Monday, July 15, 2019

The Abe Hole with David and Michael

Pale Jewelweed

 

David Sands
Michael Lindsey
Dana Koogler 

Wednesday July 10, 2019

Hike Distance 1 mile approx. Photos are here beginning with frame #912



 My grandson Michael, now age 10, attended a gathering of my hiking buddies at a Gosmokies event a couple years back.   He liked everyone, but one giant kid made a serious impression on him.  He'd been after me for awhile to arrange it so he could go hiking with none other than David Sands to The Abe Hole in the Smokies.  He had seen trip photos of that spot and between his liking David so much and the beauty of the place he just had to go.   I reached out to David and let him know.   He quickly responded sure he'd go.  A few days later he let me know when and set up a meeting place and time.   Michael was over the moon.   

    We met him Wednesday morning at Sugarlands Visitor Center.   I knew from his directions where Abe Hole was supposed to be and that it was not a long hike.  I have always respected David and his companions in their extreme hiking prowess.  I gained an even greater appreciation for him and them on this trek.   I was about at the limits of my abilities to do this.  
Yet here I was and do it or die trying for Michael.   David was a total gentleman and at various times along the route helped me by trading me packs, making sure I didn't get my camera ruined, suggesting better, easier ways to go up the creek for my short old legs.   It was fun and dramatic, but tough.  David and Michael made it look simple.   

      We came to the first large swimming hole a short distance before Abe Hole.  I got in there.
So did David.    We pressed on a bit further and between there and the final destination the terrain got a little tougher if you can believe that.    I did see the big boulder that indicates where   Big Branch meets the main stream.     Big Branch this time of year was very pretty where it flowed into the larger creek, but it was a smaller flow than I'd have expected.

      The terrain on up past that got flat and more open on creek right.   I took that route while the men went up creek left.    Michael described it to me and I was glad I did not do that nor see what he did.    All was fine, but it had some pucker factor.  

        I was tired and just sat down to rest and watch these two swim.  I took videos and photos.   
I gathered my strength to get out of here.  David offered two suggestions for a return route.
We could go back the way we came or go out toward the road and walk the road to the jeep.
We discussed it and since Michael had other things he wanted to accomplish today we opted for the land route.   It was much shorter and easier, but it had its own perils.  Yellow jackets in the ground.  The biggest patch of poison ivy I have ever seen which we had to wade through.  Weeds, stinging nettles and briars galore.  David had been recently stung very badly so he was justifiably paranoid.  We just kept our eyes peeled for snakes and bees and plowed through.  

    We did see an old chimney pile and an old road bed!   We finally climbed into the creek to finish our walk up a small drainage.     Hot, tired and sweaty we arrived back at the jeep in one piece.  I was thrilled at having survived it.  I was thrilled Michael got his wish and did not get injured.  It was extremely nice for David to take time for us.  He is a lot of fun as we know all the better now.  This man does everything with the gusto we should all strive for.  

           I also realize now why his trips seldom involve many photos.   It is darn near impossible.  He did take the Go Pro and swim and jump with it so the video of the place is spectacular!

  


 David and Michael and a log bridge crossing

 First swimming hole.. so clear and beautiful




Sun filtering down through the trees looks so pretty.
What a perfect day!

 Two kids.. one little.. one big!
Big Branch marker 

Above and below.. Michael on the rocks jumping and getting ready to jump then climbing out.



Below: A short video of the Abe Hole and jumping, swimming. Some underwater footage!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝