Monday, January 18, 2021

Waterfallkeepers Service Organization My First Trip


 

Waterfallkeepers Service Organization-- My first Trip 

Thursday January 7, 2021

 Little Fall Branch Falls 

Click the link above for a map indicating where the waterfall is located or

the waypoints are here: 35.75500 -82.97670


Waterfall Keepers of NC 

(click the link above to take you to the website of the organization) 


Hike distance for the day 2.25 miles total

Pictures are here: Waterfall Keepers 2021 Photos


   I had better start with an introduction or explanation of who and what Waterfall Keepers of NC is all about.  It is a non profit organization begun by waterfall photography guru Kevin Adams together with Holly Bass.   It has a board of directors made up of some fine people in the waterfall enthusiast community. Rich Stevenson and Brenda Wiley are two I can remember off the top of my head.   It was begun in part because Kevin Adams felt that  his having written guidebooks and photography taking instruction books for waterfalls had increased visitors to these spots.  Increased visitors means increasing the impact unfortunately.  He decided it was time to do something to give back.   Thus was born the non profit that in a mere two  months had already :

  • 205 members
  • 160 waterfalls adopted
  • 154 waterfall adopters
  • 346 gallons of trash removed not to mention old car batteries, mattresses, tents, abandoned campsites cleaned up. Those things can't be measured in gallons.
  • 266 volunteer hours spent at waterfalls
  • They added a science and education coordinator to their staff --Kira King
  • Trails coordinator added to staff
  • Trail crews forming
  • Alliances formed with numerous government and other non profit agencies
  • Begun and added to the Waterfall Materials Library
  • Graffiti removal crews begin formed
  • Consulted on a major trails construction project to a popular waterfall
  • Initiated plans on behalf of a government agency to establish a new park that includes several several waterfalls that until now have not been publicly accessible.
  • Began work on a safety and education brochure that is to be distributed across North Carolina.
  • Planning in progress for the Junior Waterfall Keepers program to officially launch in Spring (this one is for the kiddos!)
  • Planning in progress to make access to two waterfalls safe and environmentally sound.
   That is a whopping list of accomplishments for any outfit, but especially one that was born just in November!  I guarantee you that as I type this list I'm sharing from The Spray newsletter it is badly out of date.   I am only one person and I have only visited one of my waterfalls.. Little Fall Branch Falls near Max Patch.  In one trip alone I carried out 30 gallons of trash.  


    I jumped on board the very day this was announced back in November.  I signed up for a family membership.  I adopted two waterfalls.   I shared the post announcing the organization several times on social media to get the word out.

Today in a world and a country that is so polarized it is marvelous to become part of something positive.  I loved being part of something good and useful that instead of just complaining about the problem I am becoming part of the solution.

I love being part of something that is bringing people together in a very big way.

  Our own country has gone through Hell in 2020 and it has bled over into 2021 because of the discord surrounding our presidential election results.  Waterfalls are just beautiful. Stewardship of God's beautiful creation is just beautiful and satisfying.  None of these things are politicized in any way.

It is a breath of fresh air to say the least.   It is fun also.

   If you are interested in being part of something fun, useful, positive where principles before personalities is a supreme ideal...... this is something you may want to join.  Take a look at the website.  There are many ways to get involved.

You can become a member.  You can adopt a waterfall.  You can come just for a day event and help with a pickup.  You can meet interesting and positive minded people and fellowship with one another while doing good work.   Read for yourself and perhaps you will find a niche where you'll fit right in.  I plan to take my grandkids with us on family trips to pick up. Teach them to give back.  


   That said. ... I will tell you about what happened when the Cumberland Gal went on her first waterfall pickup trip. And so help me if I find out who told the six men running around minus their pants that I was coming and what day..... I will jerk a knot in your tail!   




   I  take care of a grandchild and get him back and forth to Preschool a couple days a week.  I set aside the first free Thursday I had in the month of January to get my trash pick up done.   I adopted two falls.  Little Fall Branch Falls is the closest, easiest access waterfall to Tennessee for me.   Lemon Falls is an easy access waterfall near Adventure Village where I camp several times each year.  You're supposed to visit the waterfall and pick up trash once a quarter.  I will make my Winter quarterly pickup at Lemon Falls in February while in the area for a group event.    
Above:  Little Fall Branch Falls with icicles in the thirty degree weather.

    The drive is mostly interstate and takes me an hour and half to get there in normal traffic.   I got a fairly early start and arrived there at 10:30 a.m.   I reviewed the information on the handout of what equipment to take along the night before.  It was very helpful in getting organized.  I took along trash bags, two five gallon buckets, a toy garden hoe from the Dollar General, leather work gloves, a warm coat, drinking water, and snacks.   I had planned if the litter was very smelly I'd stop by some of the businesses at Hartford, Tennessee which is the nearest exit with services like gas stations, food, etc.   I figured I'd introduce myself and explain who I was and what I'm doing.  Perhaps one of the businesses would be agreeable to me leaving my trash haul in their dumpster.  It sure would beat the alternative of driving back home with it stinking to high heaven! 


I've crossed the creek and I'm sitting under the log taking photos.  I had never bothered to come over here before on any other visit!

      I was pleasantly surprised to find the trailhead only mildly littered. Much of that was half buried in weeds and mud indicating it had been there a long time.  The trail itself had exactly five pieces of trash along it.  I buried one toilet paper blossom with the hoe.  I removed one rock cairn placing the rocks back around in a more natural fashion.   I gleaned those few scraps of trash which were the corner of a food wrapper, a plastic bottle top or two, and one small piece of cardboard. I sat down and enjoyed seeing the waterfall with its icicles and mossy rocks.

Vertical orientation of Little Fall Branch Falls 

I had time to take a few photos.   It was not like work at all.  It was playing for a cause.   I got ready to leave having had the falls to myself for around 20 minutes.

I was startled to see a young family had arrived at the falls.  It was a mom, dad and their two babies.   I introduced myself and it gave me an opportunity to spread the word about the organization.  I don't know if these folks will join or try to help, but the father repeated the name of the group several times to his wife.  They were making notes to remember it.  Social media can be a very positive force in getting people involved with good things.


Above; rock cairn someone stacked... that I removed.  At least this one was not IN the creek. 

       I decided since I was blessed to have seen so little trash I'd extend my trash pick up from the trailhead all the way down the road to the horse camp.  I did and found still not that much trash.  I again found trash that looked to have been where it lay for a long time.  If you find a tennis shoe with moss growing on it... it has been there awhile.   This gave me a lot of hope that perhaps this area is not being too abused for as much use as it sees.   I found the trail in good condition.  I removed a few fallen branches out of the way, but that was easy today as well.

Below is a photo of the dad of the little family. He's got a baby on the front and one on his back!  I took the photo because I was showing that the rock cairn is no longer there. 



      I continued down the road and decided I'd extend my pick up to the picnic area since I'd had such good fortune today.   The weather was ideal.  It was in the thirties, but sunny and warming up.   It felt great to be out under blue skies on a Winter day doing something useful and getting a little exercise and fresh air.

Below: off in the distance is another waterfall on a tributary branch that can be seen from Little Fall Branch Falls. It is mentioned in Kevin's Waterfalls of NC book.   It seldom has much water on it, but it was at least running today and visible through the trees.




By the time I cleaned up around the picnic area I had half a trashbag of stuff. About 15-20 gallons.   I removed my gloves and cleaned my hands using antibacterial wipes.  I sat in the warm jeep to drink some water and eat a snack.

I saw only two other vehicles.  The little family left while I was still sitting there.

Another jeep came in and went toward the falls trailhead, but left before I did.

   I sat feeling pretty satisfied with myself and the way the first trip had gone.


Above: You can just barely see my maroon jeep in the top right corner of the photo.  I have found pair of pants #1. That is what I was seeing from the jeep. 


I looked down the long meadow that is the picnic area.   A stream rolls down along one edge and picnic tables line the bank.  The path continues through an opening into the forest at the edge of the clearing.   I could see something in the distance. 

It was blue jean material.  Now my eyes are good, but they aren't great.  I did not detect any movement.  I was unsure what I was seeing.  It looked like it might be a person out there.   Just on the off chance it was a discarded, illegal camp akin to what Everette encountered on one of his recent trips... I decided I'd best go check.

Above:  pairs of pants 2, 3, and 4 spread out as if to dry.  My camera case in the front of this hints at a woman who is not quite right in the head.  Most women would either leave or pick up the trash quickly and leave.  Not this fool... I gotta take pictures first because pictures are evidence! hahaha!   So while I was a little spooked, clearly I wasn't that disturbed or I'd have been making tracks. 

above Pair of pants #5.. and sadly pants #6 I failed to photograph.  They were the ones folded up so neat under a bush!  All these pants were stuff that was rather dated now that I think about it.  Jordache Jeans and brands from back in the 80s. 

 

Above:  another look at the laundry 

Below: pretty ford of the stream minus the manmade stuff


Below: a broken shovel blade from one of those backpacking trowels. 



I gathered my camera and hoe. I don't know why I chose those items.  I guess the camera as evidence collection and the hoe for some sorry self defense? 

     I had sat watching for any sign of movement while I ate my snack. Nothing.

  A quick stroll across the beautiful sunny meadow and into the woods lead me to a strange sight.    There on a broken tree limb hung a pair of mens jeans.   Spread out on a boulder a bit further on were three pairs of mens pants.  It looked for the world like someone had done their laundry here and hung it out to dry.   I could feel time slowing down and tunnel vision forming.  It occurred to me that I might be standing in some homeless person's camp spot.  I did not want to interfere with someone's personal belongings especially if they were already homeless and struggling.    I did the only thing I could.  I stood there bellowing like a calf out in the field.  "Anybody here?"  I repeated myself a couple times.   Finally with no answer I felt of the pants with my finger tips. They were damp, but just barely. 

They looked and felt like they'd been lying around awhile.   I yelled loudly again to the woods. "I'm fixin' to take  your pants and pick your mess up.  You'd best speak now if you have any objections.?!?"  No response.  So I relaxed and began folding clothes.  In addition to the four pairs of pants I'd seen on the limb and boulder... I found one pair of white pants tossed on the ground to one side.   I found another neatly folded pair of gray sweat pants.. all mens clothing... tucked under a bush.

I folded them all and stacked them on the boulder.   I took photos of all of the scene as proof for no one would believe such an oddity.    My hackles were down now so I walked back to the jeep for the trashbags, buckets and finished picking up. I buried a couple more toilet paper blossoms, picked up beer cans, a broken shovel blade, a pair of shredded Winter gloves.    I now had a 30 gallon bag of trash packed full.  Thankfully that was the end of it.   It was cold out and the trash wasn't too stinky.  I was able to just drive home and toss it in the can with our household garbage.  

     I had to laugh thinking about the six half dressed men running around with their behinds out.  Andy Kunkle saw the photos and funnily quipped "That must have been SOME party!"  Indeed!   






       I had noticed a pretty cascade on the drive in Cold Springs Road.  I tried to spot it on the way out.  Even with the leaves off the trees I could not see it going this direction.   I drove back until I found a place I could get turned around.  I drove back Cold Springs Road until I saw a mylar balloon hanging high on a tree limb.  I remembered it had been near this.  I glanced over toward the stream and could see it again!   I pulled over and bushwhacked down the bank toward the stream.   I spent a little time photographing the scenic cascades and rewarding myself for the effort.   It cracks me up because for many years .. for decades I have been a magnet for weird events.  I have the feeling that while it may have cooled off a bit my gremlin is still following me around creating mischief I guess to keep me on my toes and keep me entertained.  Life would be pretty boring if everyone kept their pants on and always did as they were told.  


above: a small scenic cascade along the stream.


Above: a short bushwhack to see this pretty cascade.  I had never noticed it before.  While not large it was powerful and pretty. 

Below: I loved the blue color of the water where it was deep at the base of the cascade. 




    My friend Jenny Bennett, rest in peace, used to say life  needed balance. She would go to yoga class every week.  After yoga she'd go to Sonic and eat chili cheese fries just to make sure she did exactly that.  I loved her and miss her. She would highly approve of Waterfall Keepers.  I hope you are out there in the cosmos keeping it balanced my friend. 

    


Above: a better look at the cascade I found.. showing the setting what it was REALLY like.  It was rough getting there.  

         

   Below is a video of Little Fall Branch Falls 


    




and below here is a final video of the pretty un-named cascade I am simply calling Harmon Den Cascade


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝