Thursday, April 11, 2024

Cumberland County Wildflowers Spring 2024

 

Cumberland County Wildflowers


Sunday April  7 , 2024

Dana Koogler solo 




  Kenny had been working out of town at the nuclear power plant.    I had been missing him terribly, but having to stay at home to do various tasks.   Dental procedures.  Doctor appointments.  Pre-op teaching for joint replacement.     I finally got a break and went to visit him and stay the weekend. I was tickled to get to go.      I didn't do anything on Friday except go down and meet him when he got off work.   

We are staying in the Spring City vicinity so we went to Winstead's American Grill to try that out for date night.  It was quite good!    

     Saturday I went shopping.  I got some new sheet sets for outlet prices.  I love fresh, clean, soft sheets for our bed.    They are actually on my supply list for preop stuff.   They want you changing your sheets like a hospital would!   No kidding.   


          I got me some new PJs to wear as I recuperate.   I got a new blouse for Spring. 

I did some painting as a creative outlet.     I have been trying to rest and not overdo it with my knees.


   Sunday I realized I was not far from a location in Cumberland County where I had seen dwarf trilliums in the past.   I last minute decided to go for it.    It was a pretty drive and not too long.

The Spring City area is lovely.   


   I was pleased to see the redbuds in bloom. I had good views across the Cumberland Plateau.

I got to see yellow trilliums, great white flowered trilliums, phlox, wild geraniums, bloodroot, rue anemone, dwarf larkspur, trout lilies.    

     I traveled some rough roads and was glad I had my four wheel drive jeep.    It is filthy now, but that will wash off.   


     I finally did locate my hoped for dwarf trilliums.  It is the latest in the season I've ever gone to look for them.  First I thought they were all gone.   I spotted one and from there I was able to find lots of them.  I even found a new location for them!


   They are vulnerable so I don't give out the location of these.    They are beautiful and I treasure every single one of them since they are so rare.  


      I ran across some white trilliums that *may* have hybridized with the dwarf trilliums.  They were odd looking foliage and very, very small, but otherwise pretty typical in form.


  I am finding that as my surgical date draws closer I am having some significant anxiety.

I learned of a friend who had knee surgery and then suffered serious complications a few months later.

It was the worst sort of news. Very sobering.   

      I am finding because of all these things I am not terribly concerned about wildflowers or anything else.    I am just trying to hang in there.   I am having to force myself to get out and do things.  


   Working on Tennessee Landforms has been a blessed distraction.  


Below are a few photos of what I saw.   Cumberland Gal isn't very thrilling right now, but I am making an important investment in my health and future.  Hopefully this weekend I will get out to see some waterfalls and wildflowers and beautiful scenery.  I have found some inspiration and motivation that was in reserve!   

Below:  A very white form of Dwarf trillium (Trillium pusillum)

Below: pink form of dwarf trillium. Notice how the edges of them are very ruffley and the bloom is usually straight up toward the sky like a cup. 

Above and below" more dwarf trilliums

Above: beautiful shade of pink trillium with wider petals

Below: A very deep, hot pink dwarf trillium amid a grouping of several
Below: The ones pictured here were from a new location! 

Above: Sarvis berry tree in bloom
Above: wild geraniums were out

Below: Beautiful roadside scene in Cumberland Co with the blue skies and redbuds!

Above:  purple phlox 

below: golden ragwort
Below: typical trillium grandiflorum

Above: Dwarf Larkspur
Above: Not sure what this is? ID?  It is something in the phlox family. 
Above: bloodroot. I saw lots of this
Above: red maples in bud
Above: close up of dwarf trillium pair love these colors!
Above: pale pink rue anemone
Above: pair of trout lilies

Below: a singleton trout lily.  I saw lots of these today. 

Above: another very white dwarf trillium in a new location

Below: pair of yellow trilliums



     








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝