Friday, July 2, 2021

Waterfall Keepers of North Carolina Alarka Falls Cleanup

 

Flame azalea growing at Heintooga 

 


Waterfall Keepers of NC Alarka Falls Cleanup 

Summer Clean Up  Top & Bottom Trails 

Monday June 21 thru Thursday June 24, 2021

Dana Koogler 


Photos are here: 

Alarka Waterfall Keepers Trip Pix 



Consider Volunteering or Joining the Ranks of 

Waterfall Keepers of NC 


  I realized after my last visit to Harmon Den to clean up Little Fall Branch Falls that I was growing very bored with this area.  I have enjoyed being part of Waterfall Keepers, but I was worn out with the monotony of visiting this area.

  It really hit home during the time of year when not much is blooming, and there was not a lot to see or do.   My clean up duties did not take long thankfully, but I knew I needed to remedy this.  I decided to adopt Alarka Falls which has always been special to me.   I submitted my application and let Waterfall Keepers know what I was considering.  I will likely keep Alarka Falls and let Little Fall Branch Falls and Lemon Falls go in 2022.   I will at least see these through in this current year.  The year was half gone, but I could at least get in a Summer clean up of top and bottom trailheads at Alarka. I would also fit in an Autumn clean up.

    I had quite a few things I wanted to do over in Cherokee and the vicinity.

I considered using some of our rewards points to get a hotel room for a night or two.   Kenny asked me one evening if I'd like him to take the camper over for several days to a week?  I readily agreed.   It is always more fun staying in our nice camper than in a hotel room.   He made arrangements to pull the camper over to Happy Holiday RV Village.  I was excited about it.   He went round I-40 and Waynesville to come in.  I went across Hwy 441... Newfound Gap Road since I had to take my jeep for the week.  


Oconaluftee Pioneer Farm Museum 


One of the things I wanted to do was stop off at the Pioneer Farm Museum.

I was hoping to find the farm garden looking good and some of the heirloom flowers and gladiolas in bloom.  I arrived to take a quick pit stop amid a huge crowd of visitors.   I was able to find a parking spot near the original visitor center.  I took a leg stretcher walk to the pioneer farm display.   It was buzzing with people.  It did not take long to see that the garden was not even planted. It was a mess of weeds.  The heirloom malva hollyhocks were not up.  The irises were spent.  The gladiolas did not bloom at all.   Bummer.  So much for that.  I did check out the old farm buildings briefly and take a look at the river flowing past.   It was not a bad stop, but somewhat disappointing. 


Oconaluftee Pioneer Farm 


Outhouse at Pioneer Farm Museum. Someone is working on the flowers. Not pretty this year though. 

Inside view of the house wash basin and pitcher

Inside view of house, bed, fire place, sewing machine, rocking chair. above hangs a quilt frame. 

Oconaluftee River in the shade



Blue Ridge Parkway & Balsam Mountain Road


   I got in touch with Kenny to see where he was? He was at Waynesville.  I had about an forty-five minutes to an  hour until he arrived at the campground.  I decided to go ahead and try to see some of the views and the purple fringed orchids on Balsam Mountain.  I got behind a mowing outfit along the parkway.

That cinched it for me. I was determined I was going to see those orchids before they got mowed down!  I went ahead as quickly as I could.  I did stop to see some native azaleas, mountain laurel, and views in addition.  Mostly I hunted orchids. I had visited here in the Fall and this past May so I was not keen on hiking or checking out everything this go round.  I would keep my focus on the purple fringed orchids.   I believed in the past I had photographed both large and small purple fringed orchids here.  I was apparently mistaken.  My friend Betsy Lee went and found all of them to be the small sort.   I thought perhaps she just missed seeing the large ones?  If I ever photographed large ones there  you could not prove it by me.  I found she was correct. Every single one I found was the small sort. Platanthera psycodes... the ones with the barbell shaped nectary.  So that means I will need some time next Summer to try to photograph the large ones.   The views today were magnificent! The day was clear and beautiful. The temperatures were nice and cool up high.   Azaleas were everywhere.  Mountain laurel also bloomed, but was past its prime.  It was a worthwhile side trip.  Although I learned the mowers had already been along Balsam Mountain Road, the orchids were still standing. They did a good job. 

       


Yellow orange flame azaleas blooming on the parkway

View off the Blue Ridge Parkway at the intersection with Balsam Mountain Road

Mountain Laurel turning brown on the edges on Balsam Mountain Road

View from Mile  High Overlook

Reddish orange flame azleas on Balsam Mountain

Beardtongue blooming along Balsam Mountain Road

Purple fringed orchid

Me pointing out the barbell shaped nectary opening on the orchid

Pretty trio of purple fringed orchids... all of them small. The large and small don't have anything to do with size. It is the shape of the nectary opening that helps determine which one you are seeing. 

Once I got done checking out stuff on the spur road and parkway I headed on toward the campground to meet Kenny.  He was going to have to head home tonight for work in the morning, but we would have until night to spend together.   


Happy Holiday RV Village 

Monday 

  Happy Holiday RV Village is the campground we stayed at back in May.

We liked it so much we decided we would give it another go.  It is well run and neat.   It has a swimming pool, playground, and a store. I brought my swim suit in case I wanted to give the pool a try.   I ended up not doing so mainly because the water was not horrible, but was a rather murky color.  I don't think they keep it as clean as they possibly could.   It was greenish.    All in all it was a nice stay.

I   would stay here again.   It turned out a bit stressful because Kenny had to work all day Thursday and I had to be out of there by eleven a.m. on Friday.   I spent considerable time all day Thursday fretting over whether he'd get there or not? 

I won't ever go through this again while he is working.  I wouldn't have cared to have to stay until Saturday morning, but I won't worry anymore if he is going to make it back to tow the camper or not.  

         



Duck pond at the campground with its fountains

Pool and playground at the RV village

The Koog-Mobile Cruiser all set up.  Apparently this is going to be the last trip taken in that camper.  Another one is on the way and this one is to be sold!



Soco Creek flows through the campground


  I don't spend a lot of time in the campground regardless, but I got some odd looks from the neighbors.  Who is this strange woman with her vehicle full of tools, trash bags, buckets and so forth?  I know it looks funny to see a Grandma dragging in with mud and dirt on her and work gloves and boots on.  Keep 'em guessing. 

  

       While there I did manage to drive 2 miles up the road and visit Bearmeat's Indian Den.  I bought a new bird feeder for myself since mine got torn up when someone backed over it recently.    I got some anti itch lotion for Summer rashes from weeds.  I also got Lydia some Kickingbird Pottery for her birthday.   It was a nice visit to the store. My only regret is that I had to leave on Thursday and Greg and Stormy Warren were at Bearmeat's on Friday.  Bummer.  


   Before Kenny went home Monday evening we went grocery shopping.

There is ONE grocery store in Cherokee. Food Lion.  They need to get the tribe another and better grocery store.   Bad enough for me to deal with as a traveler. I cannot imagine coping with that day in and day out.   We had supper together and Kenny motored on home around 8 p.m.  I watched tv and read and did some fixing up and organizing of the camper.  I would not likely have bothered had I known then we were about to sell it.  

         


        Whittier & Upper Alarka Trailhead 

Tuesday

          Alarka Falls has a trail to it from the top on the Whittier side.

It also has a trail to it from the base on the Alarka side.  It is hardly ever accessed from the top trail.  I think the "trail" up top is actually an access road for the Nantahala National Forest.   It has been a really pretty hike in the past, but it has gotten very overgrown and boggy.   Kenny and I planned to rent a wheeled string trimmer and come over to clear it out one weekend.  I figured in August.  I decided I would start up top today to determine if it still needed clearing? I did not want to pay for an equipment rental only to learn the work had already been done.  

    I came round from the Qualla Boundary into Whittier.  I pulled over near the railroad tracks to take pictures.  It is a very quaint old village with some oddities.

Railroad tracks in Whittier




Side view of this old building next to the tracks.

Front on view of the building by the tracks. It is mainly a facade! The material is not brick but paneling!  I would love to know what the purpose of this structure is? 

A very old house by the tracks. I had read somewhere this was a boarding house back in the day.  


   I continued up the mountain on a long, winding road until I arrived at Wesser Gap. I stopped here and got out to hike some of the side trails.  I also picked up trash starting here and going all the way to the upper trailhead.  I saw some sundrops, some mountain laurel and native azaleas, but not much else in the way of flowers.   A few fire pinks also.     I cleaned up two campsites, but thankfully there was not a whole bunch of trash. I only gathered up about 15 gallons of trash from the entire area.  Much of what I picked up was deeply embedded in the ground as if it had been there a long while.  That is also good news for hopefully it will not accumulate fast again.  

     

      I won't give an in depth account of the attempt to hike the upper trail out to the top of the falls.  I got about half mile out the 1.50 mile trek to the falls and encountered a terrible situation.  One part of the trail is so boggy and the mud so deep it nearly sucked the boots off my feet.  I made it out to the Christmas Tree plantation part and past that just a little ways.  I plowed through chest high grass, weeds, and briars.   I was extremely concerned because I could not see my feet. I  just knew it was a bad idea to continue lest I get snake bit.  About the time I decided enough was enough I looked down and there coiled up in the middle of the trail or what was left of it... was a big snake.  I am not sure if it was poison or not, but I screamed and tore out of there. I was over it.  I made it back to the jeep in record time.  So yes! Hell yes! the trail needs cleaned out.  And It isn't going to happen during hot weather.  If Kenny will go back with me during the Fall before they close this road I will do it.  

          I had to park across the road from the trailhead usual parking spot. 

It is because someone has been pulling up fence posts designed to keep people out of the fields at Pigpen Flats and going four wheeling there.   The trailhead parking spot is a quagmire.  It has actually dried up some since May, but it is still bad. I stopped to pick up a little trash there.  I could hear a conversation down near the creek.  I hoped I wasn't about to run into some undesirable character.  I got in the jeep and headed out toward the stream.  I was going to drive up and hike to Cowee Bald lookout tower.  A smiling man was standing there messing with his cell phone and his two chocolate lab dogs were in the stream.  I was very relieved to see it was only a couple friendly someone's instead of a crazy person.   I had enough scares for awhile.   

    I pulled down to the creek and stopped.  I got out to take pictures of the dogs.

The man laughed and told me "He ain't gonna git out unless you come on toward the creek."  I let him know I just wanted to take the dog's photos which I did. One of them came up to greet me.  I petted his head and got in the vehicle to ford the stream.  It was so deep that I had to get over far as I could to the right.  This was perfect because the other dog was lying down in the deepest part of the stream to my left.  He was so hot and enjoying the stream so much he never got up.  I waved to him and his nice man and went my way.  


Above: sundrops 

Azalea in bloom along trail 86F 

This is 86F ... in a good spot.  I did not dare take photos in the bad places.  

Trail 86F in a real open spot.  Back when the whole trail was like this it was a pleasant walk. 

Above fire pinks bloom on 86F

A nice man and his two chocolate labs cooling off in the creek.  


           I made the Lincoln Town Car Turn and headed slowly up to Cowee Bald to hike to the tower.   It was a pretty drive and there were a few things blooming.  Goatsbeard, bowman's root, azaleas of a few different colors, fire pinks, beardtongue, sundrops, and virginia spiderwort were in bloom. I saw one white Clinton's lily in bloom. The only one I've seen this year.   I saw huge masses of deep green ferns.    I crept along enjoying the wildflower display.  I saw a rabbit and some turkeys.   

     I pulled over and parked at the turn around spot near the gate for the tower access road.   I hiked from the gate to the tower which was about 1/2 mile one way.   It was a nice gradual hike and the temperature was comfortable.  The air smelled fresh and the scenery was nice.   I did not see anything too exciting, but it had been ten years or so since I last visited the tower.  I got up the first sign of man made enterprise past the gate. It is a row of communications buildings and equipment locker buildings.  I listened to the low hum of technology up here on this otherwise quiet mountain.  It reminded me of an episode of The X-Files where Mulder goes to Aricebo in the jungles of Puerto Rico to check out the SETI project (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence)  and alien mayhem ensues.  👽𝐗 The Truth Is Out There! 

       I was glad to be past the drone of communications equipment.  As I approached the tower I was treated to more native azaleas and a large cluster of Virginia Spiderwort.   The view to the east of the Cowee Mountains was serene and silent.  The mountain range ambles along in shades of blue and green capped by a froth of white fluffy clouds.  

Above: a view through the frame of the Cowee Bald tower of the mountains in the distance.   What a beautiful view!



Cowee Bald tower from the far side at the bottom. The vignetting makes it look like it is against the globe!

Above: I am sitting on the top steps of the tower looking back the way I came.  



Looking out from beneath the tower 

Virginia spiderwort

Cowee Bald Tower.  I noticed the addition of a plywood panel over a window!

Beautiful green mass of ferns along the access road

Native azaleas were the flower of the hour up here today.

  I sat down on the steps of the tower and checked out the view around me.  Aside from bird songs and the breeze all was quiet here.   It was very soothing.   I wandered around the bald looking for flowers and interesting things being vigilant against anymore snake encounters.  At last I began my return hike to the jeep.  I took my time and enjoyed the solitude and exercise.

I drove slowly back down the road and thankfully did not encounter any vehicles on my way.  I had the place to myself other than the guy and his dogs earlier today.   I never saw a soul hiking.  


Beardtongue blooms along the Cowee Access road



The part of the bald that was mowed and burned was filled with beautiful wildflowers.  Fire pinks, beardtongue, spiderwort and whorled loosestrife. 

Flame azalea buds 

The ford of Alarka Creek minus the dogs.  🐶


 Once I got back down to the ford of the stream I finished up picking trash at last.  I then realized how tired I had gotten.  I had been at it all day.  I think between the work detail and the snake scare adrenaline I was just wrung out. I headed gradually down off the mountain and back toward the camper.  That would have to be enough for the day.  I arrived home to find the neighbors sitting around sipping tea and reading the paper very leisurely.  I come dragging in muddy, scratched up from briars, sticks and leaves in my wig, toting bags of smelly garbage.   Hoo boy.  Garden club lady, I aint.  At least not today.   


  Lower Alarka Falls Trailhead 

 Wednesday 


  It rained on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.  The rain was out of the area by around 11 a.m.   I had an early lunch at the camper so I'd not have to pack a bunch of stuff.  I then headed out toward the Alarka Falls trailhead to maintain the lower parking area and trail.   It had been five years since I last visited the falls from this side.  The Mountain Jedi, Mike Maples was along on that trip as well as groovy Hiker Mike Gourley.. the musician/hiker/peak bagger.    How we have all missed Mike Maples since his passing away in 2019.    He is now hiking in Heaven with Jesus and his friends and family.

    I hoped I would not have any difficulties with the ramps for the US 74 Expressway.  I remember one trip where Tina and I got on US 19 and were heading who knows where.  I paid closer attention this time and was sure I'd be okay today.   It is 10 miles to the trailhead from the time you leave the expressway.   Long ways back  in the country to get there.  No phone signal either.    I found it with no problems. It is very straightforward. 

      I was not surprised to find no one at the trailhead.  I spent considerable time picking up trash and doing maintenance before I set off on the actual hike to the falls.   

     

A nice couple I met while I was at the falls.  Andrew and Geneva of Chapel Hill, NC.  It was their first time at Alarka Falls.  It was the first time I've encountered people there who did not come with me. All told I saw six people today hiking to the falls.  A group of four and this couple.  I asked their permission to take their photo and put them on the interwebz.  I also invited them to join Waterfall Keepers! 
Alarka Falls 
Above: Alarka Falls.. the main drop of the falls.  It is a couple hundred feet high. Can't see it all in one view. 
Alarka Falls from further down the trail 



A lower cascading section of Alarka Creek 

 Above: My jeep parked at the lower trail.

Above: a look around the parking area showed it to be immaculate once I got done.  I picked up every speck of manmade trash I could find.  That doesn't mean it won't get dirty again. All it would take is one Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers Weekend to ruin it all.   I did not see a speck of any kind of trash on the trail to the falls or around the falls itself.  

  I enjoyed my visit here today.  I had a real feeling of satisfaction when I left and headed back to the campground.   


Lake Junaluska

Thursday

Lake Junaluska Photos

  I woke Thursday morning a little stressed out.  I was fretting over getting out of there on time.   I made myself get out and drive over to Lake Junaluska.   I had for nearly a year been wanting to visit the area.   It was only twenty miles from the campground.  I dearly despise Route 19, but it was the shortest and simplest way to the lake.   I just stuck with it and found the place with no problem.   I had studied the map of the grounds so I at least had an idea where I was going.   I did not get to see everything I wanted, but most of it.

    I stopped to check out the Bethea Visitor Center first.  It was not yet open. I just enjoyed the garden there in front of the place.  They had some beautiful flowers especially lilies!  

Cone flowers and lilies at Lake Junaluska
Coneflowers, daisies and lilies at Lake Junaluska


Coral colored lilies and calla lilies
Coral colored lilies and white calla lilies







Below: a brightly colored variety of Italian Lords and Ladies

Italian Lords and Ladies in a neon pink color























Peach colored tiger lilies
Above: peach colored tiger lilies and daisies


  Next I headed on the short distance to the Rose Walk.   It was easy to find and sits along the north shore of the lake.   It was far longer and prettier than I'd imagined! It is a popular place for taking walks for lots of people.   I drove past the Corneille Bryan Native Garden which I found easily. What I did not figure out until after this trip was where to park in order to see this garden?  It sits in a residential area. It is necessary to park along the lake shore and walk into the cul de sac up into the garden.
  
rose walk
Rose walk
Below are some of my favorites from the walk.  

pink edged rose

pink rose


yellow rose
red rose against the lake opening night
Opening Night Rose against Lake Junaluska


above: a multi flora damask rose. I think this one is my favorite of all.


Above: the pedestrian bridge across the lake.  


  I went to the Susanna Wesley Garden next.  It was real pretty, but not as colorful as the rest I'd seen thus far.  It is a quiet spot for meditation and prayer.
Susanna Wesley Garden
Above: Susanna Wesley garden

I then went on to the Memorial Chapel.  It was idyllic.  It is this old stone church with arches set against the backdrop of Lake Junaluska.   It looks like a scene from a fairy tale.  
Memorial Chapel at Lake Junaluska

Above: Memorial Chapel

Below is a view of the arches and rose garden
archway and rose garden at memorial chapel



archway and petunias
Above: archway and petunias


  I enjoyed the chapel and the flowers around it, but moved on to the next spot.  It is a pier jutting into the lake.   A man and his son were there taking pictures of swans and eagles!  I saw a nesting pair of bald eagles up in the tops of hemlock trees. I got a photo, but it was such a poor image you can't tell what it is up there.  



Below is a stunning view of the surrounding mountains across the lake.  
Lake Junaluska view


Above: pier sticks out into the lake


Above: old boat house along the lake shore


Above: at the end of the pier is this sign
"Be still and know that I am God. " Psalms 46: 10


  I enjoyed my visit to Lake Junaluska, but I was growing a little agitated. I decided I'd best get back to the camper.   I was no longer having fun.  I missed quite a bit more than I'd thought after a second review of the map and the Lake Junaluska website.   

    Right now we are having to hold fast to that scripture above.   Kenny's mother is passing from this life rapidly at age eighty-eight.    His brother and nephew are both battling cancers.   It is an all around tough time.   

   For all my concerns Kenny did make it to pick up the camper around 8 pm.   I helped him get things battened down for the trip home.  We got home around 11:30 p.m. and fell into bed like two zombies.   We were exhausted.  

           It is good to go, but also good to get home to your own bed.  It is not as fun to be away from home when big, serious things are happening in the family.  


Below is a short video of Alarka Falls 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoy hearing from those who read & make use of my blog. I have made some wonderful friendships through emails from readers. I respond to all comments and emails. I appreciate folks reaching out to let me know when my blog entries are not functioning correctly or if the situation somewhere has changed. Many Blessings to you!
Dana 🐝