Sunday, July 9, 2023

Memorial Day Weekend in Virginia

above: Mom's rose campion in bloom


Memorial Day Weekend in Virginia


May 26 through 29, 2023

Kenny & Dana Koogler
Jared, Lydia, Gabe and Mia Koogler
Adam, Crystal, Michael and Tessa Lindsey
Earline and John Watson
Valerie Graham 
Richard and Irene Bradley
Emily Bryant
Hunter, Shannon & McKenna Bryant
Melvin & Jean Glass
Gerald Boyne Jr. 

later on 
Brian & Erica Thomas
Cody Thomas and Katherine Lotts
Lily Thomas



   We had been trying like crazy to plan a camping trip over Memorial Day Weekend. 
I was homesick really bad wanting to go back and see my parental units & siblings.
One day I got to talking to my son in law Adam and he indicated to me that he was over trying to find campsites here and there and getting turned down.   He said "Let's just go to Virginia!" 
It was an answer to prayer.   It took us awhile to figure out how we were going to pull it off, but we ended up taking the campers and staying in my folks yard!  The yard there is like a park. 
It is beautiful and spacious.      We took generators. They filled the holding tanks with water.
We planned to stop at Love's Truck Stop on the way home to empty the septic holding tanks.


          We arrived on Friday afternoon and got set up.  It was a pretty day with perfect weather.  It was about seventy degrees and sunny.   We all had dinner together that night and had a campfire in the yard.    We had a fire every night I believe.   We had planned a big get together for Saturday evening.   It was going to be fun.    We did some shopping for groceries on Saturday. I made an Ollie's run and got me some glazed pottery for at home and a gardening wand hose attachment.    

      


Above and below: Some of Mom's flowers





Below:  Mom's rose campion. It is so pretty. This is an old timey flower




Above: massive purple clematis Mom grew. 




Above: the lawn. I remember when they planted these river birch trees.











Above: Grandson Michael age 14, Daughter Crystal, Granddaughter Tessa age 9, son in law Adam. 
Below:  Shannon and McKenna, Lydia and Mia, Nana Irene
Below: Michael, Tessa and Gabe hamming it up. 

Above: Uncle Biff and Mimi share a special bond.  They have the same birthday!  We'll celebrate it at the beach again this October! 


Below: My grandniece McKenna. 


Above: trying to get everyone gathered for a group photo. 
Shannon, McKenna, my sister Valerie, cousin Gerald  Nana , My mom, Lydia, Crystal and Tessa


Below: Same group but now Jared is holding Mia and she is yelling. Gabe is hugged up to his Dad

Above: Shannon, my nephew Hunter, McKenna, sister Valerie, and cousin Junior. 




Above: see the little red barn in the background!  Lots of chickens, ducks and cats and one dog! 


Below: our camper



Below: Adam & Crystal's camper


Above: Everybone eating, visiting and having a good time.  I see my step dad, Jean and Melvin, Adam, Emily, McKenna, Jared, Shannon and Hunter. 
Above:  My step mom Irene  sitting
Above: Step dad John, Jean Glass, Adam, My daddy Dickie, Melvin Glass, Emily holding McKenna, Michael and Jared




Above: my sweet beautiful sister Valerie
Daughter in law Lydia and granddaughter Mia


Above: Jean Glass with her arm in a sling, Step Dad John beside her, cousin Junior, Melvin Glass seated, grandson Michael walking by
Above: Gabe, John, Junior, Melvin and Michael
Below: Gabe. The kids wanted it to be swimming weather in Virginia. We weren't there quite yet! 

Above; Shannon, Hunter, McKenna Val 
Above: Hunter, my nephew, niece Emily, Val, and McKenna. Jean Glass
Jean, Dad, Junior










  It was a blessing to see my grandchildren and niece running around the yard barefoot, swimming in the kiddie pool, playing with toys, messing with the chickens and ducks. This was the kind of country childhood I had.  I grew up in a house right across the road. 

    We all  had a good time.  It is a blessing to have a family that not only loves one another, but genuinely enjoys one another's company.   We lost Uncle Bill February 2022, but gained his best buddy Melvin Glass into the bargain. I met Melvin while up for the funeral and helping mom with some of the sorting through things.   We have remained friends. I finally got to meet his lovely wife Jean.  So though I miss my Uncle and my Aunt... Mike.  I have friends and good ones... who knew them and are a source of cheer and comfort. 

   My cousin Gerald Boyne Jr. and my husband Kenny really hit it off. They are both manly men and have lots in common. Junior is smart as a tack.   He is kind, good looking and fun.  I am very proud of the man he has turned out to be.  I remember him as a cute, funny little boy.  We had some lively times.

   I walked the property over and saw how they've cleaned up parts of it. It is good sized place.  It belonged to my great grandparents.  Ernest and Mary Betty Caricofe.   There is a nice spring down the hill.   There are woods.  


          Saturday afternoon we went to Gypsy Hill Park to all ride the mini train.  
It was one I loved to ride when I was a child. I then took my kids to enjoy it. Now I am a grandma and my grandkids are enjoying it!  It is a beautiful park in downtown Staunton.   











Above photos of the Gypsy Hill Express 



   Sunday we went to my youngest sister's house for lunch.   Erica and Brian live in Rockbridge Baths, Virginia.   It is a pretty little community about fifteen miles from where I lived on our farm in Virginia.
There are lots of little places there that have names like Moffatts Creek, Zack, Walker's Creek, Newport, etc.    We had a great meal and got to enjoy a nice long visit.   It was good to be together.


  My brother in law Brian is a marine. I won't say retired because once a marine, always a marine.  He was in Somalia.  He is the prime example of Generation X when they say "Fuck around and find out". Erica had him tell us what happened to him on the way to his doctor appointment.  He has had migraine headaches. They are debilitating.  He had been in bed all week sick.  He was on his way to the doc to get an IV infusion that helps relieve these headaches.  He stopped to put gas in his truck.  He was standing there making pleasant conversation with an elderly lady.   A young buck whips in and tells him "You're in my spot!". Brian looks around unsure if the guy is for real and is talking to him?  The young whipper snapper keeps on pressing.  Brian simply told him "You don't want to do this. If you make it past the front of my truck I'm not responsible for what happens next."  The guy comes at him and Brian punches him square in the nose and has him down on the ground with his knee in the guy's chest. All the while handing him paper towels for his bloody nose.  

    The law was called.   The police rolled in. He thinks Oh shit!  He need not have worried. The service station attendant told them to come in and see the video.   They did. Then the ALL had to go check it out even the one taking the report.  The cops were amazed.  They told young and dumb guy he could either leave with them or they'd leave him there with Brian.  He left with the law.  Ended up having reconstructive surgery on his broken nose.   Too bad they can't fix stupid. 
The cops told him he was the dumbest person they ever met.   Pick a former Marine to try to start a fight with. It was over before it even started.  Meanwhile Brian is telling them "I got to go. I'm going to be late for my IV infusion for my migraines."    He is a bad ass even in middle age.
My sister says he ought not be carrying on like that at his age, but we think he rocks!

           We all had a great time on this trip.   It was such a hit we were already plotting when we come return on the drive home!   We traveled without any problems. There was a multi vehicle crash on I 81 North, but we were southbound.   Thank the Lord for traveling mercies! 
 
Below: Left to Right nephew Joshua, sister Erica, nephew Cody, niece Lily, brother in law Brian. Don't let him fool ya.  He may look like Dad Bod but he will get your killin' done!




Funniest thing all weekend was hearing my baby sister tell that she was going to make her a sign for in the car that says "Don't shoot ME because HE is an asshole!" Apparently our husbands both have a road rage problem!  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝