Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Tackett Creek and Primroy Four Wheeling


Southern Red Trillium blooms at Tackett Creek


Tackett Creek and Primroy Four Wheeling

Sunday April 5, 2020

Dana & Kenny Koogler


    I had a notion I wanted to go to Tackett Creek to see Spring wildflowers.
Kenny agreed so we went on a Sunday morning.  It had been a number of years since I was at Tackett Creek.   The drive up there was both prettier and longer than I recalled.   I listened to Kenny ciphering where he wanted to park and go in according to what I hoped to see.     Finally we pulled over at a gravel lot at the top of the mountain.   Parked there and unloaded.  The weather was clear and perfect.  The redbuds were so bright pink under that deep blue sky.
IMG_9600.JPG

Above:Our parking spot on the mountain to unload.
Below:  Straight across from where we parked were tons of redbuds in bloom!
IMG_9601.JPG
   I had forgotten how long the old train track is too.  It was a pretty ride.
The Spring colors in Appalachia are bronze, red, pale green, gold, pink, and white.    spring in the south.jpg

Above: To the person from out of the area these colors don't look right for Spring! The scene looks Fall-ish with those reds and oranges and bronze!
Tackett Ck Railbed Trail.jpg
  Above: the gravel track here that you see is now a road, but it was once a railroad.  The tracks have been taken up, but it is graded on the sides like a railroad track. 

We turned aside down a trail to the left so I could get a look at Tackett Creek.  It was running fast , clear, and jade green.
   
Clear Tackett Creek.jpg
Above: Tackett Creek sparkling green waters on a Spring day.

    The slopes to the right above the old tracks were green and laden with wildflowers.  Lots of ferns, new buds on trees, and one slope covered in Southern Red Trilliums!  I had to stop to check those out.

IMG_9607.JPG
Trillium sulcatum in one big mass on a hillside and below another image of that scene.

IMG_9608.JPG


I also saw Canada violets blooming here.
IMG_9609.JPG

   We drove on down the tracks and saw several spots where water gushed down the bank in wet weather waterfalls.  I don't recall ever seeing these before.


IMG_9615.JPG

Above and below.. two different wet weather falls
IMG_9622.JPG

Next we passed another small waterfall that is real scenic. I do recall seeing this before. 
IMG_9626.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

Another view of that falls.

   We turned into the woods to the right and began our way into the mountain.
I knew the trail was rough, but I had forgotten just how rough.  It has grown worse since the last time I was here thanks to all the usage and the growing popularity of the place. It is being loved to death.

   I was not exactly sure where we were. I have forgotten a lot about the trail system.  I was sure when we pulled up next to the waterfall on Wolfpen Hollow.
It is a nice stop.  Click the link for the info on Tennessee Landforms.



IMG_9648.JPG

Below is a video of that falls.



    We rode around up to the ridge line.   I was glad to see it because the trail smoothes out a little up on the top.   The views were nice and clear, but I was disappointed to find that up at that elevation almost nothing was in bloom!
The trees and flowers were a month earlier up there.  I have visited too late to catch peak bloom. I have caught the flowers peak bloom. Now I can say I have arrived too early!    We stopped at the main overlook for a photo and a glance.
I was quite disappointed.  Kenny has ridden there enough he was not interested in hanging around for the same old same old.   We mosied on up the trail system toward Kentucky.   We'd go on up to Primroy. Maybe we'd see some good wildflowers there.
Below.. view from the main overlook at Tackett Creek.  You are looking across the Powell Valley at Norris Lake and Lafollette in the distance.
lafollette view 2.jpg


    We made it to Clairfield and entered into some real country living areas.
Lafollette is uptown compared to Clairfield.    Folks out this way are strong, self sufficient people for the most part.  You have to be tough to live way out.
I saw lots of structures that intrigued me.  I had to stop to get a photo of a little country church. I don't know if they have services there anymore, but I doubt it.

IMG_9712.JPG

   We found our way down to Clear Fork to check out the river.  We spotted one other couple there before us.  They had the best spot, but we found a place to pull over and sit along the river bank to eat lunch.   It was peaceful and pretty. 
Now remember.. the Rona is going on so national parks closed down.  State parks closed down. Wildlife management areas still open.. which is what Tackett Creek is.   Also the Cherokee National Forest is still open.     So our options for today were somewhat limited.   It came into play in our manners too.  We hung back giving this other couple ample room.    We were responsible social distancers.   

    Once we got done with lunch we proceeded toward Primroy Arch. 
The road before you get to it is of more interest to me than the arch itself.   There are good wildflowers along the road!  The road to Primroy is narrow and curvy here.   You hope to Hannah you don't meet anyone on it.    We hadn't gone far til we began seeing what I'd hoped for.  I found lots of the white form of trillium sulcatum in the past.  I was not disappointed.  I found not only white, but cream to the point of being almost yellow, red ones, and pink and lavender hybrids between the two!   I had not seen any of that the previous trip. 
IMG_9668.JPG
Hybrid T. sulcatum.. the southern trillium
Below the mammy--white one
IMG_9672.JPG
  Below the pappy... red trillium

IMG_9673.JPG
Below a pink hybrid
IMG_9677.JPG
The pair below were truly cream/yellow. I have done nothing to doctor up the photo.  It is not the sharpest image, but the color is true.
IMG_9687.JPG
Below-- cluster of Southern Red Trillium
IMG_9685.JPG

  We approached the intersection where you go to the arch.   The trail trends downward here and then the creek and the trail are one and the same for a bit.
Trail through the woods
IMG_9689.JPG


Below.. this rock is full of small holes!

IMG_9690.JPG

Below-- now the trail and creek are the same
IMG_9691.JPG


  We ended up at the arch on the trail that goes up up up!  We did not bother with Drive In Triple today.   I could not shake the feeling today that despite it having been a long time between trips or having worn out Tackett Creek.  I like seeing new places.   We arrived at the arch and took a quick look at it.  You have to stop short of it and walk to it now. Graffiti and trash and heavy use are taking their toll on the area.   No wonder folks are supposed to have a high impact permit to do this activity.  I'd bet that 80-85 % of folks who come here don't have one.  The chances of seeing a game warden are slim, but I'd not chance it with my luck.

    IMG_9699.JPG


   We went on down to another area where the trail can take you into Kentucky and up to Middlesboro.   Kenny wanted to show me Bottle Rock.  It sounded interesting and at least was something new to me.
Below is my first glimpse of Bottle Rock. It is very odd!

    IMG_9703.JPG
Below-- another vantage point to see Bottle Rock. This side is very mossy.
IMG_9706.JPG

  The area around this formation was beautiful!  The stream was shallow, but super clear and clean.  IMG_9707.JPG


I did not see many wildflowers in this area.  Below is a cluster of long spurred violets that were behind Bottle Rock. 
IMG_9709.JPG

   Below is an image of the star of the flower show for the day.  A pink and white striped Southern trillium.
Primroy Pink and Red Trillium.jpg

     We had a good day, but I was finding myself tiring quickly of the area.
We cut our day a bit short and started back to the truck.   I imagine it will be a long while before I am back here.   Kenny feels about Royal Blue the way I do about Tackett Creek. 
 
    One thing I did notice that was different... along Primroy Road.. someone has built a little grotto by a very small waterfall. 

IMG_9682.JPG
Tiny bird house cabin by the falls
IMG_9683.JPG
A lot of rock work here. Someone has done a commendable thing here, but I can't help wondering why?
IMG_9684.JPG

  We said our good byes to Primroy and Tackett Creek for the day and headed back to the truck and on toward home.

3 comments:

  1. We have some Trillium and small waterfalls on our Kentucky farm. This looks like a beautiful place to hike and I always love seeing wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah.. forgot to say.. Lucky! I'm gonna hafta watch you closer. lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks Michelle for taking time to check out my blog. Kentucky is a lovely state. I had the privilege of staying there for a couple months. It was wonderful. Little Burnside. Only bad thing was I couldn't hike. I was recuperating from a big surgery. It was still a great place to be. I'd like to come back up and stay in Burnside again now that I am able to hike and now that I know what is around!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝