Monday, February 19, 2024

Greenback Castle With Sharon

 



Greenback Castle With Sharon

Saturday February 17, 2024




   My birthday was back in August.  My mom got me exactly what I wanted... tickets to the Knoxville Opera to see "La Traviata" by Giuseppe Verdi.  I have been to the opera before, but it had been six years!  I had never attended a performance in the Tennessee Theater of anything.    Kenny is not wild about opera so I asked my best buddy Sharon to accompany me. She readily accepted.  We planned that she come over the for the weekend.    


    Friday night we went out to dinner in downtown Knoxville.  We chose Tupelo Honey since I had wanted to try it.  It was also right around the corner from the theater.  I have not been to market square. Such has been my avoidance of downtown Knoxville.   It was one more event to make me fall in love with Knoxville.  It actually does have culture available!  The restaurant was marvelous.   We had free parking.   It was a good night to get dressed up a bit,  and do something different.    Instead of hiking boots and camo we were in dress clothes and fur coats!   


  I did take a very few photos of the event because I wanted to be fully in the moment.  I did not snap photos or video during the performance. I felt it would take away from it and be rude.   The market square was a twinkling oasis in downtown.   The Tennessee Theater is a place everyone should experience at least once. It is incredibly beautiful.    We were on the balcony with great seats.

We were part of an absolutely packed house!!  The master of ceremonies said it was the largest audience they'd ever had!    This is great news because poorly attended shows tend to go away.

  


  Below is a trailer video that will give you an idea what La Traviata is like. It is about a courtesan named Violetta who is won over by a gentleman named Alberto.  She gives up her position as courtesan in favor of true love.   

Click this link La Traviata Synopsis .. it is a summary of the plot of the performance.  It is a romantic tragedy. 






Below: We are approaching the Tennessee Theater. This is a first for both of us. It is Sharon's first time ever at an opera. 

Marquis of the Tennessee Theater sparkling lights in the dark



 
Below: The view we had from our seats of the stage.  You can see the conductor and members of the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra warming up. 
Deep red curtain of the stage of Tennessee Theater







Below: I absolutely loved the ceiling design of the theater in the main hall.  It was so nice having Sharon along.  She is an interior designer by trade and can explain many details I'd otherwise not understand.   I can appreciate them, but I don't know the proper terms.




  We enjoyed La Traviata immensely. I'm already keeping an eye out for other performances to attend. 

I love Shakespeare and opera.   I would like to see the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra sometime in a performance other than playing for an opera. 


    We did not get home until 11:30 p.m.  We were both so wired up we couldn't sleep from the excitement of the show.  It was a mountain top experience.   We are so blessed to have this in our area.  

I looked to find out months ago and a big city like Atlanta doesn't currently have an opera company!

 Finally around 1 am. I was able to sleep.  Thankfully Saturday we didn't have to get up early.


Greenback Castle


   We sat there at breakfast trying to figure what we'd do for the day?  Kenny planned to go help our son -in-law Adam cut firewood and take down some trees.   It occurred to me that Sharon had long wanted to experience Greenback Castle for herself.  We'd go do it today!  It was cold, but clear with blue skies.

 I had wanted to go down that way to run by A Lot Less Factory Outlet so it would go together well.


Below: our first glimpse of the Castle today.  This was the first visit I've made here that I did not see Mr. Junior Banks.   I think he had company in to visit.  The castle is free, but the donation box is out front.  I was sure to leave a generous donation.  The castle looked to me like it is starting to show its age. Wear and tear are beginning to damage it.  I felt glad we came ahead to see it while we still can. 


Below:  A view of the other end of the front of the castle. 



Below: The archway out front that we proceeded through to start our tour.  





Below is what I call "The Throne Room". Junior is a Christian and rather eccentric.   You will see this castle is devoted to the Lord.  I like that personally seeing as how I am a Christian.  What I am not in favor of is all the doom and the World is ending!  stuff you see here. I don't know if it was him, his brother, or both who put up all the warnings about the Pale Horseman of the Apocalypse on the walls around this place.   He says in several places the Pale Horseman is already upon the earth.  Well yes.  Of course. The Pale Horsemen = Death.  That has been around since nearly the beginning of the world. 




Below: the four horsemen of the Apocalypse are Death, Conquest, Famine, War





Below is a detail just past the throne room that shows the death theme again in the skull embedded in the pavement. 



Below is the Game Room. It is a chess set with table and seating.  






Below: The skies have turned gray. It is damp and bitterly cold.   This particular view of the Greenback Castle reminds me of an H.P. Lovecraft horror story or Ambrose Bierce' "An Inhabitant of Carcosa".






Below: Sharon down in one of the various rooms of the castle. 


 


Below: as we continue we come to the walls where the theme changes to Egyptian art and proverbs upon the walls. 



Below: a corner near the back where the chamber of proverbs begins. You will find anything from recipes carved in cement to biblical sayings, moral advice,  lots of rambling, inaccurate scientific observations and proclamations of the end of the world.  


Below: Wall of sayings. Don't read them too long or you'll get a headache! Some of the sayings are accurate, but mostly rambling and pithy.  Sharon is contemplating the madness. 

Below:  A gryphon on a coat of arms above a faux fireplace and chimney

Below:  the back of the castle has walking paths. We followed one today, but it is just through a cedar barren without much to speak of.   The kids riding toy was a new addition as were the rings of glass bottles around the trees. 


Below: Looking through the archways at the back. I see three arches






Below: Sharon taking photos of the details of the area around the arches.  Dishes stacked in there like it is a cupboard.   Moss clumps growing on the brick.

And below is a detail of one of the little faces constructed here.  Some done in brick and cement with marble eyes. I am not sure what he used for the tiny teeth.  


Below: looking back through the archways. This place reminded us of the legendary Winchester House which was constantly under construction.  Doorways leading to nothing.  Stairs leading up to nothing. 

winding passages all throughout.  



Below: we have arrived at the inner sanctum.. where the guestbook resides.  a light is left on here and a very creepy clock radio. The clock display is flashing 12:00 constantly and the radio is playing, but it is super staticky and sounds like someone is constantly changing the station.  Very weird.  I signed us into the guestbook. 



Below:  We wandered round to where there was a super steep set of stairs.  We went up and found ourselves in this chamber above the "gaol".    A stuff animal type bull moose head hangs above a painting of a wheel of some type.  


Below:  Looking back toward the guestbook room from the next chamber.  It is a room with some sort of food donation area and toys to take or donate. It was rather confusing.  


Below: Sharon in the second room past the beads dangling. 



Below: The canned goods and toys area . instructions are printed there, but we couldn't make sense of it.   Odie, Sharon's dog was so good but even he is confused by this! 


Below: Sharon and Odie ahead of me on the "hiking trails".  You can see the daffodils are up. 


Below: Looking ahead of me down the path at Sharon and Odie.  




Below: an old canon with canon balls stacked in cement. It is loaded with a glass bottle and PVC pipe as a projectile! 



Below:  Sharon nearing the end of the tour.  I do agree that Jesus Christ is King.   

Below: detail of the arched wall with bottles



Above: we are at the far side of the Castle.. Wrapping up our tour. Thankfully because Sharon was freezing! 




Below: Back end of the castle with some sort of run down playland for kids.


Below: our final walk back to the car... more canons, ammo, graves, 



Below: grave markers. One looked real and was for a set of twins that were still born in the 1880s.



Below: The Shrine of Tchotchkes.  


  Poor Sharon's hands were numb and she was freezing.  We headed for the vehicle and concluded this part of our day.  We drove on down to Madisonville to Bert's Hometown Grill to have lunch and warm up.   It is always so good.  We were seated at once despite them being busy.   I'm proud to say Kenny and I have become regulars to the point they remember us.   It is a wonderful local eatery with the best service.  

  Sharon and I had cups of hot coffee, glasses of fresh water, BTL sandwiches and hot sweet potato wedges.    It was very satisfying and did a lot to help us warm up.   


    One we had lunch over we headed back up the road to Vonore to A Lot Less Factory Outlet.  

I love this place. They have two locations. One in Madisonville/Vonore and the other in Ten Mile.

I go to both, but this one is handier for me.   It is like going to Sam's Club, only better.  It isn't as crowded. No membership fees. Best of all it is easy to park and you aren't shopping in a football stadium sized building.   You can enjoy getting the things you need or want and get done and out of there.    The staff is always helpful, pleasant and friendly.  It is another place I go often enough to be a regular and they remember me.   I almost hate to tell anyone about this place because I feel it is shooting myself in the foot.  Giving my good secret shopping spots away.   


      I hit the jackpot today.  I got things we needed and some wants.  


  • 72 count Northern Toilet paper for $16.99
  • six count Pioneer woman new bath towels for $23.99= $4 per towel and boy are they nice!
  • Finish dishwasher liquid for $3.99
  • Our Generation Doll outfit for Mia $5.99
  • Lysol Spray disinfectant large can $1.99
  • Persil detergent pods 50 count $8.99
  • Olay Moisture with retinol two pack $ 29.99 = $15 per tub

Above: is a cell phone image of the shelves at A Lot Less Factory Outlet.  This place is amazing!

It is hard to realize just what a savings these items are until you start comparing them with retail prices. 

This is what keeps me coming back!  Things I did not get, but wished I had?  More Pioneer Woman bath towels and sheets!   I may have to go back and get some.  They are good stuff.  

Below: My Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) towels


Above: Detergent, throw blankets, ribbon, cleaning products, diapers, training pants, 
Above: Detergent, T.P. Paper towels, toys, cleaners






Below: Assorted sheet sets $19.99



       We got done and packed all that merchandise in the back of Sharon's SUV.  

We headed home to relax.  I got off my feet and propped up my legs to let my knees rest.  I took some tylenol and got a hot cup of coffee.   

  Later we had dinner at my daughter and son-in-law's home.  It was a Whole Fam Damily Meal including Sharon and Odie!  Tessa called to make sure Odie was coming. She loves animals!

  It was delicious home cooked food in a pretty, comfortable home in the country.

We had great conversation, fellowship and lots of laughs.  I am proud of my children, grandchildren, and family.  I am also proud of my friend Sharon.  She is a lovely human being and my family is happy to be around her.   I am blessed!  I don't deserve it, but Yes I am blessed! 




 Notes to self: I need to go check out The Sundry Store-- both locations in Etowah, TN. I didn't like it, but now I want to go and see.   I think it might be good! 


I realized I have not brought Mia to see Greenback Castle and I need to do that! 


Below is a video of Greenback Castle from today's visit.   








Directions to Greenback Castle:
 From U.S. Hwy 411 go 3.5 miles north of the bridge over the Little Tennessee River and turn right (East) onto North Trigonia Road.  Drive 0.7 miles on Trigonia Rd and turn left onto Lee Shirley Rd.
Drive 0.2 miles and as you top a hill turn right into a gravel driveway.  There is a sign at the end painted saying "Castle~~>"  The castle is at the end of the driveway.
From Dollar General in Greenback it is 1 mile south on Hwy 411 to a LEFT turn onto North Trigonia Road.
Drive 0.7 miles and turn left onto Lee Shirley Rd. Drive 0.2 miles and turn right into a gravel driveway as you top the hill.


PLEASE follow directions carefully and check your Google maps before setting off. I have cleared these directions up to reflect North Trigonia Road. I made a mistake in the previous set and people were trying to drive on a residents farm use only road. My apologies.  Only trying to help, but I am fallible. 

No admission/  Bring along a donation for the box.
Hours: Ok to visit from 8:30 a.m. to dusk.  Ok to visit whether Mr. Banks is there or not per the man himself.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know when this castle was being used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Mr. Banks began building it around 1999 and has worked on it for 25 years. It started as a "way to draw in the ladies". Around 2003 it became more of a religious shrine and dedicated to the Lord. It has never been used as a dwelling or fortification. It is and has been a tourist attraction from the start to the present. I think it was around 2016 when I first heard of it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝