Monday, April 5, 2021

Little Cove Branch Falls at Catoosa

 

Spring beauties at Catoosa near Potters Ford


Little Cove Branch Falls at Catoosa

4/3/2021

Kenny & Dana Koogler


Photos are here Catoosa Pix




and Cumberland County Pix





Little Cove Branch Falls Info on Tennessee Landforms 


  Kenny and I had been waiting for the open dates for a certain section of Catoosa so we could  hike in to see the waterfall on Little Cove Branch.   It coincided with the finishing up of the lengthy crane job he had been on.  He was anxious to get outdoors and stay all day.  It was so nice to be able to plan to do something as a couple.   We got up Saturday morning packed us a lunch,  snacks, and headed out.  Before leaving we decided it might be well to take the rope.   You never know when you'll need it, and I did not want anything to thwart us this time.  

      It would have been faster to drive in via Hebbertsburg Road crossing  the bridge over Daddy's Creek just before  Devils Breakfast Table.   I tried to learn what the status of it was after recent flooding.  Having no luck with current news we opted to drive the longer way around via Peavine Road. Doing this took longer, but  ensured that we would be able to arrive at the trailhead.   We knew the river would  be up today.  One thing we  agreed on:  We did NOT want to drive all the way out there only to find that we could not ford the river because the bridge was gone or so rickety we dared not use it.   We decided also to go all the way down to the bridge prior to hiking so we could see for ourselves and know.


  Driving in through Fairfield Glade is always nice.   We had never driven Peavine Road all the way through.   The new scenery was  also nice.  We happened upon a fire lookout we weren't expecting.  Right by Peavine Firetower Road is Pilot Knob tower.   It looks to be privately owned now, but you can still pull over and take a picture of it .  It is in good shape.  I couldn't help noticing the irony of the fact the guy who bought the property with the fire tower.... had built a detached garage next to it which burned to the ground!  

  

above and below: a couple images of the lookout tower.  

  The drive was  uneventful and long, but the day was pretty.   We  crossed a bridge over a sparkling stream.  We got out for me to see the creek and snap a few pictures.   I later looked at the map to learn this was Otter Creek.  
Above: Looking upstream on Otter Creek and Below: a downstream view

Below is a short video that illustrates what a nice little spot this is


   We pushed onward toward our destination .  The only other stop we made prior to hiking was driving a few hundred yards further to view the Daddy's Creek bridge.  It is shown below. Rickety looking, not safe for a vehicle, but probably ok for foot travel. We also noticed some fresh survey markers on either side of the river.  Can't help wondering if there are plans to replace the bridge in the not too distant future? 

Above: a look at Daddy's Creek just above the bridge.  
Above: possible survey marker for an upcoming bridge replacement?  

Below: If you look across at the parking area there is a mate to this orange marker.
Below: Daddy's Creek bridge.  You can see how much water has been up over it by checking out the stream banks on the side where we were. It was under five or six feet of water easily.

  We parked along the road and began our hike. The first quarter mile is on a nicely constructed trail. Thanks Shauna and Crew!  Once you get to the top of the ridge you can see a bridge below you which crosses Little Cove Branch.  The last attempt we made involved trying to bushwhack and rock hop up that stream. 
Today we tried another approach that proved  more fruitful.   There is no trail to the falls whatsoever.   We have a little experience finding stuff like this so we figured it out. Today it was easier since we picked the correct approach. It was also easier to find because you can hear the falls well before you see it.  All told the hike to it is about 1/2 mile with half on a trail and half off trail.

      We did not see a whole bunch of wildflowers along this stretch of trail.
The only thing really blooming well was a good amount of purple phacelia.  It bloomed on the sunny slopes near boulders.

   Below: purple phacelia






Above: Kenny setting the rope for our descent. 

Above and below:  a look at the steep terrain filled with boulders, holes, and brush


   It was not too bad and soon we could not only hear the falls roar, but got the first glimpse of it through the trees.  It was going to be great today if we could manage to get ourselves where we could view it.
Below: first glimpse of the falls

   While Kenny was rigging things up I took a few photos and a minute or two of video clips.  I got done and stowed my camera gear. I was just finishing up when I heard him Woo Hoo!  He had gone on down first and he was happy!  I put my backpack on but left my tripod up top.  I did not want to try to manage to go down rope with that clunky thing on my side.  I'd just have to do without it.  I sat down on my butt and scooted forward to the rope and the anchor point.  The terrain was sloped and I did not trust it.  Rocks the size of shoe boxes were trying to come on down with me.  I realized we should have brought helmets, but had not done so.
No matter.. A minute later I was safely down.   It was not bad with something to hang onto.  I was very dirty, but that is survivable.  

    We were down and had a front row seat to this amazingly huge, roaring waterfall at last!  We went behind the falls and around to the far side.  The spray was unbelievable today.   Once on the far side we were able to view the falls in comfort and get back far enough to avoid the heavy spray.   Little Cove Branch Falls begins high up on the plateau along Hawn Ridge and beyond.  Its headwaters lie on both sides of Otter Creek Road.   It is a significant watershed, but the flow dwindles down a lot during hot weather.  The heavy recent rains had it roaring like a lion today making it worth the effort to venture in to see.  



          
The plunge pool at the base of the sixty foot falls was aquamarine in color. It has a 15 foot section above.  I strongly suspect on a day like today there is quite a bit more to see upstream if one could get into the headwaters.   I know of old roads up there, but we have not tried those yet.   Kenny was so enjoying this adventure today he would turn around and go back to explore in a hot minute!

         Above: one look at the clear aquamarine waters of the plunge pool.  


  
    We took our time and enjoyed every moment of together time and this beautiful falls.   I could feel the negative ions from it recharging my batteries.
Around us the amphitheater of stone that time and the water have carved out was in deep gloom in some places while others were illuminated by pretty sunlight.  I saw one clump of icicles hanging from a limb near me, but dripping like crazy. I imagine by day's end they were gone.   Boulders the size of rooms were downstream from our position.  I could look back and see the point we'd just been at.  I could see perfectly how crazy it was the amount of time and effort it took to get that super short distance. It took us twenty minutes or more to go less than 1/10th mile. I measured it and it was right at 0.08.   That is about 400 feet.  
Off trail travel takes you from miles per hour to hours per mile.   This is something to factor in when traveling off trail.  You might be a 2 mph hiker on an ordinary day, but that doesn't matter when there is no trail.  The terrain has ultimate dominion over your progress. 

 Below: a profile view of Little Cove Branch Falls 
Below: full front shot of Little Cove Branch Falls 





Above: a shot from far enough back to see the upper drop of the falls. 

 
Above: We started off on the other side above this boulder about 50 feet.  
Above: last icicles in the gorge melting rapidly.


Above: a photo lifted from the Go Pro camera. You can barely see Kenny behind the falls for scale.


Above: Go Pro photo taken directly behind the falls
Below: Go Pro photo taken to the far left of the falls. 

   We enjoyed our time here, and were delighted to have finally made it to view this beauty in all its power and might!

    I spent some time behind the falls getting Go Pro footage.  Kenny had gone downstream a little just poking around while I worked on photography.  He came back with a report that going up the creek would have been a near impossibility.
Glad we did not try it again.

Above: a pretty cascade below the plunge pool of the falls

And below a video of the falls that includes footage from my Canon camera as well as Go Pro footage.



    We made our way over to the rope and climbed up.  Kenny made me go first so he could make sure I did okay as well as so he'd be in position to use the rope then retrieve it.    That rope made all the difference.  I got to the top and I was relieved, but shaking like a leaf for a minute or so.   I sat down to repack my gear and get a sip of something to drink then I was good to go.   It wasn't bad hiking back, but I noticed the steep terrain more on the way out.  I picked a couple different spots where if I had  I fallen I'd have gone sledding in the leaves, but not gotten hurt.

     It was great to see trail again. It was great to see the road again!  Back at the vehicle we had lunch and cooled off.   Once we were finished here we planned to go toward Hinch Mountain to look for wildflowers.  It involved the long drive back across Catoosa, through Crossville and out into Cumberland County.  
 We made one alteration to the trip out. Kenny wanted to go by Potters Ford to see the bridge and the Obed River there.   I was happy to go along since that is a very pretty spot.  

          Potters Ford bridge had a small SUV sitting there on it and a fellow who refused to budge.  We were thankfully able to go round him and pull over to park at the end.    The only other people there were a dad and his little boy fishing from the bank.   The grassy area around the bridge was full of tiny pink and white spring beauties.  I got some photos of those and the stream while Kenny checked the map to see which way he wanted to go next.   

 Below: pretty and tiny Spring Beauties

Above: upstream on the Obed at Potters Ford
Below: a downstream view of the Obed

  While on the bridge taking pictures I had a chance to speak with the old fellow in the car.   He was real nice. He told me he was born and raised right around here.  He was 82 years old.  He told me that a week prior the bridge we were on was five feet under flood waters!  I could see debris on the bridge and the banks so I did not doubt him.  He told me that the old bridge was a low water deal and so they'd become accustomed to seeing it flooded or damaged.  The area residents never expected to see the "new" bridge here under water.  He also told me that there were no longer any fish in the river.  He attributed it to the sewer discharge from Fairfield Glade.  He said "It wasn't supposed to hurt anything, but that doesn't seem to have been true".   I asked him if he'd seen that dad and his son catch anything? He said no and he doubted if they would.   

        We left and headed out toward Genesis Road and Crossville.   
Underwood Branch flows on the left side of Potters Ford Road and was pretty. Lots of cascades coming down it.   We also saw one spot where paper white narcissus and double daffodils were on a bank.  Someone had to live there in the past.

      Finally we were out on the road and heading past Cumberland Mountain State Park to Hinch Mountain.    I got my camera ready because I wanted to take photos of Sutton Ford Dam of Basses Creek.   It is visible from the road, but there is no good pull over and there are houses all around.   
Below: despite having to snap the photo from the vehicle on the bridge it came out rather pretty.  I just need to pull in to those folks driveway one day and ask them if I can park there long enough to get some photos.  I doubt they'd mind.


    We encountered a lot of trucks with trailers.. obviously folks going four wheeling today. It made sense because it was so pretty, but the riding in that area is minimal at best.     It is mostly foot travel or old gravel roads.   It is getting to the point where far as I know it isn't worth bringing the RZR over here. Today we encountered something that never fails to annoy me.   A gaggle of jeepers.  About thirty of them all in a pack creeping along at 10 mph on Hinch Mountain.  Boring.

     We crept along the road in my jeep, but not because we wanted to.  It is rough as a cob.   My jeep handles it fine, but a side by side has a suspension built for it. It can move right along rapidly.   A jeep has to creep.   I could tell it was early for wildflowers, but I was hopeful just the same.   I was seeing a few things.  
A tiny bit of wild geranium, blue phlox, one lone trillium luteum.. supposed to be yellow, but green as grass.   Saw a few bloodroot blooms, trout lilies, and rue anemone.    I finally found what I was hoping to see.. the main purpose of the trip. 
Dwarf trilliums.   I found hundreds of them!  I got out and photographed them to my hearts content.   They are Trillium pusillum... dwarf wakerobin.  It is rare and endangered.

   
Above: Pink form of dwarf trillium 


Above: bloodroot is an early bloomer
Above: toothwort
Above and below: freshly emerged grouping of Trillium pusillum

Above: a very pretty pink form of rue anemone
above: purple dwarf larkspur-- very early for this

Below: a nice trout lily. saw lots of these early bloomers


  

   We continued up to one of the turn off roads for Hinch Mountain.   This is where we encountered the great long line of jeeps.   I was glad to see them get gone. 
We did not tarry on the mountain for the higher we climbed the more boring the scenery got.  The rock formations on the slopes are pretty cool, but nothing was blooming up high.   You do have partial views off the mountain at the valley below.
We went to where the old shacks were just to get turned around.  The shacks are still there and DC still loves pussy, money and weed, but not as much as he used to. The graffiti is badly fading and only one of the shacks is still partially standing.   I get tickled every time I see this foolishness.  It is so trashy, but the graffiti is so white trash caveman that I just can't help laughing.

Shack #2 flattened
Shack #1 flattened
above: shack #3 still standing, but just barely. 
 
and DC still loves pussy, money and weed. Good for you. D.C. must stand for Dumb Caveman.

Once we got turned round Kenny had a navigational swivet as he is wont to do.
He did not want to go back the way we'd come.  He asked me if the road got better the further east we went?  I told him yes, eventually.   We drove Happy Top Road all the way out to Hwy 68 in Spring City.   It was a pretty drive.  We went past a real pretty turquoise pond I had to get a photo of.   We also had a nice view of the plateau. 

Turquoise pond

Looking across the plateau at the mountain ranges to the east.


         
  It was a long ride back home, but we were glad to be off the dirt and gravel road onto black top.  The rural scenery out Happy Top Road was enjoyable.  I put the window down to feel the breeze. The air smelled marvelous! Fresh cut grass is like perfume only better.   All in all a great day.   I got to see the two main things I hoped for. The big waterfall and the tiny trilliums.   

   We did not get to rest long once we were home.   The phone started ringing.
Our granddaughter Tessa age 7 invited us over to have a steak dinner. uh... yes please! It was great! I did not have to fix dinner at 7 pm.   We had filet, pasta salad, baked potatoes, and roast brussel sprouts.  That and a big old glass of Hunza water.
We gave our grandchildren Tessa and Michael their Easter baskets which they loved!  They gave me a nice compliment. "Nanny these are the BEST Easter baskets ever!"  and lots of hugs and kisses.    I spent a lot of time personalizing each child's things in their basket.   We had to sneak over to Jared & Lydia's next to drop off Easter Bunny baskets.  I went in to keep Gabe busy while Papaw sneaked them in the back door.  We arrived to their sweet home to hear Mia in her walker yelling at her toys and at her brother.   She is six months old and loves to yell.
She hates shoes.   I gathered them up on my lap for hugs and kisses.  Tippy my granddog had to play fetch with me.  Gabe showed me how his remote control truck worked.   Mia sat on my lap and played with a busy box I got her.  

     All in all we had a blessed Easter weekend. God is great every single day!

2 comments:

  1. Loved the commentary and photos. Sure wish my knees woulld allow me to continue this sort of adventure. Hannah and I love to go, we just can't go as far as we used to. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting. I can relate. My knees being worn out is causing my lower back to get tired very quickly and I have to sit down. I do better walking than standing.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝