Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Mountain Glen RV Park Camping Trip Part 3 Touring White County with Marvin


Bright orange butterfly weed behind the Rock House


Mountain Glen RV Park Part 3-- Touring White County with Marvin , Cumberland Caverns & Hemlock Falls

Kenny & Dana Koogler
Marvin Bullock

Saturday June 15, 2019


















Meeting & Touring With Marvin 

  I am always on the lookout for the obscure and interesting things of the world.  Several years ago I went off on one of my tangents.  All I can say for sure is that I was looking for historical information when I ran across a blog called CragrockUSA.com.   It was written by a fellow named Marvin Bullock.  His blog began to be the first and sometimes only   info that turned up on odd places in my searches.  I've had lots of experiences with searching for off the beaten track places in the Great Smoky Mountains and Western North Carolina mountains where Jenny Bennett's blog.. Endless Streams and Forests was the only info out there.    Marvin was becoming my man with the answers in the plateau.  His blog would pop up more and more.  
I liked what he had to say. I shared  similar interests as well as views of the world with him.    I later encountered some fellows at Welch Point who invoked his name and shared his positions on many topics.  Over the years he kept popping up on my radar screen.  It takes me awhile to get the point, but I began to get it.   I needed to meet this gentleman to avail myself of his knowledge about life.   Finally he reached out to me and invited myself and Kenny to go touring round the county with him.  My heart and mind were quick to grasp the opportunity. I said yes at once.   It just so happened we were going to be in his area that weekend.  We quickly made plans to meet up on Saturday morning at the Sparta Chamber of Commerce where he works.     
IMG_2654
Above: Historic Rock House was a stage coach stop from the 1830's.  It was built by Barlow Fiske . For anyone who is interested the area history here is a link to the Bon Air Historical Society.    
      The morning we met Marvin there at the chamber it was very relaxed.  He is one of those folks who is easy going. He is so chill and so friendly he makes you feel like you've known him for a long time.   The four or five hours we spent with him flew by.  He imparted much wisdom to us during that brief visit.  Kenny and I both felt very blessed to meet him and hear his stories.    He took us out to his place and showed us round.   It is beautiful and quiet.   
The tour answered many questions, but it raised new ones.  I am sitting here as I type this trying to cipher how many more trips that one visit generated?!   I'm guessing at least seven.
IMG_2658
      Above: Marvin and Kenny way ahead of me.  I had been lagging behind taking wildflower photos.  This is the old road behind the Rock House.  


Some of the things we saw were the Rock House historic site.  Cragrock Geyser.
Old U.S. 70.    Bon Air Mountain. Coal Bank Road and the railroad grade.   Acid run off from former mining operations.  Capped mine shafts.  Rocking Rock Overlook or at least where to find it.   I got to meet Tom Lee.. the "father" of Dog Cove.  It is one of the state's latest acquisitions.  Calfkiller Brewery.  The chamber of commerce itself.   The old Bon Air spring.
The France Cemetery and the grave of Champ Ferguson.  We were able to buy the updated version of the Bridgestone-Firestone Centennial Wilderness map there at the Chamber for $10.
Kenny had just told me Friday night he believed it was inaccurate. He was right!

IMG_2659
Above: Marvin looking at Cragrock Geyser.  It was not flowing the day we were there.   Now that we know where it is we can try to catch it flowing.   It is behind the old Rock House and is an artesian well.  It  was used to get water to the trains on the mountain. 


        I had been feeling lately like the things I had believed important just did not matter to me so much.   I felt like I was bouncing round like a pinball.   I chalked it up to a return to having more free time.   I'm sure that was a factor, but I felt a pull to the plateau.  I had a pang in my heart that was the Lord's voice convicting me saying "if you love it........ devote yourself to it."
I knew what I needed to do was to focus up.  Put my talents to use visting and promoting the area I hold so dear.   Use Cumberland Gal to help others see the beauty and wonder of the plateau.   Use it to spread the word about great places to dine and shop in an area striving to become more.    It is always easier to just do what I am supposed to do than to resist it.
And so with Marvin's guidance I shall endeavor to improve this blog.  Expanding it to include directions to more places if they are on public lands.   Expand it to include dining info and shopping info.    I am only one voice, but I will do what I can to try to make a difference.

       
IMG_2670

Above: The Bon Air spring is extremely pure water.   I took me a big drink and had no ill effects. It is delicious water and very cold.   I could immediately taste limestone in it.   Our water in Virginia came out of a limestone well.  
IMG_2680
Above: Marvin is showing us the rock cribbing along the former railroad grade.   It has been used as an illegal dump site in the past.   People can sure be trifling. 
 
IMG_2697

Above: Marvin studying the grave marker for Champ Ferguson who was supposedly executed for war atrocities.   Ground penetrating radar has shown the grave to be empty.  A fair case has been made that perhaps he was not executed, but somehow escaped to start over in Oklahoma. 


Below: Kenny and Marvin checking out inscriptions on the old grave markers in the France Cemetery.  

IMG_2695


    We enjoyed our time with Marvin and look forward to the next chance to visit with him. 
He had a three p.m appointment with someone back in Sparta so we had to head back. 
He suggested several places we might have lunch.  He also provided good information on 
places I had wanted to check out.   We finally settled on Yanni's Grille in Sparta.  It was marvelous!  We will definitely be back.  It is attractive, fairly priced, clean as a pin, beautifully decorated, relaxed atmosphere. Most of all the food is delicious and fresh. They have quite a menu selection and the service couldn't have been better.    It is so nice to have a good choice of places besides the usual Wendy's, McDonald's, Sonic and other fast food joints.   After lunch we headed toward McMinnville with just enough time left to catch the last tour of the day. 
  

Cumberland Caverns 


   We had long known of Cumberland Caverns, but in the eighteen years since moving to Tennessee we had never visited.   I have been feeling lately that I needed to remedy some of these oversights on my part.   We wound round through the countryside until we arrived at the caverns visitor center.   It is worth mentioning that Mountain Glen RV Park and Campground gave us a free coupon that saved us about eight dollars on the total admission price!  
IMG_2706

Above: First look at the outside of the building.

  The grounds of Cumberland Caverns are very attractive and welcoming.   Inside the visitor center you can pay for your admission, wait in air conditioned comfort, get something cold to drink. They have clean restroom facilities.  Outdoors is a spacious porch with a neat gem mining sluice and koi pond.    A nice view is had from the shady front porch.    We saw kids down at the sluice trying their hand at gold and gem panning.   I had not been aware they had other activities besides the cavern tour.    I knew they offered camping, hiking and wild cave tours.   They still have entertainment at a venue inside the cavern, but it is now called Cumberland Caverns Live.  


Below: Koi pond and mine sluice at the caverns.
IMG_2709
Below: Comfy relaxation on the front porch of the caverns. I liked this chair so much I ordered us one!
IMG_2716

  I had read many things about the caverns regarding the history of how it was discovered.  I knew from a guidebook or two that I own it has waterfalls inside it.   I also knew from another guidebook about the trails on Cardwell Mountain.    It is part of the historic Trail of Tears.    I have not hiked it, but that doesn't mean I won't one day.  I've read reviews and seen photos that don't make it high on my list of places to hike.   It sounds rather mundane.

  At four p.m.  our tour group gathered and set off to get started with our guides.   We had two young ladies one of whom was training.    They did a nice job and were very cordial.  We had a cavern tour in Arizona that was just the worst.  The guides were at the end of their season and totally burned out.
They gave us the bums rush. We were the last tour of the day, but got an enthusiastic tour as if it were the first of their day.   I have much respect for that after having something to compare to!
The grounds continued to surprise.  This was the first time I'd ever seen a cavern tour where the entrance to the cave was not attached to the visitor center!   I asked them how many entrances there were to Cumberland Caverns? I was told there are three known.

Below:  The entrance to the caverns sits a short, easy walk from the building.
The massive doors look tiny in this rock face.
IMG_2725

      It had lots of interesting and beautiful stone formations inside.   Kenny really had a fit over it. I still felt like Luray Caverns in Virginia has this one trumped, but it is more touristy.  This cavern is wilder and more natural.  It is very dramatic.

Flowstone formations lit up in Cumberland Caverns.

IMG_2730

Below: The sparkling clear Henshaw Falls comes from the cavern ceiling.
IMG_2736

Below:  lines of stalactites ran across the cavern ceiling in this room 
IMG_2742
Below:  the start of the stairs up into the Hall of the Mountain King.
  IMG_2752
 
  Hall of the Mountain King is a three room affair.  It is multileveled.  three or four levels.  It is a steep little haul.   Slippery too, but they have railings.   It was one of the highlights of the tour.
It was a cool fifty-six degrees inside the cave. I felt great for most of the time,but toward the end I had a massive hot flash. I said to Kenny "I am the only person I know who could burn up at 56°"
I felt like I was going to spontaneously combust.   Time to change my personality patch. (thank the good Lord for estrogen!)    I was relieved on the way out to see another fifty-something lady who had a huge hot flash at the same instant!  I got to talking to her and laughing with her. I could tell she was relieved she wasn't alone in her discomfort.  Both our faces were flushed and our hair wringing wet.
The breeze outdoors was fresh and helped cool us off despite the fact it was seventy outdoors.
The humidity inside the caverns must have had something to do with it.

            The Volcano Room where they have concerts is an amazingly beautiful venue.  I will at some point in the near future attend a concert there and enjoy a meal or beverage.   I miss being able to have a drink of alcohol now and then.  I have several regrets. I wish we'd done this sooner, but at least we have done it at last.   It was great fun.   I regret letting the tickets to the Allman-Betts Band sell out before I could get some.   I regret not purchasing a souvenir light  bulb from the chandelier.
I think we should go back soon and take the grandkids to see it.   Make a day of it and get me a light bulb! 

Below: a photo of the great chandelier in the Volcano Room of Cumberland Caverns! 



 Saturday evening was great back at the campground.  We grilled out.  We relaxed and got cleaned up.   We enjoyed just being together.   We took a walk outdoors under a full moon down to the pond. We watched the lightning bugs flicker and glow.  We watched the moonlight  on the pond.  I listened to the frogs and cicadas sing.    I practiced a little trying to take better night time photos.   The wind was soft and cool.   I could hear the murmurings of other families and kids in the distance.  
It was  exactly what my soul needed. 

Below are some shots of the full moon I took that night.  It was magic.   I am a romantic fool.  
In my mind at times like this I will always hear some old song from the past.  Tonight I could hear Boz Scagg's Sail On White Moon in my head.    We went to bed and slept so good.  

 Sail on white moon Across the dark and starry sky.........


  Sunday morning we woke and got some breakfast.  We wanted to get out and do at least a small hike. We would have to check out by 1 pm so we didn't want to waste time driving.   Kenny had never hiked to Hemlock Falls in Camps Gulf. It is the addition to Fall Creek Falls State Park.  
It is a 5.4 mile round trip hike.   It is rated moderate.    I hoped the falls would be running well thanks to the recent rains.     We had a hotter day on Sunday than we'd been spoiled to the previous several days.   We were the only ones hiking to the falls, but we saw lots of cavers.     We made it to the falls and they were a little bit of a let down.   The hole of water is still very pretty and I got in to cool off. 
The forest is pretty, but it was not as fun as when the streams flow.   I want to go back when the water is gushing to get better photos.  Kenny was glad to see it though and was a good sport about it.  
We got some exercise in before the long ride home.   I saw a few Summer wildflowers. 
synandra, Indian pinks, fringed loosestrife, and purple phlox were a few flowers I spotted.  

  We packed up and said good-bye fondly to the Mountain Glen RV Park knowing the Lord willing.. we will be back!   We made it home and Gabe talked to me on the phone and wanted to come stay with us so he did.  We asked Crystal, Adam, Michael and Tessa to come visit, but they had plans.  
Kenny got to see Jared, Lydia and Gabe for Fathers' Day. He is the worlds sweetest daddy.  I'm glad he's the father of my children.  It took me all week to unpack and clean up from the trip, but it was more than worth it!  

 Above and below:  Two shots of Hemlock Falls. The water hole here had fish in it and frogs! It was sparkling clear and cold! 

Below is a short video of Hemlock Falls in its loveliness.  

Last but not least here is a link to directions on how to reach Hemlock Falls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝