Thursday, March 11, 2021

Rock Creek Double Trestle and Crooked Fork More Steel Rails

 


One of the clamps that helps hold the rails down on the railroad. 



Rock Creek Double Trestle and  Crooked Fork More Steel Rails


Saturday February 27, 2021


Kenny & Dana Koogler

Pictures are here Rock Creek Trestle Pix 





Bridge Hunter Page for Morgan Co, TN


  We had such a great time on Valentines Day when the opportunity presented itself to go again we both agreed we wanted to go back.  We wanted to try to see a few of the spots we had missed.  Kenny had put some thought into how much he wanted to reach Old Tunnel 22.  He originally looked at the map with me from Satellite view and asked "Doesn't that look like a gate?"  To which I had to agree.  So it appeared the only way we were going to reach that tunnel was via fording the river.    

    Today we parked at a better spot with more room.   We found a vacant lot in town on a Sunday where no one was going to be bothered by us.   We have the RZR tagged for low to moderate speed roads so we were able to putt around from the parking spot toward the spots we wanted to visit.   I asked to stop by Old Highway 27.  I had not realized there was an abandoned stretch of road and a bridge there.   It was not great, but I wanted to be able to say I'd seen it. 


Above: Pretty green Emory River.  This is the view from the Old U.S. 27 bridge. 

Below:  this is the bridge itself.  

Below:  I found an interesting composition for a bridge photo.  This poor bridge has seen its better days. 



    The thing I most wanted to see today was the Rock Creek Double Trestle and Rock Creek itself.   I had run across someone else's photos of the stream and saw an opportunity to enjoy the sight of more green water.  I figured it would be a great photo op.  The day was misting rain, overcast and foggy.  It was threatening heavy rain toward evening.  We put our wish list in order of importance and motored onward toward an old road in Lancing that would provide access to see the trestle.

     We found it without any difficulties.  It is in a little pocket of Lancing off the beaten path.    We no more pulled up and I got a couple shots of the trestle empy when a train approached!  I had so hoped I'd get to see one cross here.  Today we were in luck!  A big freight train rumbled across the trestle and I was able to get a good video. Below is that video.



Below is the first photo I took of the double trestle just before the train arrived.


Below: a shot of the supports and the river below


Below is a shot of the train crossing the tracks


And below the end of the train as it heads on down the line. It is north bound.



   We made our way carefully down the embankment on the right side of the trestle.  It was a little slick and intimidating.  The ground was not as crumbly as I'd thought it might be.  Once we were over into the woods and had trees to hang onto it became easier.   We passed more of that communication equipment discarded down over the bank.  It seems whatever they don't use they just leave it laying around.  Old rail spikes, clamps, rails, tanks, telephone poles, and cross ties.

      


Below: a rock outcrop that sat under the trestle.   Once we were down far enough you could look over there and see someone was using it as a camp.   I would not have gone near it for all the tea in china.  


   I looked over to my right once I reached the bottom.  There sat some type huge concrete enclosure like a tank.  I foolishly walked over and looked down in it. 
I wished I had not.  I saw something furry and wet floating in the corner in water. 
I had the same concerns about that tank that I did the mattress rolled up under that bluff.   I was afraid we'd find a corpse down here, but thankfully we did not. I know that is morbid, but the thought did cross my mind. 




   


Above: Looking straight up at the train passing over head. 
Above: The upstream view on lovely Rock Creek.  The fog really adds to it. 
Above: Looking downstream on Rock Creek's green waters.  It was all I had hoped for and more.  I liked that they left the old stone piers of the former railroad trestle. 
Above: a view of the double trestle and you can just see that odd concrete tank.

Above: Looking downstream through the fog on Rock Creek.  
    

  We walked around and checked out the area.  At last we had to begin the climb back out.  Kenny insisted we ascend on the opposite side saying it was not as slick.
I obediently followed.  It was not as slippery, but it also was steeper and had nothing to hold on to. No place to rest.  My poor legs were in knots of charley horses by the time we got up to the top.  I had the Gumby legs.  I was mighty glad to see the top again and some flat ground. 

Above is the climb we had to make. No photo can really show how bad it is and how steep. You can see Kenny up there tiny in the distance and me ... down here toiling bravely up the hill.  I was determined. 

   We moved on from Rock Creek toward Lancing and the trail Kenny believed would get us to Old Tunnel 22.   I was not holding my breath.  I really wanted to see that one and was afraid to get my hopes up.    Thankfully we trucked right along and ended up coming out right at the tunnel.   It is an awesome spot!  
I just liked everything about the setting.  
  
  The forest itself was pretty. The rock bluff it was cut into was pretty and very rugged.   The tunnel was attractive and mysterious looking in the fog.  
Kenny had remembered to bring lights so we could go on through. Off in the distance we could see flashes of the glimmering green Emory River.  White capped waves and foam could be glimpsed through the coppery beech leaves still clinging to the branches of trees.   We found an entire stack of those number caps they used to put up to indicate the tunnel number.    Left there to rust.   We went through and it was nice and dry thankfully.     You can hear water dripping, but it is on the sides and only a little bit.   

Below is a video of the walk through the tunnel.   On our way back through a train passed through the other tunnel on the live rail line nearby!  What a rumble!  It was an eerie and kinda cool experience.  It definitely got our attention.
 

Larry Johnson, I am talking to you at the end of this video! 😀



Rock outcrop near the tunnel
Above: my favorite view of Old Tunnel 22. South portal
Above: The Emory River is just gorgeous!
Above: Let's see.... ? I can have six more tunnels since I have six more number plates! 
Above:  Now we are looking at the old abandoned railroad crossing over the Emory River from the opposite side.  

Above: Hiking out the railbed beyond the north portal of Old 22
North Portal of Old Tunnel 22. Kenny preparing to hike back through. This is about when the train started through the other tunnel next to us!
Foggy view as we near the south end on the return trip!
Above: a spider was in this hole. No kidding!  



Above: emerging from the tunnel on the way out.  A little water at the start, but not bad. 
Above: a foggy view out over Morgan County on our ride to have lunch. 

    We got our butts back to the RZR and left outta there.   We were getting hungry. Kenny wanted to motor on so we could fit more stuff into the day before the rain hit.   We went out through Lancing and toward the back side of Wartburg to Montgomery Road bridge where we pulled over to eat lunch.  It was a right pretty spot out of the way.   That ham and salami sammidge was good and fueled us up for the next half of our day.  

  I took a moment to photograph the river and the bridge here before we left. 
Below: current day Montgomery Road bridge over the Emory River

Above:  if you look across the river you can see where the bridge used to cross. The rock foundation is still there. 
Below: a glance upstream on the Emory River.  


  Once we were done with lunch we had a choice to make.. we figured we could either go hunt up tunnels 19 and 20 or head toward Nemo and visit Crooked Fork Trestle.  I had never seen anyone's photos of it.  We only realized it was there from studying the map in preparation for the trip.  Two, two count 'em.. two map nerds.  
Good thing I married one.  

    Tunnels 19 and 20 did not seem as interesting as Crooked Fork Trestle so off we sped toward Nemo.   There were lots of people here today.   Parking lot was packed.   We headed down along the railroad tracks again.   On the way we glanced at the falls we'd seen a week ago, but did not stop to take pictures.  It is worth mentioning that the graffiti on the current day tunnel 24 is gone! Someone painted over it.  Yay!  and Thank you to whomever did that good deed. 

       We heard water about halfway to the trestle and noticed a wet weather falls we had not expected.   We did stop to take a look at that. It was right pretty.
Below is a short video of it. 


 
Above: nice wet weather waterfall just before Crooked Fork 


    The terrain on the left of the tracks where we were got tight so we listened and looked and carefully crossed the tracks.  It was scary.  I didn't like it.  
Once we had the machine safely away from the tracks we recrossed and walked the cross ties toward the trestle.   Always listening out for trains approaching. 
We did not tarry here.  I took a look up the river at the power of the stream.  I snapped a few quick pictures of the trestle and that was enough for me.  I knew based on the time another train was likely to come through soon.   We hurried back to the RZR.   Once there we got in and the rain began just to drizzle.   We sat in the dry  and a train came!  I made a cool video of it crossing the trestle. I couldn't believe our luck today!   

    Below is the Crooked Fork Trestle video.
 


Above: Kenny walking toward the trestle.. southbound on the tracks
Above: Crooked Fork Trestle is a powerful looking structure! 
Above: Crooked Fork thunders beneath the trestle and into the Emory .  It looks scary at this water level. 
Above: a train is coming! We're going to get to see one cross!


Above: a quick photo of the train as it passed.

      Once the train went by we quickly recrossed and headed back toward Nemo Bridge.   I did not like crossing here any better this time.   I think everything we did today is one and done.   

     Once we got back toward the Nemo bridge we parked and walked down along the river to see Nemo Rapids.  You can see them well from the bluff above the river.  I wanted to go see them up close.  They sit on a nice little beach area with sand and pebbles.  Fog swirled and crept along the surface of the water.  
  
  I drew a face in the sand as I have done in the past.  I made black teeth using coal chunks.  

Above: sandy beach area at Nemo Rapids
Below: my bad teeth smiley face 

Above: The mighty Emory River and Nemo Rapids. 
Above: The mist floats around the mountains in the distance
Fog creeping over the face of the water
I liked the rooster tail this rapid was throwing up. 
 Above: Fog surrounding us.  
Below: I stopped to take a photo up under the modern road bridge of Nemo Bridge. 

  We enjoyed the scenery here.  I felt satisfied after having seen the rapids.   I got some good photos and video.    The rain began to come down now so we headed back to the RZR.  We still had to get back to where we had parked.  Kenny made all the right turns this time so it was much simpler.  We sometimes feel like Wartburg is Downtown "You Cain't Git Thar From Hyere"  Norma, Tn is another place like that! 

      What a fun day!  We made it back to the truck. All was fine. Nobody messed with anything.   I helped Kenny load the machine and strap it down.  Last trip I was all over it. Today I had gone stupid and bumble, fumbled around with the straps like I'd never used them before.  I knew the question was coming. Sure enough Kenny says "What's going on over there?"  "arrgh!" was my response and then I burst out laughing.  Getting silly did nothing to help me fix it, but I finally got it done.    
    
        The things we did not do today: 
Tunnel 19
Tunnel 20
Did not get to see the mill dam over Rock Creek
Did not take time to go hunt the waterfall behind the campground.
All things to look forward to another time. 

      I will wrap up the trip report with a final video.. the one of Nemo Rapids.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝