Friday, July 21, 2023

Adventure Village Camping ---Headwaters State Forest 2023


Adventure Village Camping ---Headwaters State Forest 2023


 Friday July 14 thru 16 2023

Kenny & Dana Koogler 

Michael and Tessa Lindsey


  Since we've been raising our two youngest grandchildren like a second family our eldest two have gotten robbed of special time with us. Just the two of them with us as well as one on one time with us.     We planned to give our daughter Crystal a special gift for her Christmas birthday this year. Back in December we decided to give her tickets for a Date Night to a Thomas Rhett Concert in Knoxville.   Kenny did a lot of studying on this and got them prime seats!   It was to be a whole Date Weekend kid free.    It would provide some couples time for our daughter and son-in-law. It would be an opportunity for us to enjoy the company of our eldest grandchildren without the littles.


      We planned it well in advance.  The kids wanted to revisit Adventure Village and camp. They wanted to visit the O.P. Taylor Toy Store in Brevard.  They wanted to get out and see some waterfalls.   They had never stayed at the campground during the time the pool was open.  We were all looking forward to it.    

     I had planned oral surgery to have a back molar cut out under anesthesia.   I went a couple weeks ago to have it done.   I sensed something was off shortly after entering the building.  My spidey senses started going off.   I looked at my phone for the time. I had been waiting twenty five minutes already.  I had never been kept waiting so long at this place.  I heard a groaning noise.  I am accustomed to being around autistic children so the noise did not upset me.  I just figured don't draw any attention to it.    I heard it again.  I became concerned and stood up to look round the corner.  A  young man was seizing and had bitten the inside of his cheek.  I helped with him a bit.  The technician who has helped with my surgeries in the past took me aside and suggested I reschedule.   She said they were running behind , and did not anticipate this scenario would improve that.  I took her at her word and rescheduled.  The only time I could get was the day we planned to leave to go camping.   I just stuck by it and Crystal took me to have it done.


      My tooth extraction was over pretty quickly. All went well.   I learned that the young man with the seizure was alright.   I went home with some gauze in my cheek and a slightly foggy brain.       We drove over and I slept for the first hour of the trip.  We stopped in Newport for lunch, and by then I was waking up and feeling pretty clear. 

      

                By the time we got over to Brevard and set up, got groceries it was late in the day.

We went by the toy store before they closed, but I knew the kids would not be satisfied with such a short look around.     Tessa got a bracelet making kit. Michael got a Leggo set to build the James Bond Astin Martin car.     We had a good supper, but by 8:45 p.m. I was wiped out.

I went to bed way before the rest of the family.  I slept like a baby.   I woke in the morning with an aching jaw from having gone all night with nothing for pain.  I do not take narcotic pain killers unless I have no alternative.   I took some Motrin Dual and was right as rain.  

          

    


Above: Beautiful daylilies and roses on the street in Brevard.


       We got up on Saturday and went hiking in Headwaters State Forest.  

It was hot and humid. The weather called for typical late afternoon thunderstorms. 

We visited East Fork Falls and Gravley Falls.  Both the kids really enjoyed those. Easy hikes both of them and short.     We had a picnic lunch and then went back to Brevard to do more shopping.

That is what they wanted or so they said.    

   We had icecream at Rocky's Soda Shop.   It was really nice.  


        We went back to the campground and went swimming for a little while before the rain came. It was a heavy thunderstorm with a lot of lightning and wind.  The creek flooded next to the camper.  Kids were riding inner tubes down that muddy, weed choked stream!   

        

      The trip was too short.  I told the kids that they needed to focus a bit less on the townie stuff and more on the outdoorsy stuff.  They have so many toys and things anyway that it just doesn't bring them the enjoyment they believe it will.     

          It was good to get to spend time with them.  


Above: East Fork Falls
Below: Looking downstream from East Fork Falls


Above and below: Michael, Tessa, and Papaw at East Fork Falls


Below: Gravley Falls. It is a little murky looking thanks to the heavy rain. 


Above:  Handsome and goofy Michael age 14 at Gravley Falls.  He ended up with a leech on his foot!  
I would have thought that water was too cold and fast moving for leeches!  I know they are said to be a little further south in Lake Wattacoo. 


Above: Michael being silly with a rock . Little does he know that at this moment a leech is drinking his blood!

     
Above and below:  A chute exiting the edge of the pool at Gravley Falls and continuing downstream
Tessa standing watching the stream flow onward. 



Below is a video of East Fork Falls




Last of all a video of Gravley Falls . 





      I have still got two waterfalls left to hike on the Kevin Adam's 100 List.   I had imagined I'd be long finished with them by this time of year.    I pray that perhaps next weekend I can get a date weekend with just Kenny and finish those.    

Below is a doodle from this trip.  Lightning bugs and a mason jar. 


1 comment:

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝