Thursday, May 13, 2021

Foothills Parkway Wildflowers 2021

 

Trillium luteum growing along Old Walland Highway


Foothills Parkway Wildflowers 2021


Thursday April 22, 2021

Dana Koogler solo

  I took my final covid vaccine on Wednesday April 21.   I got along great with the first one having no problems whatsoever.   I had heard from folks who took the second one that they did not feel good.  I made sure I had no plans for the days following that second one.  I wanted to be able to just rest and take care of myself if I felt poorly.   I took it and Thursday felt great so I wanted to get out and do something.   I spent the first half the day getting household tasks done.  Once those were finished and lunch over with I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get outside.  I grabbed my camera, some water, and my hiking boots and set out for parts unknown.

       I had passed a really pretty spot with wildflowers along Old Walland Highway a few weeks back.  I determined I would go back to see what else might be in bloom there.  I just had a feeling about all those limestone rocks.
I believed they might be a good spot for unusual wildflowers.

    I noticed a sign at the intersection of East Millers Cove Road and Old Walland Highway indicating the Old Walland Highway was closed in 3.2 miles.   I knew the spot I was heading for was well before that so I headed in that direction anyhow.   I did not need to drive the road further today so I did not learn until Mothers Day that the reason for the closure was a landslide/rock slide.    

       I found the spot and parked.  I could tell that while there were still some pretty wildflowers many of them were past peak and we were heading into the doldrums at this elevation.   
A really pretty yellow trillium along Old Walland Highway
Above:  close up of stone crop in bloom
Below:  a large cluster of stone crop growing on some of those limestone boulders. 

Above:  close up of purple phacelia
Below: I saw a lot of purple phacelia in bloom still.

  The grass around this spot was rather high so I was on constant alert for No Feet.  They are out now for sure.  I never did see any and that was okay by me.



Above: Purple phlox was still in bloom and smelled great!

Pretty pink daisy fleabane was in bloom 
I looked around me and saw lots of small white flowers.  
I found prairie larkspur in bloom. It is gorgeous! This was a new flower for me. 
phlox, yellow trilliums and prairie larkspur were thick! 
a grouping of yellow trillium and phlox


Above and below: I took lots of photos of the various specimens of prairie larkspur.  The last one is the most pure white of all that I examined. 


I saw one plant of dwarf larkspur.  

    I enjoyed sitting down in the leaves and grass and forgot all about being worried over snakes while I was taking wildflower photos.  I was very pleased at having been right in my thoughts regarding this spot.   Those limestone rocks are good for many types of flowers. You never can tell what you will find.

     I headed on toward Townsend as I had some stuff I needed to get from the Dollar General.  I got there only to find a bronco convention. Too many broncos to count!! I had to sit in traffic on the road just to go as far as Dollar General and get turned in.   My errand did not take long and I was able to head away from Townsend and the madness there.   I decided the best thing for me to do was head away from the direction they were going.   I thought fast what could I do that would be fun.  I considered riding up on Mount Luke to get some photos. I had seen some pretty flowers up there a couple Springs back.   I just didn't think it was a good option today.  Instead I headed back toward Walland.  Then it hit me .. I had never been out the new section of Foothills Parkway looking for spring wildflowers!  That would be perfect.  

            I went out the new section first.  I actually have hiked out it a mile or so and explored some of the side paths for Spring flowers when it was still closed. 
I did not find much.   Maybe today would be better?  

        The views alone were worth the trip today since it was so beautifully clear and crisp.   

My favorite view from the new section of the parkway above


Below a view toward the west


Looking down at a shed that you cannot see from the main road!  Never noticed this before!




Above: birdsfoot violet was seen in multiple spots along the Parkway


Another stunning view looking toward Wears Valley and Townsend
Christmas ferns were thick in the woods along with wild geranium.. the little purple flowers. 
above --close up view of wild oats

Below...the larger cluster of wild oats

bishops cap close up

Below: sweet white trillium

Foam flower above
Toothwort
a large patch of fire pinks near a bridge
zoomed in on the fire pinks
Below ... fiddleheads on ferns

   It is worth mentioning that the waterfall on Foothills Parkway had the least amount of water I've ever seen on it! It was a bare trickle.  I was surprised.  We need rain!  I took my time and really enjoyed exploring this part of the roadway for flowers.  Being up higher I still saw a good many.  I did not want to head any further toward Wears Valley lest I encounter the bronco swarm again. 

     I had such a good time on the new section of Foothills Parkway I wasn't ready to go home yet.  I wanted to drive the other side out past Look Rock and go toward Chilogatee Gap.   I figured what else was there to do?  I only saw one bronco the entire time I was on the parkway and that was on the section from Walland to the Dragon.     He must have liked broncos, but not crowds! My kinda guy. 

I came upon this little knoll and a nice clump of fire pinks.  I was hunting for lily of the valley. I found it along here a few years back, but today I failed to locate it. I know of other spots, but I was not as committed to hunting it today.  I did not put myself through the full paces to find it. 
Blue violet near the fire pinks.
close up of fire pinks. 
Ebony spleenwort growing near the fire pinks.  this is the cutest fern.
above and below... a look at some solomon's seal in bloom.

A view from near Emerine Gap to the east
And below... a view from Emerine Gap to the west...toward the house.

Above:  motorcycle and side car 

    I got tickled while I was photographing the views at Emerine Gap.
I stood waiting patiently to cross the highway to get a photo of the view toward Maryville.  A rider came by on a motorcycle with a side car.  I burst out laughing at him.  Well, sort of.  Not so much at him, but at an inside joke between Kenny and I.  He tells me periodically that when he retires he's going to get another motorcycle.  I am not a motorcycle fan.   I tell him go ahead, but to get him another wife too because I'm not going on that bike with him.  They make my back hurt.
He aggravates me by telling me I AM SO going on that bike with him. He says I'll get a side car and tie you up and put you in there so you'll have to go!  We like to bicker over stupid stuff like that.  We both end up getting so tickled we laugh til we can't make a sound.  

     
A little further along the parkway I spotted the prettiest deep pinxter azalea.  Above and below are two different looks at it. 

Looking down over the mountain at this spot at the dogwood blooms

Another view toward the West from a different spot.


         I headed on down the road past Look Rock and toward Chilogatee Gap. 
I pulled over to park and got out and hiked into the woods.  I began seeing catesbys trilliums almost immediately. 

Catesbys trillium
Looking up toward Chilogatee Gap 
Carolina pinks 
Yellow star grass
another pretty catesbys trillium in pink and white

Chilogatee Branch.  I got to this spot and crossed and continued hiking. 

A nice cluster of catesbys trilliums along the creek.

     I had a nice leg stretcher hike and finally as the sun began to dip lower on the horizon I turned and went back toward the jeep.   I was tickled that I got out and saw some  pretty wildflowers today. I was thrilled that I got along great and had no problems from my final covid vaccine.   

    I feel blessed to live near such a beautiful drive as Foothills Parkway.
I continue to find neat things up here. Great views, waterfalls and wildflowers.
It is a fine spot to get away from it all without driving far from home.  


 



2 comments:

  1. I love this. This is one of my favorite places to go. Thank you for sharing this with me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so. I am glad you liked it. I appreciate you reading and commenting. Very nice.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝