Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Black Friday Opt Out Finishing the Kevin Adams 100 Waterfall Challenge

  



Black Friday Opt Out
Finishing the Kevin Adams 100 Waterfall Challenge

Thursday Nov.23  to Sunday Nov.26 , 2023

Dana & Kenny Koogler 



Kevin Adams 100 North Carolina Waterfalls Challenge



  Kenny's job as a crane operator requires him to be very flexible on scheduling.  By extension that means I must be very flexible on scheduling.   I have paddled my own canoe for years so I have learned to be okay with this.   It  has got to the point that he sometimes resents my Plans B, C, D, etc.  He no longer is just happy that I'm happy.  Sometimes he feels jealous that he is missing out.   Back in October he warned me that November was going to be busy.  Consequently we might not get to celebrate our anniversary on the actual date, but have to put it off until things quieted down.   My response was Miss Merry Sunshine.  I will do this or I will do that.  No worries.   He didn't seem to like my reaction.   He told me one evening "Hey! Let's plan us a camping trip for right at Thanksgiving! Let's leave right after we eat!? We'll just take off!"  To which I replied "Sure. Okay!"  


     I decided I'd use the time to hike to my final two North Carolina waterfalls of the Kevin Adams 100 North Carolina Waterfalls Challenge.  One was in Valle Crucis. The other was about an hour away in Old Fort.    It turned out to be more difficult than we'd ever imagined to book camping reservations for an RV during the Thanksgiving holidays!  We had to settle for what was within reason distance wise from the planned hikes. We also had to settle for what was open.   Kenny found a place that is a Camping World campground.   It looked nice.  It is open year round.  I booked it to the tune of $278 for three nights.    


           The plan for Thanksgiving was to have it at our daughter and son-in-law's new home.

The whole family would pitch in and no one would be stuck doing it all.   It was a great idea.   She predicted we would NOT go camping.  Crystal said we'd get full and sleepy and just forget it.

We ended up going, but she was more right than I cared to admit.   I got sentimental. I wanted to be with the family all day.   There is no pleasing me.  I bellyache when I am stuck with kids. I bellyache when I have to leave them.     I'm a wreck. I know. 

       Kenny and I talked it over at home in private.  We were both of the mind we'd just as soon do something around the area. Forget camping.  I checked into the campground's policy on cancellations.

I found that in order to receive even a partial refund you had to give them thirty days notice.  Then you'd only lose $25.     They also do not issue credit for another stay retaining your funds for a later trip.  No changes during the holidays and no refunds.   We did not want to be out the $278 so we were on the hook to stay.   We were going.   It was good in a way.  It would force me to get this done.


   Thanksgiving Day was great.  It was so yummy and the fellowship of our family was the best.

We took a ride to the top of the mountain on the side by side.  Jason & Heather. Kenny, myself, Gabe,Mia and Michael.   Later Tessa took a ride.    The weather was cold, but clear and sunny.  

We had so much fun. Going up Payne Holler to the playground was a butt puckering experience.

The trail is narrow and steep with a long plunge off the edge if you go over.    I didn't care for it.


     I did not take a lot of Thanksgiving Day pix, but here are a few.


Above: Back porch with Adam's new Traeger smoker. He prepared a turkey with it!

Above: Jason & Heather's side by side, Michael's four wheeler and Jason's white truck in the distance. 


Above: Football on the back porch.  Adam  bought a propane heater to make it nice out there.
Above and below:  the food in the kitchen


Above: I prepared a roast turkey the traditional way in the oven.  It all got eaten. Just enough left overs for one sandwich or so.  



Below:  The turkey I roasted BEFORE it was devoured!  I even put fresh rosemary in it out of my herb garden.  I stuffed it with lemon and onion and Malden sea salt. 









Below: the dessert table after it was hit pretty hard. My favorite of all was #1 Rowan's German chocolate cake.  #2 was Pam's pumpkin cake with caramel icing.  Gabe's favorite was Pam's Pumpkin cake! 

Above: left to right son in law Adam. Grandson Gabe, daughter in law Lydia. son Jared. cousin Rowan
Below:  left to right. daughter Crystal with her back turned. Heather, Chevy, Adam, Gabe, Lydia
Below:  Michael standing.. grandson squatting down is granddaughter Tessa age 10.   Chevy Rose, and Adam
Below: Michael with a serious expression

  After lunch the family went our ways around the house and yard.  Some of us took a ride up the mountain and spin around the nine acre property.   Some went into the living room to go into turkey and food induced comas.    We are like a bunch of dogs who will readily pile up on one another.  


      Despite the temptation to hang around Kenny rolled me out and we had to leave. We said our good-byes.  We went home and quickly finished packing and were on the road to North Carolina by 4:30 p.m.  We weren't sure what to expect traffic wise, but we had no real problems either coming or going. That is a mercy.    I use the ride time to kick back and have my turkey coma in the truck. I put my neck pillow around me.  Put my fuzzy blanket over my lap and my jacket up over my face and settled in.  I am absolutely rotten.   The ride for me seemed like it only took a hour or so.   

 Arriving at this campground at twilight was not a problem as we were all paid up. We knew the campsite number, and the sites are wide, easy access with good lighting.   We got set up around 7:30 p.m.  It was late and cold and we were rather tired.  We opted to wait until morning to go grocery shopping.  Many businesses close early for Thanksgiving.  We did not know if we'd find places open.

Friday Finishing the Challenge


   We had a nice breakfast this cold morning.  We had time for a second cup of coffee. We headed to the Ingles in town.  It was situated by my favorite store... Beall's.  I looked at Kenny, batted my eyes and jumped out of the truck to go in. He laughingly parked the truck then followed me in.  I found me a soft, red, fuzzy sweater with sparkles that says Deck the Halls. I got a sparkly pocket book to carry to church with a new dress and shoes.   I quit so we could get the groceries and get on the trail. 

A quick run back by the camper to put away groceries and pack sandwiches and we were heading to the trail.  

      

       Curtis Creek and Hickory Branch Falls 

         Neither of the falls were a long hike, but the bad part was the drive to get there.  

We had never been to the Curtis Creek campground.   Upon seeing it I don't feel like we've missed anything.   I'm sure it is probably prettier when we've had more rainfall and it is Spring, but it was nothing to brag about today.     We found the trailhead and parked.  We found the trail directly across from us.  It climbs steeply to the ridge and then drops over into the drainage where the falls lies.   We encountered some men on their way back out.   One asked Kenny "What species are you looking for?" to which he replied "None. We're here to hike to the falls."  That was odd occurrence #1.   

  We were grateful for Kevin's good directions.  It saved us hiking to the top of the falls where you cannot see it that well.  We went directly to the base.  It was a pretty enough falls. Not spectacular, but some water on there. Enough to make it worth the hike.   The entire hike was only 1.2 miles round trip.

Easy.      Odd occurrence #2 came on our return hike.  We had seen a lot of folks today hiking.  Nice family groups and couples.    We were greeted by several sweet, friendly dogs. We both like dogs.

The hike out was simple and I was ahead of Kenny by a few steps. I heard the sound of a vicious dog growling behind me. I turned to face a huge Rottweiler snarling at us with fangs bared.  The woman holding the leash was not much bigger than me.  My gut reaction that came flying out of my mouth was "ah shit!"  The woman spoke " She's not going to hurt you. She's just protecting her family."  

  I just left my filter off and replied "Ummm I dunno. She got teef don't she?"   Her eyes flew open wide and she looked indignant.   I didn't give a damn.    Kenny was angry. Angry disproportionate to the event.   I did not understand why at that time. He did not tell me until later in the day that just prior to that happening the dog had been off the leash. He saw it and heard it.    He was right to be mad.  Some folks don't have any common courtesy or sense.    Mrs. Mean Dog needs to keep her and her animal and her family that needs protecting far from me.   

  Kenny got over being mad and we both agreed that the funniest thing about it was my ingrained habit of whipping out the Black Jeopardy standard response of "He got teef don't he?"  It was all that saved that for us.   Kenny has decided to start open carrying a fire arm all the time for such occasions.  He said he'd just tell the people to keep their mutt under control and leashed at all times or we'd be having a funeral right there on the trail. We'll start a "Pet Semetary."   I don't blame the dog. I blame the idiot owners who fail to go by the rules, and who fail to socialize their dogs properly.  Rottweilers or any breed can be sweet, big babies if you train them right.  

Below is a photo of Hickory Branch Falls.  



Below is a video of the same falls


Crab Orchard Falls at Valle Crucis


  We cooled off from our hike and pulled over to eat a quick bite prior to continuing.

The next falls was clear over at Valle Crucis and  there is no good way to get there.   Despite that we picked the worst way there.  It was the most winding road with precipitous drops and crazy drivers along it.  I began to recollect why I'd put this off for so long. I hate coming here because there is no good approach.   We finally managed to arrive at the conference center and park the truck.    It was a nice place with clear signage indicating where to park, and where to start your hike.      The hike is only 1. 4 miles round trip with the first part of the hike steeply uphill.  There are benches along the way to rest.  We knew one of them was situated right near the point where you turn left and begin heading down to the falls.    We finally got to that point and could get glimpses of the waterfall. We could hear it so this was a good sign.    We encountered lots of very nice people and nice dogs on this hike.   


    The downhill approach to the falls is in deep shadow at this time of the afternoon.  Thankfully they have built boardwalks that get you down to the bottom of the main falls.   It is a very slippery, wet, rocky, root strewn track.    It would be a mess if not for the man made improvements.    Crab Orchard Falls cascades steadily down the mountain in the deep gloom. 

We watched one group of hikers head up through the rocks to look for more cascades.  

  I got my photos and video of this pretty spot. It dawned on me. I had done it! I had finished. 

One hundred waterfalls completed.   I was pleased, but knew something inside me was not right and needed fixing.    The two hikes today felt very perfunctory.   I was not overjoyed at it or particular enthused about hiking.   I made up my mind I was going to figure this out. 

 

Above: Looking downstream of Crab Orchard Falls at Kenny
Above: 
Above: the board walk and the folks with their very NICE dogs. 
Above:  Crab Orchard Falls is not real big. 

Below is a video of the falls




    We enjoyed the sight of the falls for a bit and began our hike out.  We hiked along with another nice couple on the way.   Once you get up that first hill the remainder of the hike is downhill or level.    Back at the truck we  loaded up and headed back to Marion.   Kenny decided we should go out to eat tonight instead of cooking.   He is big on google reviews and sets a great store by them.   He found a barbecue place called "Smoke a Little Smoke". Insert eye roll here.  

  We  went over there  around 6:30 p.m.   We'd gotten showered up and changed clothes into something dressier.    The Christmas lights in downtown Marion were very pretty.    The historic downtown was lovely.   We pulled up to a stop light and the map indicated we needed to go straight.   The only option to go straight was down an alley between two buildings.   We pulled down in there and began looking around for this restaurant.   It was dark back in this spot.  I finally saw a lighted window and looked in. It was easy to see in because from street level you have to step down two or three stairs to enter.   This gives you a clear view into the place.  It was very dimly lit. The street and the whole atmosphere was very murdery looking.   Only four people in the whole place.  At that precise moment I did not care that the place had a 4.4 star review. I just knew I wasn't setting foot in that place.    It looked like something off the X Files.  I'm not above going in a dive bar, but this took the cake.   Kenny was embarrassed at his choice.  We went instead to a place new to us called J. Hartmans.  It was wonderful!   We laughed about the difference.  He was still trying to rationalize things.  "It would have been fine during the day." 

I   told him I'd sooner go in Lowell's of Murvul on a Friday night as that place. Lowell's was the local dive bar and the official "Cut N' Shoot" spot of weekends.    Stabbings. You name it.  It was so bad the place was shut down. It is no more.  

     
  Saturday Morning Plans 

     The original plan for Saturday morning was to get up and drive back up to Boone. We were going to hike to Flattop Lookout Tower.   The morning dawned gray, drizzly, cold and windy. 
I made up my mind I was not going to do that hike.   I often identify a problem long before I can express exactly what that problem is in words.   I had identified a problem with this plan and with me.   I had a very nebulous vibe about this trip and this place in particular.   Marion North Carolina is more populated and far more a town than where I came from in Virginia.  Yet for all the additional homes and businesses it has the same feeling.  Zack Virginia is twenty five miles in any given direction to a town.    Nothing going on out here.  Marion NC has the same  feel. 
Nothing going on round here.  It is a bit desolate.   I realized something about myself. I've lost the willingness to be in such places.  I've grown to like more going on. I've grown to like being around people more.   I'm not feral any longer.   I've overcome that hermit lifestyle.   

     I also realized that I was absolutely joyless in doing these hikes.  I was merely checking off boxes. There. Done!  and move on.  I hate it.  This is so not my style.   I determined I was going to come up with a better plan for these final five fire towers.  I was going to enjoy the hikes not just check off boxes.    Give me a little and I'll get it sorted out and come up with a good plan.

             Today we'd do something different.   I had lost all but one photo of nearby Tom's Creek Falls.   I knew we missed the old mica mine while there last time.   We'd go do that hike.  Once we got done exploring we'd figure out what came next. 

             Getting to Tom's Creek Falls was quicker than driving to Boone and the Blue Ridge Parkway.    We arrived to find numerous other families hiking.   That was okay with me.  
I noticed the trees around the parking area and just beyond it were surrounded by a faint orange haze.  A closer look revealed the trees were loaded with American bittersweet in fruit!  It was so pretty.  The drizzle of rain had stopped.  It was still cold and gray so I left my heavy coat on. It felt great.   The wind had died down some.  

         We made the short, easy hike to the falls and the viewing platform.  I enjoyed seeing the falls for only the second time ever.  It was in need of some rainfall, but was at least flowing.    It is a very tall waterfall. I think it is sixty feet high, but it looks to be taller.    We saw a cut in the embankment on the left of the falls. I believed that to be where the old mica mine was located. 
Kenny yelled for me to come up to where he was.  He spotted a set of old supports for a wheel that was part of the conveyance system for the mica ore.  A wheel sat in here that helped run a pulley car system to bring mica across the creek and to the haul road where it was taken out. 

       


Below is a photo of Toms Creek Falls in low flow.  






Below is a look at the two cement structures that used to support a wheel for the mine.
This was their loading area for the ore.




    We checked out the cement structures and then climbed down to the creek and easily rock hopped to the far side.  We followed that cut in the bank a very short distance to the old mine entrance.  It was really cool.   The way the mine opening is formed leaves a man made archway over the mine.    You can see holes bored into the rock for anchor points.  You can see the drill marks in the stone where they blasted.   We spent some time just exploring.  

     While I was taking pictures and video another couple appeared. They saw us nosing around and were curious what was over there?  They came to check it out.   This is how we came to meet Colleen and Dan Schreffler!  They were a fun couple and we enjoyed their company briefly.  We exchanged phone numbers so we could keep in touch.  They are keepers!   It felt good to make friends.    We then crossed back over the creek and said our good byes.   Kenny and I decided to take the trail that leads to the top of the falls to see what else we might find?    I was glad we did.  There is a decent view up there.  We also found another ten foot drop and about a seven foot drop.    The seven footer was easy to approach. The ten foot falls while pretty was a bit too close to the edge for us.  



Below: the mine entrance



Below: a different vantage point shows how there is a hole directly over the mine entrance. This forms an arch.  Perhaps they hauled the ore straight up and then over? 





Below: If you look closely you can see Kenny up there through the hole.  










Above:  the haul road that leads to the top of the falls looks pretty good.  

Below: The view from the top of the falls out over the area.  





Below: You can barely glimpse the ten foot section of falls up top.  This was unsafe looking in low flow.  I cannot imagine it being any better during normal water volumes.  You'd run the very real risk of being swept over the brink of the falls.  






Below: a profile view of the smaller cascade up top. It was quite pretty.






Below: same cascade shot from directly in front of it.  This little pool was far enough back from the edge that you'd have to work hard to get swept over the main falls.  




  It was fun exploring.  Just doing things spontaneously.    I felt the old joy of hiking return to me.  I was recapturing what had been missing from this trip.  






Below: This is the haul road on our return hike back down the mountain.  The road reminded us of the old railroad cuts found in the Smokies.  Deeply set between two banks.   The layer of fallen leaves concealed many holes, rocks and roots.   It was harder going down that coming up it. 




  We wrapped up our hike and went to town for  some Christmas shopping.   We got in some exercise.  We made friends. We had fun.   We managed to get some good deals on gifts for our family members.     Marion really is a friendly little town.   One lady saw us loading things into the truck and wanted to know if Wal-mart had anymore of those?  We were able to tell her yes and where to find them.      


        Sunday morning we packed up and headed home early.  We were trying to get home ahead of any traffic.   We had no problems.   We made it home in plenty of time to get me to choir practice Sunday evening and Gabe to practice for the Christmas pageant.     I love to hike, but I've learned what makes it fun for me, and what robs me of my joy.    I have also come to realize that I have formed connections in my community. I love my growing family. I love my little country church. I want to be involved in those events.    December 11, 2023 it will be twenty-two years since we moved to Tennessee.   It was a life changing decision that was prayed over by me.  The Lord has been real, real good to me over these years.    It has made all the difference for the better. 

    
   Below is a video of Tom's Creek Falls and the old mines. 






  I am including some information at the end of this blog entry regarding the various hiking challenges that are available to participate in.    I have enjoyed them and in no way want to disparage them.   I just did not plan well to finish up the waterfall list.  I was winging it in a bad way.     Upon returning home I joined the Forest Fire Lookout Association.  It was something I'd long consider, but finally did!   I am a member of the Tennessee chapter.  I'm looking forward to the final five tower hikes.  I am going to try to do those hikes to optimize the fun. I want to be in the Big Ivey area during one of the festivals where the Little Snowball tower is open for tours! I plan to learn and take advantage of my membership in the FFLA.    I believe it will be a good experience.  


   
Here is a link to the challenges available by joining the Carolina Mountain Club. You must be a member in order to receive recognition for the challenge.  

I have completed their Waterfall 100.  Since I did it they have made much more liberal rules for completing it which is great!  If you feel you cannot complete a certain hike you can simply choose another one to substitute that will be better suited to your ability level.  The list to choose from is more than 100.   

I am working on their Lookout Tower Challenge. 

Others are : 

Centennial Challenge-- 50 miles of hiking with the CMC and 50 hours of trail maintenance.
100 Smokies Favorite Hikes
Pisgah 400
South Beyond 6000 -- hike all the peaks in the south above 6, 000 feet elevation

Youth Partner Challenge-- pair up with a youngster and introduce them to hiking.

Appalachian Trail-Mountains to Sea Challenge


   


Kevin Adam's challenges

100 Disabled-Access North Carolina Waterfalls Challenge
100 North Carolina Waterfalls Challenge
250 North Carolina Waterfalls Challenge
500 North Carolina Waterfalls Challenge


      

      

You might want to do the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club 900 Miler Club where you hike all the trails of the Great Smoky Mountains!  



Each year Big South Fork puts on a GO BIG challenge. They have not yet come out with the events for 2024. When they do I'll place it here.  



  Get involved. It is so good for you and can bring much enjoyment. The key is to keep it fun and not make it a chore or just checking off boxes.  If it comes to that you need to change how you're doing it in the words of my wise friend and 900 Miler Betsy Lee! 



I have filled out my paperwork and mailed it to Kevin Adams.  I'm glad I did it. 

















2 comments:

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝