Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Gobey Wildflower Camping Trip Day 4 thru 6



Above: Nodding mandarin at Frozen Head State Park


Gobey Wildflower Camping Trip Day 4 thru 6

Tuesday April 18, 2023

Dana Koogler solo



   I woke on Tuesday and decided to give Frozen Head another try.   I would go and do some more hiking there.  I had my doubts about it since  the lower elevations the flowers were beginning to be quite faded.  I hoped against hope that I'd see some and get to enjoy them.  I went on over that morning with my lunch packed and hiked.  My plan was to  hike Judge Branch to South Old Mac onward to the intersection with Chimney Tops Trail, come down Spicewood and close my loop back at the parking area.  It would give me a chance to see some new territory.  I saw few others in the parking area.    

   I set off and the trail to begin with is very wide and flat and the uphill grade is barely perceptible.    It was pretty enough, but the creeks weren't running too great.  I was steadily seeing spent blooms on trilliums.  Dried brown husks or wilted petals that were sheer.   I hoped as I climbed higher in elevation I'd see more bloom, but that was not the case.  It was then I pulled out the guidebook and did what I should have done ahead of time.   Apparently these trails are better ones to do for early bloom.  The trail is sheltered and gets the right type sun and temperatures for things to open up in mid to late March.   No wonder I wasn't seeing much.  

    It was discouraging to say the least.    I tried to make the best of it, but by the time I got part way up South Old Mac and things weren't improving at all I decided enough was enough. 
I turned and headed back down South Old Mac.  I did a loop hike, but it was very abbreviated by comparison.    
Above:  Wilted trillium blossom
Below: Wild geranium along Judge Branch Trail

Above: Ford of Judge Branch to continue 
Below: Pretty cascade where the trail comes down to make a turn and ford

Above: Un-named side stream flowing toward the Judge Branch Trail
Below: smooth yellow violet 
Below: I saw a few foam flowers still in bloom today
Below: Rattlesnake fern

Above:  Judge Branch Trail in the sunshine



Below: Dwarf Crested Iris past peak bloom


Below: I saw a "Gobey Gold" sweet betsy trillium at Frozen Head! 

Below: Lots of fresh dwarf crested iris still in bloom on South Old Mac trail



Below: Two Flowered Cynthia in bloom South Old Mac

Above: Yellow Star grass South Old Mac

Below: A pretty spot along South Old Mac Trail banks loaded with soft green ferns



Above: I saw a few Little Brown Jugs in bloom on South Old Mac
Below: Cumberland Spurge South Old Mac

Above:  A bad place in the trail on South Old Mac. It was this way the last time I hiked it years ago. Nothing has been done to remove it apparently! 
Above and below are views of the old CCC era dynamite shack 

Above:  South Old Mac Trail in one of the smoother, better maintained spots
Below: Blue violet was in bloom on both trails today



  I concluded my hike and headed back toward Wartburg. It was early enough I wasn't even ready for lunch yet.   I stopped by what looked like the better grocery store in Wartburg, the Darnell Food Market.   I got a few items and checked out their store. It was pretty good for a small town store. 

I went by Hammers Dry Goods and found nothing of interest.  I just went on back to the camper to figure out my next move.  


      After lunch I decided to try hiking again.  I'd head toward the Obed River and see Lily Bluff and Melton Mill Falls.   I drove round that way and it seemed like it took me longer to arrive than it should have.  It has been too long since I did any hiking in this area.   I found it without any problems, but it was clear to me that my memory of the place was inaccurate.   It didn't make any difference. I hiked out to the overlook and enjoyed it.  The day was sunny and  beautiful.  I could see Clear Creek  down there flowing by.    I saw stitchwort among the rocks at the overlook.    I did not see many flowers here.   While the view was nice it was not a thrilling experience. 

Below:  View from Lily Bluff 

Below:  view of Lily Bridge from the overlook


Below:  Clear Fork viewed from the overlook.  

Above: Stitchwort is tiny white flowers on the rocks at the overlook

    Below is a video of the overlook experience



  Once I had hiked back to the jeep from the overlook, I hiked the unofficial trail to Melton Mill Falls.  
I wanted to see the upper falls first then the lower. I got to the point where I'd need to pick my way among the rhodo and boulders to reach the upper falls.  I spotted a pattern on the ground that gave me immediate cause for concern.  Baby rattlesnakes! Lots of them. I've never seen baby rattlers before! 
 I was unable to safely walk through there without risking a bite.  Too many of them in too many places.    I decided the best thing to do was let them have the upper falls and see if I couldn't visit the lower one.    I felt like the objective was to live to tell the tale and come back again another day.   
I managed to make it to a good view of the lower falls. It was quite pretty.  

Below:  a view of Lower Melton Mill Falls
Below: The forest above the falls was beautiful.  A mixture of sun and bright green leaves and deep green and gloom! 


Below is a video of Lower Melton Mill Falls 




 I made my way back to the camper.  I had filled up the day and was ready to rest. 
I was discouraged a little at the way this trip was not really meeting my expectations and hopes.
I had wanted to hike more trails at Frozen Head and in the area.   I really wasn't seeing much that impressed or motivated me.  I decided that this was why it was good that I was close to home.  I would head back early and find something else to do.   I woke in the morning and put things in the camper in order.   I set out toward Oak Ridge.  I stopped in at Erin's Meadow Herb Farm and shopped. I bought lots of herbs for redoing my herb garden out back.  It had been way too long since I was at this place. I always enjoy it.  I got home and put away the few things I needed to. I had the rest of the evening to dig in the dirt and that was good for me.    I had the satisfaction of seeing my little herb garden looking healthy and ready to take off.  I companion planted a lot of herbs with flowers.  This is to discourage insect pests and to take advantage of the available space.    It is good to be able to walk out into the back yard and snip some sprigs of thyme from my hanging baskets to cook with!

       




Above: Hanging basket with thyme in there to one side. 
Below: herb garden redone



  Now that I was home I just got my kiddos back and took Gabe back and forth to school.  I let him and Mia get out with me and dig in the dirt. They planted herbs, flowers and seeds in the evenings.  We all had family dinners together. Papaw was working out of town, but I did not have time to be lonely.  Jared & Lydia were there too.   I took Gabe to feeding therapy on Thursday afternoon. 


   Kenny got back in town Friday morning or late Thursday night. I can't recall exactly when.  The plan all along was to take the children back out to the camper to spend a night before we brought it home.  We went out there and cooked supper and they spent Friday evening playing in the creek until it got too dark to see.    Much better than watching cartoons or movies.   Much better than playing video games. 

   They were happy, tired and dirty.  We put Mia on the tailgate to change her into a dry diaper before going back to the camper.   Lo and behold.... she had gotten excited playing in the creek and pooped!    Kenny with his directive personality wanted to give me the step by step instructions how to change her.  I was ready to pinch his head off.   It is a good thing I have a sense of humor. I looked at him as I was wrangling this chunky toddler with a booty full of poop near my face... and said "Anytime you want to jump in here and DO this as opposed to DIRECTING this feel free!?!"  

   He ducked his head down a bit sheepishly.   



The kids were asking to go to bed once we got back to the camper and they got dry and warm.  
We had a good finish to our trip and  they helped  us pack up and go home the next day.  Back home. Back to church on Sunday. Back to our routine.   It was a good trip.   
Just the same I need to go someplace different next year.   REALLY different. 

   I have my mind on Manchester/Tullahoma area.   
Either that or the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC.  

 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝