Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Gobey March 21, 2021

Flowering quince blooms beside Gobey Road



Gobey -Four Wheeling & Spring Wildflower Hunting 


 Sat. March 21, 2021

Dana Koogler solo

Gobey 2021 Pix are here 

(cued up to the first picture in this series click right arrow to advance)


  Kenny is still going strong on this job site he is tied to.  It will be coming to a close in about a week or ten days, but I had another Saturday to occupy myself. I thought about what I wanted to get into.  I decided I wanted to try going to Gobey all by myself.   I wanted the quiet and beauty I would find there. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it alone.   I could get an idea how the bloom was progressing.

  I could see the pretty green waters of the Emory River again.   I had reviewed some bookmarked material and photos on the computer. I realized we had missed Mahan Village completely.  I knew it was there, but it still had a building left and we missed it.  Once I saw that it was settled in my mind.  I reviewed the map as to the position where Mahan Village should be and got waypoints ready.   I prepped my gear and laid it all out.   Next morning I packed up the jeep and headed out to Morgan County.  The drive is an easy one with pretty scenery most of the way.

      I had thought I was going to hunt up a missed bridge in Wartburg, but decided to save that for later in the day if I still felt like doing it.    I arrived at the turn for Gobey to see a whole lot of folks preparing to take off riding in RZR's.   I pulled over at the first bridge to take photos of the river.   They passed me flying down the road.   I noticed that I was way early for flowers as I suspected.  The areas I was seeing were brown, dead, and not one green thing popping up. 

Above:  The Emory River was indeed green today, but instead of being the beautiful green or blue-green it was milky green.   We'd had a lot of rain the previous day so no surprise there the water would be turbid.

            I continued out the road and went through the expected moment of self doubt "Am I going the right way?". said my internal monologue.   A moment or so more and I began to see familiar houses and the confusion and doubt cleared up.
I stopped to take a photo of my favorite red barn.   It is an odd shape, but there are not one.. but two of these in the area.

   Below is the pretty red barn with the airplane hangar design!


  It was a bluebird day with pretty clear skies, sunshine, and cool temperatures.  
I had a nice breeze. I was enjoying seeing daffodils all along the road. The rural scenery alone is worth the drive out here in any season.   I soon came to an old cabin up on the slope above me.   Someone has really cleaned this abandoned home site up and got it looking better.   A garage of new construction was just over from this cabin.
Below: log cabin sitting above the main road.  

  I proceeded up the road and soon arrived at the first gate which is Sang Branch.  I wanted to go across to see the old stone walls, and check for wildflowers on the opposite side of the river in the sandy soil.   I was able to ford the river here without any difficulty and didn't even end up with any water in the floorboards. 
I stopped as soon as I was across and pulled over to the side out of the way.
 I took time to walk up the trail and explore.  Forsythia shrubs were blooming all around.  Mainly they were on the opposite side of the branch.  I did not go over there to look, but from all appearances I am betting it was a home site.   The stone walls next to the stream were covered in furry green moss.   I saw lots of trout lilies up and in bud, but not open yet.   I saw lots of toothwort and a few sprouted daffodil leaves.   The stream itself was running well and was nice and clear. 







mass of forsythia blooms at Gobey

Above: mass of forsythia blooms against a blue sky. You can se the mossy stone wall in the background.  Beyond this was likely a house.

Below: beautiful Sang Branch flows down the mountain to join the Emory River.

Below: a look out across the field at the long, long rock wall next to the stream!

Above: Sang Branch spills into the Emory River
Above: first sweet betsy trillium of 2021!
Above: bloodroot opening up by the stream.

   I continued my journey by fording back to the main road and going upstream toward the next gates.  They begin #1 Sang Branch and go up to #5 ending with Emory River Headwaters out near the site of a former coal plant. 

Below is a video of Sang Branch today

      Next I turned aside to one of the many roads on the left.  It had a pretty creek flowing down along it.  I wanted to explore to see what I'd find.  I did not find much, but did get out and stroll along the creek bank enjoying the woods and the few wildflowers I saw.  They are still very early up here.   I saw toothwort, trout lilies in tight bud, and a few long spurred violets.    The stream itself was spectacularly clear.  I loved the sound of it as it flowed over rocks and tiny cascades.  
Below: a look at the creek and how clear the waters were!


Below is a look at some toothwort
And below a pretty Confederate violet


  I returned to the main road and went on up toward the north western end for it eventually dead ends for vehicle travel.   A rough four wheeler trail continues and can take you out to Devonia if you know how to follow it.   I've never been all the way through there. I'm not sure Kenny has either.    I stopped off next at Macedonia Church. I got out to walk around and stretch my legs.   I was getting hungry so I enjoyed the sunny spot to have my sandwich and something cold to drink.    I walked down to check out the crosses by the church and the view upstream of the river.

Below is a short video of this sparkly stream


Above: Macedonia Church 


Above: three wooden crosses by the church. Perfect here at Easter time!
Above: Looking upstream on the Emory River behind Macedonia church.  I noticed how the river is looking muddy and murky the further up I went. 


  Next I continued and came to a huge quince bush by the road which was in full flower.  It was so pretty.  I stopped to check this  out and get some photos.  Behind me was a nice view of the mountains to the northwest.  


Above: the pretty view of the sky and the mountains
Below: biggest quince bush I ever saw!

Below: a closer look at the coral colored blooms with their bright yellow centers. Quince is a fruiting shrub.  Quince was planted as ornamentation for yards back in the day and almost always means there was a house at a spot where you see these.  The fruit also makes a nice tart jelly which I like! 

  I had been counting gates and knew  I should be getting close to gate #4 and Rayder Branch which is near the site of the old Mahan Village.   It was a thriving community at one time. Gobey is now a ghost town compared to its former glory days of the lumber and coal industry.   Now there are far less people living in the area.  You find a lot of gas wells in the vicinity.     

  I did not try to ford the stream at gates 3 or 4.  Not much across there I wanted to see plus the stream bank drops off steeply.  I was trying to be somewhat careful as I had no phone signal, and was a long way from help if I got stuck.   Just past the gate for Rayder Branch I ran upon what I'd been looking for... Mahan Village!  It sits immediately by the road in easy view! The only thing left is a set of bridge supports and one old building which was the former company store.  I could not explain how we managed to miss this on previous trips?  The area had been freshly cleared of excess brush and weeds around the old structure.  It almost had to be buried heavily beneath vegetation.   I was careful where I drove since the bush hog activity had left sharp pongee sticks protruding from the ground.  I walked back through the field to check out the bridge supports where the railroad crossed Rayder Branch.   I inspected the old store building.   It is a mess of broken glass.


Above: old store building in clear view of the road

 Below: a look inside revealed tons of broken glass

Below: the door is gone and the block wall is damaged.
Below: the far end of the company store building is also blown out. if the front looked anything like this when we were here before no wonder we missed it!
Below: one of two bridge supports just this side of Rayder Branch

  Next I continued toward the end of the road and my turn around spot.  This section is not as pretty or interesting in my experience or opinion.   Gate #5 was shut today which did not matter to me.  I walked over to look for wildflowers. I found a few.  The creek up here was like the Platte River out west. in Nebraska....  Too thick to drink.. to thin to plow.  
Below: a look upstream revealed the Emory River Headwaters to be murky, muddy brown!  

Below is a look at the bridge that crosses the Emory River at Gate #5

Below: rue anemone blooms in this area 
Below: another Sweet Betsy trillium

 I stopped here and lingered awhile enjoying the quiet.  I finished up my lunch. 

I then reversed course and headed back.  I stopped off by a few of the side roads to the left to explore, but did not find much.   It was fun running through the mud and splashing.  My jeep handled great.  


   I stopped by an old chimney at a former homesite to get some photos. 

I got to see the old tater hole, the chimney, lots of pioneer junk including the coils from a mattress, old tin cans, glass jars and bottles, corrugated tin from a roof, and the former sidewalk and steps!  The daffodils bloomed all around this pretty spot.  It must have been something to see back in the day.   


Above: a mossy set of steps where the house used to stand.  Daffodils in full bloom. Wonder how long ago they were planted?  My guess would be the 1930s. 

Above: old brick chimney of the house ruins
Below: tater hole that was beneath part of the old house

Lastly at the house ruins... there is a pretty spring branch that flows down the hill. I am betting this was their water source.


  Just past the old house site and chimney... was a narrow, rough gravel pull off that goes down to the river.  It is a very pretty spot.   I took a chance and pulled the jeep down there. It just barely had room enough to go on the trail, but it handled the rocky, loose dirt just fine.  I had neither trouble going down nor coming up out of there.  It surprises me how much traction and torque that little machine has.  I got my jeep turned around after a 17 point turn technique in the tight space.  I wanted to be heading the right direction in case anyone else pulled down here.  I needn't have worried. I saw very few vehicles all day.     I gathered my camera gear and walked down to the river to take pictures and shoot video footage.

      The Emory River is pretty and blue here sometimes. Today it was milky green , but still pretty.  A low, wide cascade crosses the stream here.  Just below that are a set of bridge supports from the former Emory River Lumber Company railroad.
If you go on down past that there is a nice fishing hole in the bend of the river.

Above; pretty cascade across the Emory River

Above: Looking downstream at the bridge supports . 

Below is a nice video of the cascade 

  I did not stick around here today as much as I thought I would. The river was milky looking. No wildflowers were in bloom.  I was a tad bit concerned wondering if my jeep was going to come up out of that hole?  It bit in and went up out of there just fine.   I was getting a little tired and thought I'd just head home, but I passed a spot where I could see another cascade and a second set of old bridge supports.  I couldn't stand it so I pulled over.   I'm glad I did.   I walked out the former railbed to the end where what is left of the old bridge stands. 

      Below: former railbed is flat as a fritter going straight out through the forest.  The sides are built up and gently sloping.   Once at the end there is a faint path off the side and down to the stream. 


    
Above and below: a couple sidelong glances at the bridge and cascade



  Below: there is nothing like standing by these old bridge abutments to help you realize how large they truly are


  I wanted to get a different photo and video of this spot than I had previously.
I took a look around and found a spot downstream where the river split in two around a gravel bar.   It was a much shorter, shallower spot to ford the stream.  
I  picked my way across quick and careful and only ended up with a slightly damp heel.    I was able to position myself to get some good images.

Above: the river down here at this spot was far prettier than anywhere else today.  It was cleaner and clearer.   I hope to have a chance to return to see flowers as they emerge and catch the river looking its best!  

Below is another look at the supports on the far side of the stream
   

And below is a last shot of the beautifully colored and textured pebbles in the stream near the gravel bar. 



  I concluded my day with a leisurely drive back through the rural setting of farms, houses, old buildings, and pretty Spring flowers in yards.   I stopped off in Oliver Springs briefly to get half dozen items I needed so I did not have to go in the grocery store proper.   I wanted to get home because Gabriel, our grandson and my granddog Tippy.... his pup were coming to spend the night.  We planned to go to church the next day.     Gabe was not happy with me when he found out where I'd been.  I confessed to him and Kenny that I got confused on which road to the left lead up to the waterfalls we found last year.   This was the only thing that got me out of hot water with Gabe.  He knows now that he must return with me and Papaw to show me which way to go.    All in all it was a very nice day and so relaxing. 
I missed Kenny, but we will try to make time for a return trip and a picnic.   

Final photo is a picture of Gabe & Tippy when they woke up on Monday.  Two cuties! We had so much fun playing. 

Gabriel age 4 and Tippy age 1.  Up and getting ready for preschool.  This is his room at our house. 


        Below is a video of the last spot in the river where I stopped and waded out. 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝