Thursday, April 1, 2021

Bull Sink in Early Spring

Rue Anemone was blooming today but not a lot of it.



Bull Sink in Early Spring

4/1/2021

Dana Koogler solo


   I got out today for a little while.  It was cold, but late in the afternoon I took time to ride over to Townsend.  I thought it would be nice to ride back into the back of the national park to check out Bull Sink.  I was seeing all kinds of wildflower photos from various persons and areas.  I hoped that I'd see some flowers today.   It only got up to 49 degrees today and though it was sunny I knew this wasn't very promising for flowers.   I climbed higher in elevation as I went and that caused me to realize that I wasn't likely to see much.  I had hoped to see some good flowers at the sink.  I was also planning on hiking the old logging road that runs below Rich Mountain Trail. Boyd had suggested that to me in the past and I had yet to do it. 

      I pulled into the parking spot and got out of the jeep.  I am always very hot natured, but I was freezing!  I put on my coat which thankfully I had in the back of my vehicle.   I wasn't seeing much, but since I was here I'd go ahead.
I walked down the manway to the sinkhole.    It was about as bleak as I've ever seen it in April.   It was still pretty with the green beginning to show.
A few purple dots and blue dots here and there from wild geranium, blue phlox and one or two deep purple dwarf larkspurs.   Buttercups. Rue anemone.  Hepaticas were up, but just in bud, not opened.  I saw one very newly opened yellow trillium.  It was supposed to be trillium luteum, but it was green as grass through and through.   

       I walked down toward the cave.  The stream that flows into it was as strong as I have ever seen it.  It was making a nice waterfall today.  I very carefully edged my way closer and found a position where I could photograph it safely and get some video footage.   It was really the high spot of the sink today.    Not much else going for it.    

    It was still good to get out and have some fresh air and exercise.  Still grateful not to be in pain also.   I hope I get the chance to come back to see this pretty spot again when and if the flowers ever emerge this Spring which has been very, very slow to arrive.   I know East Tennessee has some crazy ass weather, but this is ridiculous.  Maybe this is the Spring of Deception or Third Winter? 

  
Above: a vignetted look at Bull Sink.. I'm going to call it Bleak House
One lonely little wild geranium
a lone blue phlox
a few dwarf larkspur blooms
Blue skies over a chilly and deep Bull Sink
Beautiful little stream flowing down into the cave in the golden light of evening.
A side long glace at the pretty waterfall formed as the stream descends into the cave.

Above:  The cave and the stream dropping into it.  Love all the green and mossy surfaces.


Below is a short video of the waterfall at the cave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝