Thursday, February 15, 2024

Country Store Blog Series --West Fork General Store and Orange Falls at Cub Mountain




 


Country Store Blog Series --West Fork Grocery and   Nearby Orange Falls at Cub Mountain

Saturday February 10, 2024

Kenny & Dana Koogler
Sharon McGee




  We are going through one of those holding patterns where every time we make plans with Sharon it rains! I told her I was going to change my name to Storm Crow.  We planned to go see her and go riding.   I wanted to go to Cub Mountain now that we'd had rain.   Waterfalls are flowing.  I believed we'd be able to make it to Rainbow Falls, Blue Hole Branch Falls, and Orange Falls all in one day.   I knew they'd be running well.    We went on despite the forecast being for 100% rain.    We got to her house Friday evening.  We had a nice supper. 

    Saturday morning it wasn't raining to begin with.   About the time we got breakfast done it was raining though.  The usual vacillations over what to do went on.  We debated going to Muddy Pond and Mayhew Masters Stores to see those instead.   Finally it hit me. I'd already bought passes and paid. We were going or bust!    The weather forecast had the Cantrells decide not to open, but let people buy passes on line and ride.  They figured not enough business to warrant opening.   We figured we'd have the place to ourselves.  We didn't imagine any other folks would be crazy enough to ride today.     

    We had the gate code and waivers all fixed up.  We pulled in the gate and were shocked to see more than twenty vehicles trailering in to ride!  It was a group of perhaps twenty five different machines!  A large group of Hispanic friends and family showed up to ride.   They were trying to figure out what to do to pay.   I told them if they could get online they could pay that way using cell phones.   The one man said none of them had a phone signal.  He had been twice before and was known to Lisa.  She texted him the gate code.   I told him since they were already there the only other options were to pay cash at the drop box or go ahead and ride then pay once they got out where there was a phone signal.   I figured if she knew him and trusted him enough to give the gate code it was worthy of trust to pay afterward.  

     This place is so big at Cub Mountain that despite all those people being there we never saw another rider all day!  They have added a lot more trails.     


           We plugged in the waypoints for Blue Hole Branch Falls and tried that first.  Turns out 
the trails are above it.  That was a no go.  Rainbow Falls and pit the same way.    It may be possible to get there from Cub Mountain ATV park, but we did not find it today.   The old route is still the easiest and simplest.    We did see a lot of wet weather falls dropping into the hollers in many places.  The water was churned up and very muddy.  

    We also found another decent cascade on Blue Hole Branch above the falls.   We managed to get to Orange Falls.  The trail takes you alongside it. There is a pull off and a path down to the base.  It has a rope tied off to assist you.  It is a short, slick clamber down to see it.
It had been nineteen years since we visited Orange Falls.   We found it the first time we came over here exploring.   

      It is an interesting little cascade on Cub Creek.  Iron oxide has formed in the rocks around it and in the stream bed.   The carved rocks around it make a pretty scene.   A huge boulder lays by the spot where you climb down to see it.  It was tough for me, but I used my trekkers and the rope and made it down and back up again.  I just had to take my time.   


  
Above: Orange Falls from the base. I loved the bold color contrasts and the cut out rocks.

Above: Orange Falls from a little further back. You can see the tall bluff above it.
Above: Kenny is holding the umbrella to help me get video and photos minus rain drops! He's the best. 
Above: Odie the dog .. best hiker ever... is starting back up the slope where we came down. The photo doesn't show how truly steep it is. You can see the rope if you look close in the center of the image.  The RZR is way up there out of sight.
Above: First approaching Cub Creek. Orange Falls is way on up there.  
Above: One of many tall ribbons of murky water flowing down today
Below: A ford of a stream


Above: Blue Hole Branch way above the falls.  I thought I saw a nice cascade so we stopped. I climbed down to see it closer. I am glad I did because we did not see a lot today.  
Below is a nice photo of the cascade on Blue Hole Branch


  We did some riding and getting pelted by rain and mud.  We were laughing and cutting up, but two things happened.  Kenny decided then and there to invest in a set of enclosures for the RZR.  We also got soaked to the skin despite rain gear so we were OVER IT pretty quickly.  Speaking for myself I was soaked, muddy, cold, hungry and ready to get warm, dry, fed and out of here!

   We got our moneys worth. It was still better than sitting round at home. I always say I can survive a thorough soaking.  It hasn't killed me yet. Kenny worried that it would harm my lungs and make me sicker than I had been.  It didn't.    

       We loaded up and tried to decide what to do for lunch?   Kenny was in favor of heading to Muddy Pond.  I did not want to wait that long to eat or get dry.  I also did not want to roll up in the Mennonite store looking like a hound from Hell.    Sharon had a better idea.  We stopped by West Fork General Store.  What a great idea that was!


       
           Below is a video of our rainy ride on Cub Mountain.  Love this place.
The video shows more of what the place is like when water is flowing.   It is impressive. Sharon said she liked it even better today than the first time.   It is a good Spring wildflower destination as well! 







    Below is a video of Orange Falls 










West Fork General Store 


   I have been to West Fork store before.  I met the owner, Kathy.  She was super sweet.  It is a nice store.   I had heard Sharon tell about how good their food is, but I had not tried it.  Today was the day! We'd try it and this would be another Country Store blog.   It would help round out a rainy day.    It sits by the intersection of Highway 52 and SR 85 that heads toward Cub Mountain.     Here is a link to a Google map showing the location.   If you click the title above that says West Fork General Store it takes you to their Facebook page.  


    Above: Kenny approaching the store past the gas pumps.  

Below: They had a sign out front Free Rabbits! This place functions as the unofficial Humane Society in the area.  Kathy takes care of many feral cats and sees to it they either find homes or have shelter and food.  They in turn keep the mice down in the area.  We saw only two cats today piled up behind the firewood sleeping and lounging on an old rug! 



  We stopped to take a peek at the bunnies. They were cute.  A Dutch lop eared rabbit or two and a regular bunny.   I use to have a rabbit when I was about three.     We strolled on it.  Tana was on duty. Her name is pronounced Tay-na like Day-na!   (me!)    It was warm inside and had the wood stove smell that a good country store should have in Winter.    I grew up going to places like this.
My great grandfather heated the house with wood and a kerosene heater so those smells are home to me.   I burned wood to heat my house until I was nearly forty years old!   

            We took a look at the menu which was impressive!  Sharon and I got a philly cheese steak sandwich.  Kenny got a bacon cheeseburger.   Tana prepares all the food fresh and hot. It was quick, but not "fast food".    It is satisfying to hear the sizzle of the grill while your food is being prepared.   You know it is going to be good.   

    I strolled around and got photos of the place. It is quaint.   I enjoyed the warmth of the wood stove.  I was just beginning to dry off some.  It was nice that it did not matter to her that we were wet and muddy.    We were welcome anyhow.   We sat and enjoyed a delicious, hot lunch with Tana.  The conversation was pleasant and light.   I couldn't believe I'd waited so long to try this for myself.   Sharon was correct.  Next time I am going to go for breakfast!    

          This little place is a hidden gem. Fuel.  Basic automotive needs like oil and fuel treatment.
Basic medicines like Advil, Tylenol, cold remedies.   Basic groceries. Soft drinks. Beer.   Snacks.
Gifts.  Cards.  And a Community Chest area near the store front that is clothing donations you can help yourself to.   Also a community bulletin board for businesses and services.   They have a candy counter and full deli!     It is exactly what a country store should be!   

         

Above: near the entrance is a free clothing bin They also sell ice chests and ice! Fishing tackle. 
Below: icecreams to pick from and popsicles.
Below: the Pharmacy section of the store just above the candy
Below: candy selection

Above: they sell candy cigarettes! I loved these when I was a kid.  Now I'm sure they are not Politically Correct, but they are still around! 

Below: The community bulletin board area 

Above: automotive needs. 

Above: Chips and snacks
Below: Gifts and country decoration and local crafts like rattlesnake hide wallets! 




Above: deli counter.. above are cigarettes. Beer cooler. You can even buy it by the single, but you cannot drink it on the premises. 
Above: the dining area is cozy. See the firewood stacked in the wood rack?  The wood stove can be seen and the wall is decorated with area historic photos.  

Above: basic grocery items
Below:  Selection of bottled drinks like when I was a child at my Poppy's store! 


Below: blurry image of the deli items.


Above and below : deli counter with the menus on the wall.  You can see Tana back there working.





   We had a nice lunch and felt better and a bit warmer and drier.   We paid Tana and loaded up to leave.  It was not too far  until we were back at Sharon's house.   We got dried off and clean.  I took a shower to warm up after being drenched and wearing wet jeans around.   Sharon started a fire in the fire place.  We all felt better and went in to relax.  I woke up an hour and a half later with a pillow print on my face!    I got under the blankets to get warmed up and fell sound asleep.  I'm a real fun party animal.



Below: Sharon's beautiful fire place.  It really was cozy! 


 

      All in all a good day and a nice weekend despite the rain.

    We headed out after breakfast Sunday morning.  We drove Glenobey Road which is now reopened all the way through.  It is repaired after a landslide.    Gwinn Branch and the spring were gushing muddy water!  Gwinn Branch is usually a dry stream bed above the spring.    


Below is a video of Gwinn Branch and the flooded stream at the confluence with the spring.

 Below is a video of the cascade we found on Blue Hole Branch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝