Saturday, July 8, 2023

Panama City Beach Vacation Spring 2023

 

above:  a cluster of buttonbush blooms at Saint Andrews State Park 



Panama City Beach Vacation Spring 2023


May 15 through 20 2023

Kenny & Dana Koogler 



  During the month of February Kenny told me he wanted for just the two of us to return to Panama City Beach in Spring.   He felt we needed to take a vacation trip just us as a couple.   I readily agreed and he booked the trip for the only time he could get it during the month of May.  It was about a week before school let out in Blount County.    It did not matter about school since we weren't including the kids this trip.  We had already booked our Fall Break trip 2023 for Sept. 30 for a week.  That trip was Whole Fam Damily so yay!    

         We left out on a Saturday morning early.   We knew the drive would be long, but not as long since the fewer people who have to take bathroom breaks, eat and have their needs met the faster you travel.
I have gotten to do better on long trips, but I still struggle to stay still.   I got in the back and lay down and napped part of the time making the trip seem shorter for me.     It was pleasant enough.  We avoided the pitfalls of last October.  We managed to stay on interstate and avoid secondary roads as much as possible this go round.   The secondary roads make for slow speeds and are inconvenient.  It is hard to find fuel stops, food, and such with a fifth wheel camper in tow.  

       I read and played games and drew.  I knew I risked car sickness, but I chanced it and got by with it.
We were both excited and so Saturday went by quickly.  We got to Raccoon River Campground and checked in.  We made ourselves run on over to the super Wal-mart at PCB.   I hate going to Walmart, but we knocked it out fast.   It was a grocery run and a comparatively quick one since it was just the two of us.   

      We went to The Shrimp Basket for dinner and was it ever good!  It is two blocks from the campground.   We went for an evening walk on the beach and enjoyed the exercise.   We did not have time for much else Saturday.    


   Sunday was Mother's Day.   I started off alright, but as the day went on I became sad.  I struggled and cried off and on all day.  It was my very first trip to the beach without the children EVER.  I mean never in our lives had we taken a beach trip without our babies or grandbabies.   We did not know what to do with ourselves.    Kenny was very patient with me.   He misses the kids too so he gets it.   He worked hard at cheering me up.    I really tried hard to feel better.   I could see we truly needed this trip to learn how to be US again.  Being back to the Mamahood for round two is a blessing and a curse.   It cuts both ways.   

      Sunday we tried to go to Santa Rosa Beach to the Farmers Market.  We won't make that mistake again.   It is a tangled mess of cars, bikes, pedestrians, snooty area residents and confused vacationers.
We did go back to check out a toy store in that area at a later time which was also a waste of time. Parking is hard to find.  Still snooty residents and confused vacationers and overpriced doesn't even begin to describe it.   

         We headed to Conservation Park.  I thought maybe taking a walk there would be fun.  Maybe we'd see some new orchids or plants?   We arrived and it was hot as Hades and humid.   It looked boring and the same as last October.  I snapped a few photos of some spiral ladies tresses, but this wasn't the cure for what ailed me.    We headed back toward town and had some mediocre barbecue at a place called Backyard BBQ.      We went for a little retail therapy at Bealls.   I did find some cute shorts and a top. I found some new shades which I actually needed.    I got some art supplies and tried painting. 
It was therapeutic and finally helped right my psychological gyroscopics.  I also had Duma Key with me and read this. It is my favorite Stephen King book ever.  I read it for the third or fourth time.  An artist painting in Florida is the main character.  It seemed appropriate for the mood I was in. He is trying to come to grips with what life has dealt him.  It has helped divert my attention and somehow heal me more than once. 

  




Above: Spiral ladies tresses
Below: Maryland Meadow Beauty 
Below: Pine savanna at Conservation Park.  

Above: yellow wood sorrel
Below: Fog Fruit
Below: Daisy Fleabanelatris

Above: rare liatris species.. a type of Blazing Star Liatris gholsonii
Above: Rudbeckia species.  
        
   Below: Paraglider on the way home
Below: Finished paintings I kept for myself and our bedroom. I switch over to Summer decor/beachy stuff in hot weather. 

Above:  Panama City Beach at Sunset with sailboats.  


Below:  I was working from a photo I found online of a Florida Island along the Emerald Coast taken at night.  It was of the bioluminescent surf.   I did not like it at first, but now I do. Sometimes I have to sit with things a bit and come back to them.  I just saw a painting on canvas I did and took a photo of. I decided after a couple years I did not like it and gave it away.  Now I wish I hadn't done that! 
Below: Acrylic painting experiment of my granddaughter Tessa from an actual photograph of her.  
I was experimenting with metallic acrylics and techniques that render them to look like water color. I really like how it turned out. I painted all these on acrylic media paper.    I wanted them on canvas so I just got my nerve up and continued the painting techniques onto canvas once back home in TN.  I added tiny shells and some sand I picked up for embellishment. 


   Monday 


  Monday after breakfast we drove down the road to Panama City to Tanya's Garden. It is a roadside stand that is very large and has loads of great shrubbery, flowers, local jams and jellies, juice, honey, bee pollen, freshest of the season fruits and veggies.  She is a delight.  Her place can't be beaten!  Her sweet sunny personality and her big German Shepherd dog Hank were a bright spot in my day.   I found my favorite jelly... Mayhaw! It is made from hawthorne berries like the ones that grow up on Whigg Meadow.   It is a pretty pink jelly with a nice tart flavor.  I don't like real sweet jellies and jams.    We found so many nice things.  The best cantaloupe of the season. Yellow squash.  Tomatoes.  Peaches.    We ended up making a second trip before heading home.  Got another couple melons and some things for the road.  


            I was better, but still smarting over the no kids thing.  I know.   There is no making me happy.  It is hard changing gears between being grandmother and mama.    Kenny knew just what the remedy was.   We hit up several good looking thrift shops. Junking is one of my favorite pastimes and I've got the whole family hooked on it!  He knew that finding some cool clothing for the children would make me feel better.  He was right.  We hit up the Panama City Good Will. It was outstanding.   I came away with a mini bird feeder/bird bath.  A tiny basket for flowers.We hit up the local consignment store for childrens toys and clothing. Cindy's I think it was called.  It was excellent. We will definitely go back there and take everyone this October.  She has something for everyone!    We came out of there with a huge bag of kids clothing in like new condition.   Stuff Kenny picked out for Gabe I did not think he'd wear, but he fooled me!  He rocked out those Hawaiian print shorts like a  little Magnum P.I.  He loved them! Handsome little guy. We found Mimi several swim suits that were adorable.   

    We hit up one last thrift store today by the campground. It is a non profit that benefits storm and disaster relief. It is Save the Closet.  I saw something that broke my heart on their door.  A sticker saying "Safe Space" relating to the LGQTB community.  The older I get the more I think why should there have to be stickers indicating it is OK for you to come in here. You are welcome. We won't hurt you or run you off.  Every space should be a safe space for folks regardless of their gender identity or their sexuality.  Live and let live people.   Jesus did not condemn folks, but loved them and helped them become better.     I did not find anything in there for me, but Kenny got a brand new Panama Jack bathing trunks for $14. new with tag.  This is a $50 item retail price.  We will have to hit this up again in October.  Folks were lining out outside before the doors ever opened this morning. 


    We  cooked a good dinner and went to the pool and the beach.  It helped me get sorted out. Each day I could feel myself becoming more relaxed and learning who I am again. Learning who Kenny and I are as a couple.  This is going to take time.


   Below:  The beach across from the campground is absolute perfection.  


          

    We spent hours in the water both in the pool and in the Gulf.   I was in the water  just starting to think about finally getting out when I spotted something big and dark moving in the water.  

I saw a fin and initially hoped it was a dolphin.   We had seen some the previous day. 

It never did surface though to get a breath. I knew what it was. It was a darn big bull shark.

I got out quickly.    It is astounding how many people will rush INTO the water to get a close look at the shark as if it is a novelty.    A teen girl had just got bitten by a bull shark a few days earlier.  She had to fight it off with help from her mom.   



           We went back toward the campground and hopped in the other pool for awhile. 

We visited with a few other campground guests and had some interesting conversations.

    We grilled out tonight and enjoyed the evening breeze outside taking a walk.

      

Tuesday 


   We discussed what we wanted to do Tuesday.  We opted to check out

Eden's Gardens State Park. 

It is similar to Brookgreene Gardens in Myrtle Beach, SC.    It was not far from us.  We found it easily and it was uncrowded. 




Below:  Live oak lane. These ancient trees have such limbs that they grow down into the ground and back up again.  



Below: Ancient live oak tree with Spanish moss. 



Below: The Wesley House with the added fountain



Below: Another view of the Wesley House without the fountain in front of it

Above:  Picnic area near the bay


Below: Some of the statuary kids carrying a canoe


Above and below: The bay
Below: Pier out into the bay. Kenny out there looking at the water

Above: a different entrance to the Wesley House. We did not take the tour because they don't do them on Tuesdays.  Only certain days of the week.
Above and below: various azaleas in bloom

Above and below: a couple looks at the fountain and the flowers
Below: the bloom portion of a Nile Lily.  Southerners adopt hot weather adapted plants and flowers from all over. 
Below: patio picnic area near the house

Above and below: a couple formal walking paths in the lawn

Above: more statuary of southern children.  A koi pond. 

  We enjoyed Eden Garden's State Park. I'd love to go back during colder weather and see the camellias in bloom!  


   Next we hit up Angelina's Pizzeria and Pasta in Santa Rosa Beach for lunch. It was delicious. and uncrowded for lunch.  Their pasta was a bit too greasy for me.  Ease up on the olive oil.  

  We finally got to hit up Rays Rock and Mineral Shop. I wanted everything there.  I settled for a glazed flower pot which we paid too much for.   It was unique and I love it though.  I learned a lot from her.  I learned proper care of air plants so I am trying my hand at it again.  I'd had good luck then killed a couple.  Now I know what I was doing wrong. 

    We stopped on the way home at the Panama City Beach Goodwill and I found some great deals. I got a new outfit for lounge wear Brand new with tags.   I got some excellent Bath and Bodyworks candles brand new for $5.  I got a perfect picture frame for my bedroom in my color and style.   It hangs in my  bedroom now with photos of our four grandchildren. 

   We hit the pools some more and the beach.  We went to some surf shops after dinner.  I finally found something I wanted and got a deal on it. A super soft sweatshirt in a pretty design at Surfstyle.  I love it. I put it on when I come in out of the pool or ocean into the air conditioning and I'm chilled.  Kenny would not pick out anything so I picked for him. I got him a t shirt with a skull and cross bones on it that has a compass. It looks great on him and he likes it!





       Wednesday 

Saint Andrews  State Park


   We headed to Saint Andrews State Park to check it out.  We stopped by Camping World to get a replacement terlit seat.  The one in the camper was cheaply made and the sheering forces of any normal adult ass would threaten to sling you into the shower!    They had the exact one we needed in color and size and it is cadillac quality compared to the frisbee that was on there to start!  

         We arrived at the State Park and first drove around to see where everything was.  Once we had the lay of the land we went hiking while it was still cool.  It is a beautiful place. It is a bird sanctuary.  This is quintessential Florida.   Snowy egrets had their rookery across this big wetland pond.  They were whooping and dancing.  We saw a crane, a stork, and some other sort of bird I have yet to identify.  

We also saw lots of redwing blackbirds.   We did not see any snakes or alligators.  We saw a few turtles in the wetlands.   




Above:  Crane in the back right of this image. You can see it if enlarged to full sized. 
Below: Looking across the wetland pond.

Above: Across this pond the white dots are snowy egrets. 




Above: our hiking trail. It gives  you an eerie feeling wondering if there is going to be a gator around each bend.
Below: Spanish Moss in the trees


Another view of the hiking path
Below: sunny yellow flowers

Above: Egrets, storks, and cranes and a heron out in the wetlands
Below: This bird is a common gallinule. She had a whole bunch of babies!



  Once we got done hiking and exploring we checked out the camp store. It was ok. They had the basics. Nice clean restrooms at the visitor center and plenty of showers and places to change.  We put on our swimsuits and headed for the beach.   The beach wagon came in mighty handy.   We spent hours out there on the beach. I got a bit too much sun despite my sunscreen and rash guard.   I stayed in the water for hours.  I did not want to leave.  I loved this place.  Today made me see why folks move to Florida.   It was glorious.    I made friends with a lady who was there at the beach alone.   We gabbed and enjoyed one another's company.   She had a lot of excellent suggestions for things to do the next trip in October.    I was glad to have met her.    We picked up so many pretty shells today.  I went snorkeling, but I need a new snorkel.  Mine finally bit the dust.    

       The ocean here at Saint Andrews Beach in the state park is calm and aquamarine colored. 
It is a jewel. The waves were calm.  Perfect weather today.    I can hardly wait to go back.
Above and below Saint Andrews Beach. We saw a big bunch of sting rays swimming gracefully with us.  It was awesome.  We saw dolphins!  Lots and lots of fish.  

Above and below: Saint Andrews Beach. Snorkeling.  




Above and below. Panama City Beach and M.B. Miller Pier




Above: Kenny on the beach at PCB.   He is my life and my heart.  



  We spent Thursday and Friday resting, swimming in the ocean, swimming in the pool.   Just relaxing.  

We went out to Shrimp Basket for Low Country boil one evening.   It was great. Our waiter was from Louisiana.  His name was Derek and we wanted to take him home with us. He was such a cool guy.  Friendly and interesting.  Full of spirit!   


    It started off bumpy, but turned into a fantastic, much needed vacation. Reconnecting and learning to be Kenny & Dana again.  I'd turn right round and go back again next May.  Thankfully we don't have to wait that long!  

    Saturday we packed up and headed home.   The drive home was not too bad.   We made good time. 

I want to go see the Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery, Alabama.  I love me some Hank.

I also want to visit Fair Hope, Alabama to see the Kurt Wintermeyer Pitcher Plant Bog.  

I want to hit up the Florabama Lounge and Bar.  


    Reminders of things to do in September/October for Fall Break. 

Sea Screamer boat ride.  

Saint Andrews State Park 

The Salty Mermaid Marketplace 

Revisit Cindys Kids consignment store.


     It was great to get home and sleep in our own bed! We did not bother unpacking fully since we had to leave in one week to go to Virginia for Memorial Day.   

Below:  Beautiful sunset from the main beach road in Panama City Beach.  

El Beso del Final 


  



 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝