that formed in the rock as it was eroded by water and wind over time. It goes all the way through the bluff. 

We had lunch in town and did some souvenir shopping.  I liked the glyphs so much I got a piece of art by a local artist who carved glyphs on terra cotta. 

I did not want a Moab t shirt or anything like that. I felt like Doc Holliday, 

"My hypocrisy goes only  so far. "   I enjoyed the glyphs and the desert, but I did not want to advertise Moab on my back or front since I was not over enthused about that!   

Above: South Mountain 
above: group of mule deer 
Above and below views of the colors of fall and the mountain above us. 

Saturday to Sunday-- Driving Back Home 

  We packed Friday night and left Utah at 6:23 a.m.   The other condo of our group had already left by then. They stayed ahead of us the entire trip. Presumably so if they got into difficulties again we'd be on the way to catch up with them and possibly help this time.  We all took the southern route home via Albuquerque and I-40 east this time.   It was an easier route with less pull for the trucks.  It was supposed to be about an hour longer drive, but it avoided the tight areas along Route 70 and the road work and traffic jams.  I think it more than offset the extra miles.   We stayed in Oklahoma City one night and finished the drive up to home on Sunday.    All went well.  It was interesting seeing historic route 66 and all the desolate areas along it. It has that Americana feel for sure just like it did out in Seligman, Arizona and Kingman.   

Above: Ute mountain taken with my cell phone. These three are cell phone pix. 
Above: Chimney Rock in the Four Corners/Shiprock Area of New Mexico
New Mexico desert traveling home. 


    It was great to get home.   It was great to sleep in my own bed.  It took a couple days to get over the time change. 

Above: La Sal Pass where the avalanche came down 
 Mt. Tukuhnikivatz towers above us.. a long talus slope on its sides just above the trail. 
A view toward Spanish Valley from La Sal Pass


Thoughts and Insights About the Trip and Life

1.  I have gotten to a point at my age that arguing exhausts me. Even thinking about arguing makes me feel drained.  Yet despite my dislike of conflict between me and my spouse there are times I will have to fight for what is right no matter the cost.

2.  We need to work harder to resolve conflicts together creatively.

3. We are both at an age where some of our decisions are governed by fear. Fear it is the last chance for this activity.  Fear of abandonment.  

4.  Traveling with the ATV is too limiting especially on cross country trips.

5. Neither of us cares  for the true desert.   We both much prefer an area where the desert landscape is offset by oasis of water and green growing things.

6.  Despite getting along fine 99% of the time drinking tap water...It can be a trip ruining choice.  Drink filtered or bottled water ONLY when out of town unless there is no choice. 

7. Communication PRIOR to a trip in a group is essential.  Regarding everyone's roles, expectations, and costs.  

8.  A large age difference in a group of participants sets the stage for difficulties and conflict.

9.  People's behavior can surprise you in both good and bad ways. 

   Adults who you'd think would be mature can still have poor impulse control, undisciplined mouths, be selfish and petty, lack courage to say what they think to your face, talk about folks behind their backs, and get upset if they can't control a situation.   

  During times of struggle  we can be surprised at the kindness of friends. We can learn how truly caring they are.  Buck Coward, Skyler his grandson, Andrew and Anna and Barry were all very encouraging, caring, and kind people.  It is very comforting to know people of this caliber.  It gives me faith and hope for humanity.

10.  Don't go on vacation with strangers.  You don't know each other well enough to say if you'll really have a good time and be compatible.  It  certainly isn't a good time to find out that the person you went on a trip with goes from being a decent guy to a mouthy, belligerent drunk when they consume alcohol.  It isn't a good time for the partying type to find out their travel companions are not into parties and are very quiet, reserved people.  I'm sure Kenny and I at our ages and dispositions are quite boring to young folks.  We think a good evening is watching reruns of Gunsmoke snuggled up on the couch. 

11.  The friend who did not get to go on the trip is doing well and I believe will be healed.  I continue to pray for his full, speedy recovery and continued health and prosperity for him and his family.  I am grateful for this. 


Above: Medicine Lake glitters in the sun

First on This Trip 

First cross country drive

Added another large chunk of  historic Route 66 driven. 

Added four new states to the list of ones I've visited.

Arkansas, Oklahoma, Utah, and New Mexico!

Saw the Colorado Rockies for the first time from the ground.

Finally all the way across Tennessee despite having lived here for nearly 719 years.. I'd never been further west than Nashville.  I had been as far west as Kansas in the U.S.A. 

Finally got to see Memphis and Jackson TN.

Made some sweet new friends in Andrew, Anna, and Barry Sinclair. 

Above and below: panels of glyphs at Poison Spider Mesa

Above: Colorado River
Above: Cool old church building and wagon.
above and below: Tusher Tunnel 

Looking out of the far end of Tusher Tunnel at the desert

above: neat rock formations in the area surrounding Tusher Tunnel and wash.

"Letting someone create a false narrative of you is a small price to pay for having rid yourself of their toxicity.  Let them say what they want, if you and the Most High know the truth ,your life will flourish. "

I don't know who to first said that, but Kenny has been trying for a long time to get that point across to me.  I finally grasp that concept and see that it is right.  

Above: a look at the Battlestar Galactica on the ride out.  Skyler and Buck in the photo.
View of the Rocky Mountains heading through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado.
above: Dawn over Colorado on the ride home. 
Above: a welcome sight ... back into Tennessee from West Memphis, Arkansas on the trip home.   

Below are a couple videos. First one is of Medicine Lake. 
Second one is Tusher Tunnel.  







2 comments:

  1. Wow! Bless your heart girl! Nothing like being sick and away from home. Your photos are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate the compliment on the photos. Writing the trip report was cathartic. It helped put it in perspective. The time spent with friends was priceless. The photos helped me realize that it was really beautiful and a memory making trip despite setbacks. Rest and time heal all wounds.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝