Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Hiking and Exploring Vonore--Wildcat Pointe Overlook, Tellico Blockhouse and the Old Highway 411 Bridge -Part 2

The Stars & Stripes Flies Over the Utility Company


 Hiking and Exploring Vonore--

Wildcat Pointe Overlook, Tellico Blockhouse and the Old Highway 411 Bridge -Part 2

Dana Koogler solo

Total Hike Distance for the Day 3 miles

Tuesday January 26,2021







(They are cued up to the photos in the album for that day. 
Click the right arrow to advance)


   Sunday was cold. windy, and rainy.  It was a good day to stay indoors as was Monday.  Tuesday dawned sunny and milder.  I just couldn't stand it another minute.  I put on my hiking boots, threw my backpack in the jeep and down the road I went.  It was a pretty drive down to Vonore.  It just tickles me to death to
have light traffic, a short drive, and arrive to find I am the one and only person hiking.     

    Though Saturday had cleared up a few things from my long as your arm wish list....... I still wasn't satisfied.  I planned today to knock out a few more. 
I have been trying to be Amanda Gamble when I grow up for a long time. 
That gal has got a hefty dose of her dad in there.  She gets around and takes pictures of lots of interesting places.   I find that keeping up with her adventures tends to add more destinations to my wish list. Today I planned on seeing the overlook at the end of this trail.  I also had three other things I thought I could get done.  
  • Hike the Wildcat Overlook Trail
  • Get a photo of the railroad bridge across the lake
  • Go see Tellico Blockhouse
  • Find the old abandoned Highway 411 bridge that should be sticking up out of the lake this time of year. 

   
   
Above: view from the first overlook to the south


    I pulled into the empty parking lot, got out and hit the trail.  It was uphill for a very brief pull and then just some gentle ups and downs along the ridgeline. 
The trail was in great condition.  There is not a whole lot to see up here this time of year, but there was a view to the south after a couple tenths of a mile.  At several points along the hike they have left logs that are good sitting spots if you need them.   Some big trees along this hike.  As you get out toward the last tenth of a mile or so the trail swings slightly left. I saw on the map a spot named Wildcat Rock, but this trail does not take you within sight of anything easily identifiable as a rock outcrop.   I soon came to the end and the overlook.  It was very pretty. 
I was surprised to find that the trail puts you out further down the lake than I'd guessed.   You are past the Hwy 411 bridge, as well as the railroad bridge!  Across from me were some buildings from the industrial park. 


Above and below views from the overlook straight out at Tellico Lake


Above: view to my right facing the lake
Above: view to my left facing the lake. you can see the railroad bridge!
Above and below-- view of what the terrain is like heading down to the overlook and the very tracked down earth behind you that slopes toward the lake.



   I soaked up the view for awhile and then began my walk back. The forest smelled of pine trees. The air was fresh and clear and the sunshine was glorious after the cold and rain!   Parts of the ridgewalk have you on a narrow knife edge so you can see the lake on either side of you.  I paid more attention to it on the return hike.  I took a little time to check the sider hollers to the south for any signs of the second cabin we'd been hunting Saturday.  My search turned up nothing for a second time.   

  Below is a video shot at the overlook.  





   It seemed like no time at all and I was back at the jeep.  I never saw anyone else until I was halfway out to East Tellico Parkway.  A couple was pulling up in a red car.   I continued to my next stop which was the Tellico Blockhouse.  I turned there at the sign next to the utilities building.  I stopped briefly atop the knoll the utility company sits on.  I used the higher vantage point to get a picture of the railroad bridge crossing the lake.  
Above: Old Glory flies above the utility company


Finally! I photo of the railroad bridge!

  I found the Tellico Blockhouse easily. It is well signed.  I saw a few other couples out walking down to the Blockhouse.  I went down there and strolled around and took some photos. The lake looked pretty today. I could look across and see Fort Loudon.   I was glad I could at last say I'd taken time to come see this spot, but I did not find it too exciting.   It is historically important, but I just can't work up much enthusiasm for it.  Below is a view of Ft. Loudon across the water

Above: a view of Tellico Lake  looking south

Above and below: the excavations at Tellico Blockhouse
I liked the brick here. 
Flag flies high above the fort. 
Circular stone water well 
Me taking a photo down the well

Above: the layout of the fort
Above: interpretive sign regarding the blockhouse


    I did not linger here because as said it wasn't real exciting.  
Instead I headed back out to Hwy 411 crossing the lake and turning left into the marina.   Once there I drove as far down as I could and parked. I got out and walked toward the lake along an access road. I was heading in the direction of the current day Hwy 411 bridge.   I got to the last set of slips at the marina and could see it there in the water... the former 411 bridge sticking out of the lake.  
  Gary Free's comments regarding his youth camping under the old bridge and visits to the area helped me finally figure out where it was.   I'd been looking for it off and on.  I started looking a bit more earnestly in October of 2020.

      Below: this is as close as I could get to the bridge today. 

I think this was my favorite shot. The pier used to go out to it but now it has rotted.
Above: access road I walked to reach the vantage of the old bridge
From this angle you can see that a chunk of the railing is gone. 

The old bridge looks odd just coming up out of the lake like a subway tunnel.

Above: first glimpse I got of the old bridge from the last set of slips.

   I had a fun day and knocked out a great many things from my wish list. I got some lungsful of fresh air, lots of vitamin D from the sun, lots of feel good hormones in my brain from the exercise and sun.   What a glorious day this was!

I now have only four things on my wish list for this area:

  • Vonore Heritage Museum
  • Fort Loudon
  • McGhee Carson Place
  • Sequoyah's Birthplace

   I wrapped up my days adventures and headed back home.   I felt so relaxed.
I wrapped up in blankets in the living room sunshine and took a nap for a little while.  Looking forward to Spring with longer days, more sun, and milder temperatures!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝