Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Lost Creek Mercantile --Country Store Blog Series

 



Lost Creek Mercantile --Country Store Blog Series

Jan. 30, 2021


Dana Koogler


Lost Creek Mercantile Info Page

They are now opening two Saturdays per month.

The next open dates will be Saturday March 13th and March 27th.

Hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. 

   I decided I wanted to go up to New Market to see this pretty little country store. 

It had such good reviews and the photos of their merchandise were amazing.  I wanted to see for myself.   By the time I got ready to go the place was only opening for one Saturday per month.   This had to do with the covid having hurt their business as well as Wintertime not being a great tourism/shopping time.

It was not too far, but it was about an hours drive from my house.   I carefully selected other area businesses and attractions I could check out while up that way.

Make a day of it I thought.    I got in contact with the owners to be 100% sure they would be open. They were very responsive.  I planned my visit for the single Saturday they'd be open at the end of the month.

    I took the suggested route up to New Market up through Seymour from my home.   It was a good way to go and a pretty drive on a dreary, cold, gray Saturday.

Lots of interesting scenery along the way.   I made note of several spots I might come back by and photograph on the return trip. 

    I arrived in New Market about the time they were open.   I had no trouble locating the place.  Though it was busy already they had additional parking around back of the building.     It was a nice feeling to arrive to a cozy country store bustling with activity!


Turn the corner and park round back.  Tight quarters, but we all fit! It is in a residential area so watch your speed and for people!


Above: I am looking back down Churchview Street toward Hwy 11 from the store front. This is little New Market, TN.  
Above: all parking spots out front already taken!  Seems a lot of other folks had been waiting to come here and had the same idea. This made me feel good for the owners! 
Above: Side view of the store and below: a front on shot of the main entrance. 


Above: the local newspaper for Jefferson County.  Many folks don't take a newspaper any longer. I occasionally buy one and enjoy it, but I no longer subscribe.  


    I  walked into the front of this quaint country store and it was standing room only!  Early on a Saturday they were packing them in.  Social distancing protocols were in place. Everyone patrons and the owners practicing these so it was very relaxed and cheerful, but safe.   Everyone was polite and courteous and working with one another to get around in the little store which turned out to be larger than it looked!    I had let the owners know ahead of time the purpose for my visit.  I wanted them to know I had planned to write about them and take photos. I did not want to be in the way or intrude.   I was glad I told them in advance for I felt fully welcomed and free to do my thing.  I was careful to shop and take photos and move along so I did not create a bottleneck in the store's traffic flow.  

    It all worked out great.  Me and the other customers were visiting with one another.   Making deals with the owner who was extremely accomodating.  We were trading things around.. Here, I'll buy this one. You buy that one as this one is your favorite.  How would you ever find that atmosphere at a Wal-Mart or franchise store?  Loads of handmade crafts and gifts.   Fresh local products. Unique items. Antiques.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I will definitely return if the opportunity presents itself again. 

        I managed to find a lot of cute gifts for my sister Valerie's upcoming birthday.

I got some great deals on local made grits, artisan soaps, tea towels, hot pads, soap dishes, wooden spoons, and more.  By the time of this writing I have given her the gifts and they were a hit.   

Above: a fine selection of Naked Bee natural soaps, lotions, chapsticks, balms!
Above: local jellies, jams, pickles, relish, stick candy and honey
Above and below: Still some great deals on Christmas ornaments and decoration! Now is the time to buy them at a low price!






Above: beautiful antique china
Above: local made jewelry




Above; Handmade sets of days of the week tea towels.. the no lint kind!  Very pretty and functional.  Super absorbent, but won't put fuzz on your dishes or glasses! Though these were a set the owner graciously split up one of them so me and another lady could buy them individually.  It was especially considerate. 
Above: a corner filled with china, glasses, and artificial greenery for sale.
Above: attractive, well displayed vintage items! 
Above: another view of the aprons, hot pads, blankets, vintage picnic sets, oil lamps, and wreath hangers. 
Above: close up of a vintage picnic set. Already marked down $20 less!
Above: railroad lanterns and old insulators from electrical lines!


Above: a handmade antique doily.  They had a lot of these kinds of goodies.  Though they are not widely used today they are pretty and I have sewed them onto throw pillows, made covers for my porch swing and put these on there as decorative accents.  Pinterest has some fine ideas of how to incorporate these old items into your modern home to make them work!
Above: I even see a picnic basket.. some light covered, wrought iron and enamel ware!
Above: Tennessee art
above: I am always looking for good wrought iron hooks and decorative touches.  
Above: I got Val one of these adorable old fashioned tub soap dishes, a wall soap dish in enamel ware.. and got one for myself!  
Above: behind the door a mark down on all these wonderful soaps and goatmilk lotions.  There is on the top shelf the wall hanging enamelware soap dish I got Valerie.  If I go back I may get one for myself and my parental units.  It would be especially handy outdoors by the hose in Summer. 
Above: I bought stone ground local grits. They have been delicious and fresh. 
Above:  they had beverages for sale
They were selling Kunzler bacon, ham pieces, roll Amish butter.  I bought butter today! Next time I'm getting some Kunzler bacon.  It is better than Benton's in my opinion. It is slightly less smoky and doesn't leave the entire house smelling like bacon all day long.  
Above: Check out time. Everyone waiting their turn patiently.  I insisted the lady with the little boy go ahead of me.  He was getting fussy and wanting out of there. I know how it feels to have little ones getting worn out while in town. 
Above: a local lady sews these sets of tea towels and pot holders, coasters!  I bought some of these. 
antiques and t shirts on sale.  
Above: They have lots of the popular farm house chick items!  Valentines day items too!
Above: gift baskets, soap dispensers, home decoration, barbecue sauce, wooden bowls, teas. 
Above and below: Valentines and country dishes



Above: good looking souvenir shirts of this cool store.  They did not have my size so I will have to check back.  
Above:  photos of the Stapletons, Kim, David and their family. Their grandson was helping run the store the day I was there.  They are an awesome, sweet Christian country family.  David was recovered from covid, but doing very well praise be! They couldn't be any more welcoming.  They started this store because they wanted other folks to have a chance to experience the kind of wonderful country stores they recall from their childhood. I appreciate that so much because I grew up going to places like this.  My grandpa had a store next to the house. 
Above; Snack items for sale and Kawliga the Wooden Indian! ( click the link for the Charley Pride version of the song. I wanted to marry Charley Pride when I was a little girl. Handsome devil and voice smooth as chocolate silk.) 
above:  The check out counter with a barrier for protection against the rona.  Maybe a year from now we won't need this anymore!! vaccines are on the way and case numbers are dropping statewide. Everyone keep being vigilant and doing their part and get your vaccine when you can!  

Above: cute little feller is wanting to get out  of the store with his new toy cars!


   I had a marvelous time and left with a couple bags of items.   Go see this fine establishment, but check their Facebook page prior to going.  They are very responsive on Facebook messenger as well.  They can answer your questions prior to your trip.  

   Lost Creek Mercantile is located at :

936 Churchview St. 

New Market, TN

phone is : 865-262-9040

Directions: 

From Interstate 81-- easiest way is to take exit 4 from White Pine at the Pilot Fuel Center and after exiting turn right at the bottom of the ramp onto Hwy 341 for about 1/4 mile.  Then turn LEFT onto Hwy 66 Chuckey Pike aka Valley Home Road and stay on that for 7 1/2 miles and turn LEFT onto Hwy 11 E for five miles.

Turn RIGHT onto Churchview St. and Lost Creek Mercantile will be on the RIGHT in about a block and a half.  Small white frame building.

Parking out front and round the corner in the back lot.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝