Friday, January 28, 2022

Dry Creek Falls Hike



icicles on a bluff

Icicles on the bluff by Dry Creek Falls



Dry Creek Falls  Hike & Directions 

 Wednesday Jan. 26, 2022


Dana Koogler and Jay Walker

3 mile round trip moderate hike 


Dry Creek Falls Photos 


Dry Creek Falls Directions 


   One of my New Year's Resolutions was to make a sincere effort to be better connected to friends and family.  I have done a good job so far, but it is early in the year.  No time to let up now.   I went hiking with TennGreen and friend Gary Free on Saturday.  We were tired and cold and it was late in the day so we opted to only go as far as Rylander Cascade after our Dog Cove hike.  I talked to Jay on the phone and via Facebook messenger.  We made plans to go visit Dry Creek Falls on Wednesday morning.   It is the perfect time of year for it since these water flow of these falls dries up at times of low rainfall.     I had only been once before, but Jay had never been.  I found out Saturday that Ranger Randy Hedgepath had  also never been so I invited him to join us.  He did not show up Wednesday morning so he either did not get the message or he had things to do.  

     We met at the Lost Creek Parking Area around 9:30 am on Wednesday.

We carpooled down to Rylander Cascade parking area a mere quarter mile leaving Jay's SUV at Lost Creek.  I need not have worried that parking was limited at the smaller lot. We only saw one van there this morning and he left before we even got on the trail.    

    It was a cold day that was only supposed to warm up to a high in the mid thirties, but considering the forecast called for the frigid air of a Nor'easter to descend upon us by Saturday morning ..... the temperatures and weather today were ideal!  It was an uphill climb for a portion of the hike so we would warm up a plenty.  

      The trail to Dry Creek Falls passes Rylander Cascade half mile into the hike. 

We turned aside to see the pretty falls, but the afternoon light is certainly better for viewing it.  The morning's dappled light has the cascade in part shade and part sun making for not the best photos.  It was sure good to be spending time with Jay.

He is a fine person to have as a friend.  His appreciation of nature and it's beauty along with his humor really are a blessing.    We stood for a few minutes soaking up the pretty sight of Rylander Cascade flowing down the lower part of the slope.

It comes out of the bank above at a spring, flows down as a falls and re-enters the ground at a swallet.  Dry Creek comes down the holler to this point and also enters the ground being drunk up by the same swallet.  The rock forms and spires here at this little cascade are fascinating. They make for a scene that you just don't find anywhere else.  

Rylander Cascade and rock spire
Rylander Cascade and rock spire

Below is a video of Rylander Cascade

         The hike to Rylander is pretty straight foreward.  It is very rocky, uneven terrain up to this point.   Once we had checked out the cascade we turned right and headed uphill gradually on the path up the holler.  Kenny and I first hiked this several years earlier when there was no trail at all.   It was not the hardest bushwhack we'd ever done, but today having the trail was certainly not wasted upon me.   It was so nice.  This trail also goes in to Virgin Falls from the opposite direction than the usual approach.  The trail parking and use at the upper lot at Scotts Gulf is usually packed and overflowing on weekends.   

     We  pressed on huffing and puffing a bit as we gradually ascended to ground that leveled off in spots.   It was a merciful relief to have a few steps on flat ground.  The trail is well constructed, flagged and signed.  We crossed a few spring seepages and perhaps in two or three spots the trail was a little muddy.    The forest is comparatively open. It allows for some views of the surrounding terrain.  The area is full of pretty rock formations, pretty trees, and occasional views of Dry Creek below.  Now and then you can see the cascades and rills of the stream as it winds its way down the holler among large boulders.  We saw a few pretty pools of water as well as some slides.  

        We arrived at the split where a right turn takes you on toward Virgin Falls and a left turn takes you toward Dry Creek Falls.   It is only 0.30 miles further past Rylander Cascade to this point.   It is unmistakably signed so no worries about missing it.   From here we were encouraged to see we only had 0.70 miles further to Dry Creek Falls.  The day was cool, clear, blue skies, a few puffy clouds and sunshine trying to beam down on us through the forest canopy of Winter.

   We passed a large round opening of a possible cave on our right!

We did not explore it, but stopped to look in.   The trail here is flat and narrow. 

I noted that the path the trail takes is the course Kenny and I took on our return from Dry Creek Falls.  We stuck closer to the stream on our original bushwhack. This was good from the stand point of a.  you get to see all the pretty spots in the creek and b. you don't worry about missing the falls since it is ON this stream. 

   The odd thing about Dry Creek Falls ? It occurs in terrain that has remained somewhat flat and you would not really expect to find a falls, but all it takes for a waterfall is a stream and one topo line.   It is not a huge waterfall, but quite pretty. It is a thirty five foot falls with an upper falls of seventeen feet high. 

         Soon the terrain smoothed out and our trail trended down toward the creek.

It was at exactly the spot where Kenny and I forded the first trip.   You ford in a spot that is only a few inches deep.  It was above the slides and cascades we could see from high on the trail.   The remainder of the hike is on the opposite bank. The closer you get to Dry Creek Falls the more evident it is why you cannot approach from the right.  The bluff line here gets steeper and pinches you off.  

     The forest has changed now from oaks, hickory and poplar to a hemlock gorge.

It is shady and fairytale like. The stream gets prettier here.  The rocks are green from algae and moss.  Placid pools form along it with small rifles and cascades.

The trail is open and soft underfoot most of the way.  We had one small stream to cross that was an easy step over.   It is a side drainage that flows into Dry Creek from a spring in the headwaters.   

    We heard something mechanized ahead of us like a leaf blower or maybe a chainsaw in the distance.  We never did figure where it was coming from.  

  Soon we approached the falls. We could hear it. I made Jay go first since it was his first time seeing it.   Flat shady woods with a pretty stream is suddenly a nice sized spray of white water spraying over the cut in the bluff!  

Dry Creek Falls silky shot
Dry Creek Falls 35 ft. surrounded by icicles and crusts of ice.

Below is a video of Dry Creek Falls


   

   We spent time enjoying the view here and soaking up the beauty of this scene.
It felt marvelous to be out enjoying life. Each hike and each reconnect with friends restores a piece of my soul I have neglected for months.  I am finding myself and growing healthier with each experience.   I noticed something today I had not paid attention to previously.  There are two fractures in the rock that are somewhat symmetrical. It looks like the rock form that the falls comes over settled creating an inverted  trapezium with its shorter side at the base.  I am guessing water did this, but I am no geologist.   See the image below


Dry Creek Falls with its fracture lines in the bluff

Dry Creek Falls with its fracture lines in the bluff.




Below are a few images of the surroundings. 

jay and the hemlock gorge and pools before the falls
Above:Jay is checking out the creek
icy bluffs
Icicles and downed trees on the bluff
left fracture of dry creek falls
Above: left fracture line at Dry Creek Falls

right fracture line dry creek falls
Right hand fracture line Dry Creek Falls

ice patch back of dry creek falls
Patch of ice by the base of the falls 


    I told Jay the upper falls was a bit further upstream.  I wanted to go see it. I figured trail or no trail we did not walk this far to turn back without seeing it.
It is a mere 250 feet upstream past Dry Creek Falls. Turned out there is a trail .. a good one.. all the way there!  We were delighted at how easy the climb was and the earth under foot was soft duff.  
 
         The upper falls while not as large is as pretty if not moreso.  It is a lovely little cascade with a sparkling clear blue pool at its base.   We enjoyed its beauty and the deep shade of the hemlock forest.  The sun was climbing higher now and it was heading toward noon.  I stood checking out the sunbeams peeping through the forest canopy.  The sun gradually crept to the side of the tree it hid behind. It seemed like a pretty good comparison to what I feel taking place in my heart and mind.  I told Jay how much I appreciated him taking time to come with me.
I realized and said so how when you neglect your friends you lose a little piece of yourself.   He and other friends remind me not to take life too seriously. His sense of humor lets  you know he has figured that out long ago.  He has many facets I am finding.  A deeper faith than I knew.  A man who can think on the serious side of things with wisdom and humor.  A rare and pleasant combination.  

      
upper dry creek falls and blue pool
above: Upper Dry Creek Falls and its blue pool. 
sun beams and forest
The sunbeams peeping down into the hemlock forest over the bluff. Upper Dry Creek Falls. 



    We finally turned and headed back down for our return hike. It was much easier and shorter. No mishaps with anyone falling in the creek! That was good!
The hike back took 45 minutes to an hour. I did not time it precisely. The pace made for easy conversation time.   Jay shared some stories that really blessed me. I need to meet his friend Deb Morgan.  They have been friends far longer and this lady sounds like fun. He says we think a lot alike.  Both deep thinkers.  I hope I get to meet her some day and spend some time with them both.

        We were also discussing looking forward to coming Spring and warmer temperatures.  Planning hikes to see flowers! Yellow lady slippers here we come!

   We have an upcoming family camping trip in March.  I hope we can all get together then since we'll be out in the plateau.  

      We made it back to the vehicle and were ready for lunch. Jay helped me tote the stuff to the side. I set up the pocket rocket stove and heated us up some pasta e fagioli soup. It was good even if I did scorch it a little in the original cooking.  
I told Jay not to attempt to make soup in an enamelware dutch oven. It is just asking for trouble.  I was so impressed with how good it cooked my pot roast I used it for soup. Big mistake.  Low and slow is good... high temperatures are a recipe for disaster! 

      We visited for awhile over lunch, but it was growing colder.  I told Jay I hoped it wouldn't hurt his feelings, but I really did not want to hike in Dog Cove today? He was glad I did not want to. He was tired and cold also.  We packed up the stuff and headed back to his vehicle up the road.  We never saw any other hikers today at all. Not at Lost Creek or Dry Creek.   It was a cold Wednesday in Winter so I guess that is why.    

    I gave my friend a big hug and another thank you.  We had an awesome day.
My knee that had been bothering me was feeling a lot better and I was glad of it.
We parted ways and headed back toward home.  I had thought I'd feel like stopping briefly by Page Cemetery to see the old comb graves, but I did not.  I also did not stop to see the monument to the old house along Highway 70.  I just headed home.
I was cold and a little tired, but very happy.
 
  It also feels good to be writing my blog again.  

Below is a video of Upper Dry Creek Falls.  



          


     


1 comment:

  1. Jay said it was an awesome hike. Glad ya'll had a good time. He was so impressed with the soup that he got ingredients to make us some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝