Monday, March 8, 2021

Bridge Hunting Day! Athens Area

 

Bridge Hunting Day!  Athens Area 


Tuesday February 23, 2021

Dana Koogler 

Photos are here: Bridge Pix 





Bridge Hunter Website --under active re-development at present.

10/14/23 While auditing this blog and checking links I thought it a good time to mention the creator of Bridgehunter.. one of my favorite websites passed away. James Baughn.  Here is an article about him by Jon Rust.   He is gone too soon.  It was one of my all time favorite websites.   I hope someone truly does get it up and running again.   I am grateful for James' efforts to create it and keep it going.  Rest in peace James. 


  Lately I've been cleaning up wish lists and visiting things that interest me. 
I saw so much pretty scenery and intriguing spots driving down Hwy 11 the previous week in Athens.  I made up my mind that the first pretty day I was going back down there to capture some photos of the various area bridges.  I had a lengthy list of stuff to see.  I began my day with the thought that the list was probably too long, but that is often the case.   I figured I would see and do what I felt like and hang it up when I got tired.  

      
     I began my trip by heading through Lenoir City and down Highway 11 South toward Loudon.   I wanted to start my day off by photographing the water tank in town and the railroad bridge.    It was a sunny, warm spring like day with pretty blue skies.  It was wonderful to be outdoors.  I walked around the few blocks near the bridges and took pictures to my hearts content.    I think I like railroads and bridges so much because of my upbringing. We went to church and were around the railroad and lived near it.  We also lived near the bridge over South River when I was in Vesuvius.   We swam and played in South River pretty regularly.  

Railroad trestle over Watts Bar lake in Loudon, Tennessee. 

    I stood on the current day automobile bridge to get this shot.   
Above: the water tower is very near the bridge

Below: I am not sure what this structure is. but it looks a lot like the river gauges I've seen near home.   


      
   Once I'd finished getting photos from the main bridge I went a couple blocks over and found a vacant lot to park a tad closer.  I walked up to the tracks and along them just enough to get some photos of the truss part of the trestle.  
While I was there I heard a train in the distance, but never did see it though I hung around a bit in the hopes I'd get a video or some photos of it. 

Above: Warren truss bridge portion of the railroad trestle.   It is part of the Norfolk Southern Railway.
Below is a very brief video of the bridge.


    


  Once I had crossed these items off my list I continued down Hwy 11 south toward Route 68.  My next stop was the ancient bridge over Big Sewee Creek.   I had seen photos others had taken of the pretty stream with all that green water.  I wanted to go when I had an optimal chance of seeing it like this.    I had no trouble finding it. Bridgehunter is a great resource that I use frequently.   I might not make a special trip just to go see a bridge, but while in a given area I will add it to the collection of things to see.  Hwy 68 has some old railroad tracks along it.  I watched closely for those, but because I was driving and no longer a passenger, I was unable to spot them.   I'll have to do that another time.  They run a long way!

   Once I got off route 68 west and began winding my way back through the countryside it was mostly agricultural land and some very narrow twisty roads. It was pretty scenery the entire way.   
Below is a shot of the current day bridge over Big Sewee Creek. I was blessed to find a pull off near the bridge so I could take my time exploring. I was also fortunate to find the creek as green as jade today!

Below: current day auto bridge over Sewee Creek.

Below: Sewee Creek is like a green ribbon under blue skies.  
The trees surrounding the stream are coated in fuzzy green moss.

Below:  The former bridge over Sewee Creek is now just piers and iron railings.







above: I am standing on the first set of supports. 

Below:  a pretty shot of the stream and the bridge above me. 
     

Below is a brief video of the bridge and the quiet, pretty country where it sits.
You can hear the frogs singing and waking up.  You can hear the murmur of the stream.  Birds singing.



   Once I got done here I sat down in the jeep and looked to see how far away my next destination was.  I was heading to Henley Mill Bridge and my google maps indicated it was a little under three miles away.    I had no trouble at all locating it and enjoyed the sunny drive on winding country roads.  Again I was blessed to find a good pull off so I could get out and take pictures without worrying about traffic or being in the way.   It is a very isolated rural spot so while there is a house nearby it is ok to visit here.   The land around the bridge is posted, but the bridge itself is open for driving or visitation.  Interestingly Big Sewee Creek is the stream that flows under this bridge as well!

Above: pretty restored bridge.. Henley Mill Bridge and I read that at one time it was also called King's Mill Bridge.  

Above: Big Sewee Creek under pretty blue skies again!  
Below: I took a close up shot of the bridge structure because it is growing lichen on it!  I am gathering up this stuff to make a medicine.  It is old man's beard lichen or usnea.  It has antiviral, antimicrobial properties. 


Below is a very pretty video of the Henley Mill Bridge and the tranquil setting where it is found. 




   Below: the road that comes down to Henley Mill Bridge was a pretty scene by itself.  The copper beech leaves really dressed up the dull forest. 

  Once I was done here I headed back toward Hwy 68 and took a few shortcuts I'd noticed along the route.   I was able to hit Mt. Verd Road and drive toward Athens as opposed to returning all the way to Hwy 11.   It was a gorgeous drive over hilly country on a wide, straight road.   I saw lots of pretty farms and homes.  
It put me out exactly where Mark Gilreath had pointed out the Cleage Cemetery for me.  I stopped there and did my photos of the graves and cemetery for the blog entry on the history of the Cleage House and family.   
Below is the main marker in the cemetery.. the one for Samuel Cleage and wife Mary.  

above: little iron fence in the cemetery.. not sure what it was for


  I had planned on seeing two additional things today.  Next was to be 
the McClatchy Woolen Mill and some buildings near it which were further southwest.  I figured I could get that and Trews Store and finish up with the Old Federal Road bridge near Etowah.    I had grown tired and realized I had the drive home.   I had indeed bitten off more than I could chew.   No matter. They weren't going anywhere so I stopped to eat lunch and then headed home. 

    I encountered several things today that will no doubt spark future trips. So much for shortening up the list, eh?  
Above -- the gates at the abandoned Tennessee Military Academy. Military Schools were quite common in Virginia where I am from, but this is the first one I've seen in Tennessee.   Too many Amish, Mennonites,and Quakers here to have many military schools.  
Above: A view of the Tennessee Military Academy across the sage field between it and the road.  Perhaps one day I will return and walk up there to check it out.  It does intrigue me.  I'm not much on Urbex (Urban exploration), but the history of this place might make it worthwhile.  


     I also noticed a bridge beneath Hwy 11 in Sweetwater that I was not counting on.  I could not see an easy way to get round there to it so it will have to wait til another time.   Keeping up with these things and staying organized is one reason I include "notes to self" at the end of trip reports! I refer back to them.

  I got out of Athens alright, but I won't make the mistake I made today again.
I let google take me and I plugged in Madisonville as my next stop.  It took me up Eastanallee  Road which parallels Hwy 411 more or less. It was a pretty drive, but hard to enjoy because it is so narrow.  Being unfamiliar with it I had to look sharp.  I was so glad to get on Hwy 68 and head toward a wider road where I could put the hammer down and head home.  All in all it was a fun and relaxing day that put me in a fantastic mood.  

   I stopped at Alot Less Factory Outlet and got all my Spring cleaning supplies at a bargain basement prices. I love that place and need to check out their Ten Mile location.  

   We wrapped up our evening by having a nice home cooked meal and watching TV and talking and laughing.  Life is good. 
        
Future Trip Notes:
  • Bridge over Sweetwater Creek
  • Eureka Rail Trail Hike
  • Tennessee Military Academy
  • Old Federal Road Bridge
  • McClatchy Woolen Mill
  • Trews Store
  • Cog Hill Grist Mill 

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful day to read about and watch and listen. Those copper leaves and green River really caught my eye. Great adventure and upbeat ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! I am glad you enjoyed it. I have really gotten hooked on bridge hunting, but wildflower season is rapidly approaching so there will be more of that sort of thing. I am keen to return to the area and see that Federal Road bridge and Eureka Rail Trail though! I will provide directions to those things. I may go back in and give waypoints to the bridges. They are ok to visit so there is no reason not to.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝