Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Exploring Off the Cherohala Skyway-Swan Cabin & Cold Branch Falls

green headed coneflower

Last green-headed cone flower lingers into Autumn


Exploring Off the Cherohala Skyway--Swan Cabin & Cold Branch Falls 

Dana Koogler Thursday Oct. 4, 2018





  I got a chance to go hiking Thursday.  I looked over my wish lists and finally settled on 
a trip to some spots off the Cherohala Skyway.   I've had a heel that is really smarting so I
would have to plan lots of shorter adventures with plenty of bail out opportunities if it got
too bad.    I drove down to Tellico Plains and it was a beautiful Autumn day.  Up at the high elevations it was sixty-six degrees and sunny.  Lots of puffy white and gray clouds 
and some fog up that high.   I had wanted to hike out to the Swan Cabin and explore around it.   I found the gate unlocked, but  I parked just inside it and walked.  I did not know if anyone would be renting the cabin, and I did not want to be rude.   I hiked the short distance in to the cabin to find no one there.   I had learned of a slide type falls behind it.
I wanted to try to locate it.  I had no way points or information other than the fact it existed.
Above and Below-- photos of the cascade I found very close behind the cabin. I did not believe this was really the "Swan Slide".  Turns out it wasn't!

   I found a sign pointing the way to the falls and a rail fence with a gap in it. A video I
watched indicated the folks hiked back through that spot to reach it.   I went ahead and
quickly found the same conditions they did on the video. Lots of rhodo, but it got worse.
Huge downed trees and an absolute wall of rhodo.  I found a small cascade, but it did not look right to me.  I could not recall exactly what size the "Swan Slide" was. I knew it was not a huge waterfall, but this still didn't look it.  I then wondered was I mis-remembering it?  Was this it and it just had less water on it?  That couldn't be right. Cold Branch had more water coming over it today than I'd ever seen before.   I did some snooping around, but could find no way to progress. No signs of others pressing on in any direction.   I finally decided with a hurt foot, being solo and a long way back
 in the mountains it would be best to gather some more info and come back with Kenny to hunt further another time.  I learned after getting home and watching the video another time sure enough that was NOT the Swan Slide.    (watch the video at 12:49 to 15:59 )  **Edited to Add**
Per "Chuck" Francis....... the Swan Slide is a very short hike.  Instead of going through the gap in the fence bear right onto the trail to it from the road before the cabin.   It goes higher and avoids the downed trees and the low cascade I found.   Thanks my friend!

     I doubled back and took some video footage and photos of Swan Cabin.  It is a pretty spot.
The start of Autumn color was in the trees around it.  All down the lane were blue and white striped
gentians and asters of pale lavender.     I waded out into what is known as Swan Meadows beyond the cabin.  It was the first time checking this out.  Not a lot blooming, but a few things.   A few ladies tresses orchids, stiff gentian, haw bushes with bold red berries, lots of beautiful goldenrod wands, white asters, and lots of hitchhikers. I came out covered in them!  Briar scratches all over my legs.
It was still pretty. Meadows in this area come in different flavors.   What is known as a meadow may have been allowed to grow up into a second growth sized forest. It may be kept partially mowed and maintained or be anywhere in between the two.  Swan Meadows is a tweener.    It is still pretty.
I would like a chance to return and see what it is like in Spring and Summer wildflower wise.
Maybe I can find Swan Slide and check out flowers at the same time!  I hope so.   The road coming up here from Santeetlah is closed several months of the year.   


Swan Cabin in field

Above: Autumn is coming to the high elevations around the Swan Cabin


trees with fungi shelves
Wall of rhodo and tall trees with shelf fungi near the stream 
fence around swan cabin

The gap in the fence is where the trail starts to the slide.  I wonder if it would be easier to come down to it off Bob's Bald? 


path with leaves
This path heading west straight out from the cabin goes to Cold Branch as a water source. It continues in the direction of Strawberry Knob and the  FR 81 and 81G
front view Swan Cabin
 Straight on view of the Swan Cabin
Swan Meadows
My first glimpse of Swan Meadows
Autumn colors coming to Swan Meadows
 Some color comes to the Meadows
The bright red mass you see bottom left is a haw bush.  May haws make delicious jellies!  
Very tart. 


goldenrod
 Goldenrod blooms in the meadow

Mayhaw fruit
Above-- close up view of Mayhaw fruit
Mayhaw berries  are a very Southern fruit
 Smilax leaves have turned red!
 Asters in the field
 The sky changed every few seconds!
 Nodding ladies tresses orchids in the meadow
 Stiff Gentian in the meadow
 Profile shot of the Swan Cabin
 Decorative Gentian.. striped blue and white! These bloomed all along the road

Road to the Swan Cabin 


Cold Branch Falls 


  Once I had satisfied my curiosity about all things Swan... I walked back up the road to the jeep.  I sat down and cooled off.  I drove back down to a pull off above Cold Branch Falls. 
I ate a sandwich and once I was done I walked down the road to visit a waterfall by the road.
The heel of my left foot has been hurting like a son of a gun lately.   I was hobbling like Chester off Gunsmoke.   I managed to crawl down over the bank and take lots of pictures of the lower falls on Cold Branch.  It was the most water I'd ever seen coming over the falls. What a beautiful early Autumn day.  The high temperature for today reached sixty nine degrees.  It was nice.   I saw parts of this waterfall I had never visited before. Previously it would not have been worth doing what I did today.  I climbed all the way up and down it and crossed the creek to the far side to get shots from over there.   I stayed an hour or more.   I really enjoyed it and lost all track of time. My weary soul was soaking up negative ions like a sponge.  I was totally chill.    I was fine until I got ready to leave and then the heel pain reminded me that while my spirit was willing to do a great many things.. my poor body was ailing.   By the time I hiked back to the jeep I had popped out in a sweat from the pain.   I took some motrin and got off my feet.   
 I approached the falls so close to the top here is where I came out.  I was right up in it!
 The brink of the falls
 Middle ways down the falls. Another new viewpoint for me of this waterfall

The near side of the falls had water flowing on it today!  

 I worked my way across the stream to get this viewpoint
 Standing mid stream

Lower Falls on Cold Branch 



Above is a short pretty video of various views of the falls

Santeetlah Headwaters

    Initially I thought I was done for the day.  The motrin began to kick in along with my usual heavy dose of nosiness.   I stopped to take pictures of lobelia along the road. Butterflies nectared on these pretty blossoms.  Sunflowers and what was left of jewelweed lined the roads.   It was still very green around this part of the forest, but the leaves were turning yellow and brown and falling.   I got some nice shots of falling leaves in my videos.   I was driving back toward the Skyway when I noticed that a usually gated road was open.  I could not stand it and had to turn aside and follow it.  I believed it would end pretty quickly at a gate, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it went on for a good distance. I realized I was making it up into the Santeetlah Creek Headwaters. This is a place to look for unexpected waterfalls and massive trees!  It is also a place you will probably have all to yourself.    Finally I did come to a gate and
had to turn around. It was a quiet, beautiful drive with lots of scenic cascades along the way. 
During a time of heavy rainfall or good water volume like now it would be worth walking the road past the gate.  The road dead ends at a gate high in the mountains.  Looking on the map the road number changes from FR 81C  to FR 2654.   Continuing on foot would bring you out on the back side of Little Huckleberry Knob and beyond.   Based upon what I saw up in here I will be back.   It is beautiful and tranquil.    I spent time walking the creek and photographing a few un-named cascades and pretty Autumn leaf scenes.    
The last of the great blue lobelia and spotted jewelweed along the forest road
 Cascades along the creek
 Further up the stream
 Beautiful golden leaves in the water
The old road really had the crunch of Autumn and the spicey smell of it too! 

Magicmomma's Crystal Ball of the Futurecast

  I foresee a return camping trip to the area to visit all seven of the known, named waterfalls in the Wolf Laurel area.  I see a trip to visit the Swan Meadows to scope out what sort of blooms there are in Spring and Summer.  I see myself exploring more of the Santeetlah Headwaters to find huge, old growth trees and previously un-known waterfalls.   
    
Below is a short video of the Swan Cabin, Meadows and Creek.



2 comments:

  1. We're headed up to Cherohala in another week, thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana KooglerOctober 10, 2018 at 5:02 PM
      You are welcome. Enjoy your trip and take advantage of all the beauty you can soak up! Blessings! Dana Bee~~~~🐝

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝