Thursday, December 3, 2020

Turkey Pen Falls & Happy Top Church Exploring

 

Yellow gum tree leaf near the McMurray Cemetery

Turkey Pen Cascade & Happy Top Church Exploring


Sunday Nov. 22, 2020


Dana & Kenny Koogler & grandson, Michael

Pictures are here: click right arrow to advance to next frame


Below is a map showing the general area.  McMurray Cemetery and Happy Top Church are shown on the map.  




Here is a link to Turkeypen Falls on Tennessee Landforms 



    Kenny had to work Saturday, but had agreed to go with me to do something fun as long as it did not involve a long drive.   We talked it over and agreed to go down to Vonore to the Turkeypen Area.   It is the edge of Citico Creek and we had only been there once before.   I had several things I was wanting to see.    He thought that sounded good and we would go.   Our grandson Michael called Saturday night wanting to see us on Sunday.   We asked if he and Tessa would like to go with us? For Michael it was a definite yes and for Tessa a definite no.   We came by their house Sunday morning to pick him up.   I had packed us a lunch and we hit the road.    

       We didn't take too long to get there and I had printed off directions for each thing I hoped to see and do.   They fell into a line more or less.   The first place we came to was the McMurray Cemetery along the shores of Chilhowee Lake. 
Above is a photo of some device designed to work on the dam says Kenny.  
He is of the opinion it was never put to use that they have devised better ways of doing maintenance.  
Above: Kenny and Michael at the campsite by the McMurray Cemetery.  
I would not want to camp there by the graves. 
Above: The McMurray Cemetery.  The entire area within the stone wall is the cemetery. The iron fenced in area contains three or four graves aside from the rest.  Ancient superstitions are why some cemeteries are enclosed in iron.   It is supposed to keep the dead from wandering or following you back home. 
Above: Kenny and Michael taking in the graves within the wrought iron fencing. 


above and below: It is hard to see in the photos but the graves here have settled very badly.  The areas are depressed where the coffins eroded and the soil sunk in. 

Once we had satisfied our curiosity about the old cemetery we progressed onward toward the Happy Top church.

    We had planned on doing a hike back in Citico, but forgot our blaze orange. We saw trucks of hunters parked along roads so we decided the safe thing to do was stay out of the woods.   We need to start leaving some blaze orange in our packs and in the vehicles this time of year.    We did scout an area for a hike once hunting season is over.   


        We found the Happy Top church without any difficulty.   
It got its name because of the revivals held there in the past.   Worshippers would get the Holy Ghost and get happy so thus the name.   It was originally constructed by Quakers and used as both a worship house and school.  It is a very remote area that sits on the far shores of Chilhowee Lake.   It is a quaint, historic old church and the door was unlocked.  We were able to go in and look around.   There is a wood burning stove for heat.  Lots of old hymnals lying around.   They have put a picnic table outside on the lawn so we were able to sit down there and eat our lunch.   The sun came out and it was very warm.   We soaked in it and enjoyed the pretty Autumn day.

Above and below: Happy Top Church
Below: cemetery by the church

Outhouse at the church
Interior of the church. Very simple. 
Above: wood burning stove for heat
Above:  a hand carved grave marker made of native stone.  Mattie Andrson.


Above: we passed by this old deserted lodge at Turkeypen.  It is situated on 3200 acres and they want $9 million dollars for it.   It will sit there til Hell freezes over at that price.  It is not a real desirable location.  
Above the stream that forms Turkeypen Cascade

Above: Turkeypen Cascade

    We stopped to see the Turkeypen Cascade.   Kenny was not feeling the greatest.
I could something was bothering him.   He was trying to put a brave face on it and go on anyhow.    I was still down at the base of the falls. I  noticed he and Michael going back toward the jeep.   I figured they'd seen all they wanted to see.  I  continued taking my photos and video.   
Michael appeared at the top of the cascade looking down on me from 30 feet above trying  to explain to me where Papaw had gone.  I could not hear him so he acted it out for me.  He grabbed his belly. He grabbed his own butt and squatted down.  Apparently lunch did not agree with Papaw.  Wow.  Kenny really DIDN'T feel good.   Once I quit laughing I climbed back out of there.    Kenny was in the jeep and I asked him if he was ok. He laughed and said yes. He was all better. Below is a short video clip of the falls.



          We worked our way back along the road.  I could see out on the lake the bridge supports for the former Babcock lumber company train.   We pulled over so I could get some photos of that. It was a pretty spot.  
Above: boat ramp at Citico

Above: you can barely make out the bridge supports in the lake



 We ran across what must have been a remnant of the old Citico Road. We stopped to have a look at that and see if it continued.  It had mile markers along it still!
I was prowling the woods when Michael and Kenny came toward me.   The look on Kenny's face let me know Michael and I should go back toward the jeep.
He was not alright.  

    We took a look at  Citico Creek and how beautiful it was.   I could see more bridge supports still along the edges of the stream in the distance.  This had to be where the old lumber rail line came across Citico Creek.   I tried to get photos of it but the way I tried was unsuccessful.  I will go back sometime and try to just walk down to them from the bridge.  

  
Above: I am looking upstream on Citico Creek
Mile post along Old Citico Road
What must be a portion of the old Citico Road.  This road connected Vonore and Citico prior to the lake's creation .
Above: downstream on Citico Creek. you can barely make out the bridge stanchions.

     We loaded up in the jeep and headed out to find Old Citico Road.  
Kenny pulled over to let me see if I could find the access to those bridge supports from the old rail line.  I walked into the woods alone.   I encountered a siding and a split in the line.  I couldn't see the supports or even where I was in relation to them.   This is the point where I decided to forget this approach and try walking down from the bridge itself.  

    I turned and walked out of the woods to find Michael alone.  He was holding a Christmas ornament he found lying in the road.   

Above: Joy to the World!  


Above: Babcock Lumber rail bed.  It splits eventually into a T shape!

 
    It was mere moments that Kenny came trucking out of the woods with some expletives and the very serious "We're going home now. No more stops!"  
He was carrying a roll of T.P.   Michael and I got in the jeep obediently.  
This day trip and hike sure did not turn out as planned, but there was nothing for it.   We'll have to try again another day!


    














       

2 comments:

  1. I have been looking at the Turkey Pen property for a few weeks now and have been wowed by its beauty. I was surprised to see your comment about it being "not a ideal location". Did you label as such because of its remoteness? Or was there something else that made it not ideal? Any info would be great before I decide to visit all the way from MN. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning. Glad to find your comment and respond to it. I went back and re-read my remark about not being an ideal location. It was for two things 1. remoteness and 2. $9 million is in my opinion an astronomical price for that land despite its beauty. It is not convenient to infrastructure. 3. I was also referring to the idea of trying to run a lodge out of there. It lacks acoutrements to make it attractive to guests. If someone bought it at that price and had the funds to add things like a pool or other things to do.. the location is beautiful. It might be better suited to individual lots for homes or rental properties as opposed to a single lodge. The lodge as it now sits there looks like a cheap, run down, 1970s motel. Email me for other remarks that I'd prefer not to put on here for general consumption if you are serious. Use the contact form on the front, main page of my blog.Top Right. Have a blessed day.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝