Thursday, September 6, 2018

Whites Mill Refuge

New York Ironweed Close Up


Whites Mill Refuge 


Dana Koogler

Thursday Sept. 6, 2018



   I had been wanting to go see a place that is about ten minutes from my house.
It is a waterfowl refuge.  It did not look like much on satellite view, but seeing as how
it was that close I figured it was worth a look.  It was not a complete waste of time, but
this time of year it is so overgrown there is no walking in there.  Unless you want to plow
endlessly through weeds as high as your head that is.  It is also supposed to be a marsh.
I did not have any plans to wade out into that mess without being able to at least see
the ground to tell how firm it was before stepping.    I found the ruins of Whites Mill.
I like old grist mills.  I am not sure how this one was powered.  Crooked Creek is right
near it, but not beside it.  They had to pipe water from the stream somehow in the past.

   Also there is no longer a mill wheel here.   I'd love to learn some history of this structure.
I've not run onto any thus far despite having looked online.  



 Sign at the entrance




 Whites Mill Ruins.




 Broken piece of pottery
Steps still standing but the floor of the top part is largely rotted out. 

 Cement structure behind the mill that makes me wonder if this was part of what powered it way back when?

Back side of the ruins

 Partridge Pea, goldenrod, new york ironweed,

Spotted Jewelweed growing by Crooked Creek



 Above and Below muddy old Crooked Creek

Cluster of purple New York Ironweed


2 comments:

  1. Whites Mill was powered by Crooked Creek before the Creek was diverted for agriculture purposes in the 1940s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information. That explains why there is no connection between the two today!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝