Thursday, October 13, 2022

Jarvis Park




New York Ironweed
 

Jarvis Park 


Sunday Sept 11,2022

Kenny, Dana, Gabe & Mia Koogler

Crystal, Michael and Tessa Lindsey

Pix are HERE




Jarvis Park Map and Info from Foothills Conservancy


  I'm not sure if anyone knows it, but I am a digital hoarder.  I am good about keeping my physical space in my home cleaned out.  I donate things or recyle them regularly.   The online version of me that deals with cyberspace is 180° removed from that.  My google maps looks like it is shot full of bullet holes from all the stars and flags I've added.  My computer browser is laden with bookmarks.  It's pretty bad when you cannot even remember why you kept a website.  Where was my train of thought going when I saved this? >derailment<🚂

Despite all my hoarding of bookmarks and ideas and inspirations... I found myself spending a fair amount of time this Summer wishing for someplace close and safe where I could take the kids to play in the creek?  

    I am not sure what brought it back round to me, but I found Jarvis Park saved online amongst that dumpster fire.   I was delighted!  We had a nice afternoon and we took Gabe & Mia over there with a bucket, some nets, snacks, and toy boats to play in the creek. 

       It is close being about eight miles from home.  We arrived to find only one other family there.  

Above: welcome sign to Jarvis Park.

   The history of the place is that the land was donated for the purpose of public enjoyment by Dr. Craig Jarvis.  It was an extremely nice gift at that and I for one, thank him!   It conserves a nice chunk of green space with walking paths, a spring, creeks and some huge old growth trees!  The photos I had seen on Google with the map were lovely!  

above is a photo of the map.  The park is oblong with the parking area against Court Street. It is a rough oval shaped with the stream flowing along the back side of it.  It is divided into two loops north and south with a bridle path cutting across either loop.   If you hiked every single trail there it would take you about 30 minutes tops and would equal about a mile.   
There are no restrooms at the park.  
It  has one picnic table to the side of the parking area along with a trash bin and a doggy clean up station.  Benches have been situated in several areas of the park around the loop.  There is one additional picnic table in a shady spot near the center of the park.    
     
 Below: picnic table and trash bin to the side of the parking lot. Nice and shady. \The map of the park is right here so you can decide which way you want to go. 

     Below is an image of the doggy clean up station reminding you to clear your mines! 💩 (Especially when all those Autumn leaves are falling down)

Below: a photo of the picnic spot in the center of the park.  


  This trip report and its photos are the results of two trips. The first one in late September and the second one this week.  I wanted to gather adequate information before trying to write up a report.   I wanted to be able to include directions, and know what I was talking about. 

       Trip number one we had a twenty-three month old firecracker of a granddaughter along and her six year old brother.  Mia and Gabe trotted down the hill straight ahead like they had been here before.  The other family who had gotten out of their vehicle just ahead of us took a left hand turn and started around the south loop.  The middle path that bisects the park is wide, easy to distinguish and heads directly for the creek and the other picnic area.  A little bridge fords the stream here. 


Above: Papaw Kenny, Mia, and Gabe checking out the creek.


   Those familiar with our area would easily draw a parallel between Jarvis Park and Maryville College Woods.   They are similar in the type of trees and vegetation you find.  The little streams and springs here are also similar.   Another thing an observant naturalist would take note of?  The place has been disturbed by human occupation in the past.   Lots and lots of invasive, introduced species to be seen.

I saw on the map on my second visit that the Duncan homeplace was on the back side of the north loop across from the creek.  That is where the ivy was thickest. Now I know why.

The forest floor is covered in places by English ivy which back in the day was  in fashion.  I tried planting that on our cottage style house.

It tried to take over the house and consequently I had to help Kenny eradicate it before he eradicated me!  It is bad for the ecosystems around it. It is destructive to the physical structure of the house. It eats into the brick.  It also will eventually swallow nearby shrubs. It even grew onto the window screens of Jared's bedroom.

I wondered when I saw this if there were any plans in the future to try to cleanse the forest of this pest? 

    Below: a photo of a nice spot along Duncan Branch. Notice anything about the vegetation? 


      

  Below: I have circled the English ivy in red pen.  It is not real bad here, but there are other spots where it is thick as hair on a dog's back.


     


  Above: Mimi and Gabe play in the creek with a little yellow boat. They are wearing their water shoes.  Always good to avoid stepping on sharp objects.

Mimi is delighted.  Whatever she does... she does with great gusto!


Above and below :looking at the creek bed of Duncan Branch it is littered with tiny freshwater mussel shells.  This is a sign of a healthy stream!

Below: cardinal flower was in bloom in several spots along the creek bank


Above: Gabe has taken off his shirt and is considering putting his butt in the creek.

Below: no matter how many toys we take to the creek, you always have to play Barky Boats!  

Below: Kids always find sticks and rocks and things in nature they are way more interested in than any man-made objects.  I'm not sure what Mia was doing here, but it was militaristic and she came after me!  She can be a savage.


Above:  You can see Gabe's chocolate swirl on his leg. Mia looks like she has pooped her pants from sitting in the mud. 


Above: These are the days that we will remember.  They are like treasures to me. I remember MY grandparents taking me to do things like this. I hold those memories dear for I know they helped make me the person I am today.  The nature lover I am and will always be.
Below: I have assisted Mia to the log.  She is not to be so easily outdone by Bubba.  Look at that determination and focus!  


Below is a video of the kids playing in the creek



  We played in the creek and explored. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon. It was so cool and shady here.  I waded the stream with the children.  Finally I walked over to the picnic table to sit with Kenny and talk.  He had his phone along and informed me that our daughter and two other grandkids were on their way!

Before I knew it Michael and Tessa and Crystal arrived. Below: Tessa talking to Mimi. Crystal looks tired. 



Below: Kenny's and my daughter, Crystal.  Tessa is trying to get a smooch from Mimi who is having none of it.  Funny, since Tessa has always been the same way. "You will love on me when I say it is ok! "

Below: grandson Michael age 13.  I can remember taking him hiking toting him on my back with a pacifier.  I remember him playing in the creek wearing a swim diaper. Where does the time go?  Now he is a 7th grader and in the Heritage High School marching band playing saxophone!  They had just won a Battle of the Bands the day before in Crossville! Way to go! 
below:  Michael called to me to come look.. they had found a little snake.  It was a tiny, very docile garter snake in the creek.  It was totally unconcerned with these kids.  It slithered off to the opposite side of the stream when it was ready. The kids were tickled pink to get to see it.  They all like snakes especially Tessa who holds boa constrictors, pythons, and any non venomous snake.

   We sat at the picnic table sipping cold water and chatting. It was decided that we would wrap things up here and head to town to get ice cream.  We would then ride over to see Crystal and Adam's newly purchased home on Nebo Mountain.  I was eager to check it out.    We had been there more than an hour, but getting Mia out of the creek was going to take some doing.  

Below: The look on Gabe's face when he realized I was about to make them get out of the creek.  He knows the wrasslin' match that will ensue trying to get sister to comply.


Below: Step 1.. Mia we need to get ready to go now


Below: Step 2. I don't think so, Nanny. (where does she get the 'tude)


Below: Step 3 -- Flight! She takes off running from me across the bridge. Look at that dirty booty.




Below: She is across the bridge like a split streak and rounding the bend running from me.





Below: Step 4-- Enlist the help of Michael. She currently thinks the sun rises and sets on  him and is always asking for him. 




At last we had Mia in hand and got to leave the park on that first day.
I was thinking it would be long after dark until she'd be ready to go were it not for Michael.   The entire visit of over an hour we probably saw eight to ten people walking their dogs.  It was a very nice day and we made it over to Nebo Mountain to see the new house. 

       Monday I went back to take an exercise walk and learn more about the place.  
I saw only one other car in the parking lot when I arrived.  
Below: I starting hiking the whole loop clockwise.  Pretty Fall colors.

Below: looking up at one of the huge old growth oaks. I think this one is Ole Mrs. Cornett


Above: another vista along the path. The creek is on the left and that oak tree is massive!

Below: I hiked one of the bridle paths today and spotted this flash of gold in the tree canopy.
  

Below: as I completed my loop and got nearer the parking lot I looked up and saw Great Grandfather Duncan. Another huge oak tree.



  It took me twenty minutes to hike the entire park and that was stopping to snap pictures here and there.   By the time I got back to the jeep there were three or four other vehicles in the lot.   I am delighted to have this pretty place to walk, and a close place for the kids to play in a shallow creek.  It is easier for me to manage them this way especially when I am by myself.  Come check it out with your family. It is one of Maryville's hidden gems.

   Directions to Jarvis Park:

From the intersection of Hwy 321 and Court Street in Maryville-- turn onto Court Street and drive 1.30 miles to the park which is well signed on the right.  The trails here are well marked and maintained.  



Below is a super short video of the leaves falling down 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting that on my radar, Dana. I now have a new place to visit on my lunch breaks, should I ever get one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝